Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I just want to throw my hat into the ring here and vote for TRAINING.. Also shooting and marksmanship are a perishable skill so you need to train often. That does not mean that you have to burn through 1000 rds a month. I practiced the other day for over an hour and fired less then 100 rds. Doing FTE, FTF and Mag Changes.. Also worked on shooting on the move.. Just remember that every round that you fire must have a purpose.. Oh Ya welcome to a freemans state.. Train hard and Win the Fight!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:03:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Training is always money well spent.

But to answer your question, I'd go with another 16" upper with a quality barrel and a variable optic(1-4x or 1-6x). Your current setup is adequate but it sounds like you're wanting to replace it anyways. 5.56 is plenty out to 300 and it sounds like you've already invested in gear to support it.

Personally I'd run a lightweight 14.5" upper with a 1-4x  with some decent BUIS and call it a day. A good sling with a quality rifle will go a long way, especially the lighter it is.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But to answer your question, I'd go with another 16" upper with a quality barrel and a variable optic(1-4x or 1-6x). Your current setup is adequate but it sounds like you're wanting to replace it anyways. 5.56 is plenty out to 300 and it sounds like you've already invested in gear to support it.

Personally I'd run a lightweight 14.5" upper with a 1-4x  with some decent BUIS and call it a day. A good sling with a quality rifle will go a long way, especially the lighter it is.
View Quote

Any reason to go with a 16 vs a 14.5" with a fixed flash hider?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  Flexibility.  Welding a muzzle device is, shall we say, something of a "commitment."

2.  Small ballistic performance improvement-- the range at which the projectile will fragment is increased.

I recommend one of each.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  Flexibility.  Welding a muzzle device is, shall we say, something of a "commitment."

2.  Small ballistic performance improvement-- the range at which the projectile will fragment is increased.

I recommend one of each.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm going to to replace the barrel either way. I currently have a no-flashhider/no-bayonet Massachusetts barrel. I like my fixed stock ( ACE entry length ), but I want a free-state barrel.

I'll likely be replacing the entire upper and sending the old ones (plus pre-94 mags) to a friend of mine in MA who just got his license.
View Quote

Just send the barrel to adco for threading and put a flash hider on it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I vote keep the 556 and get a 7.62x51 as something else just in case.

I also vote training. Learning how to use your weapon CORRECTLY puts you ahead of 90% of the people in this country.

I am switching most of my personal defense loads to the Federal Fusion 62gr bonded. It's getting excellent ballistics out to further distances and will not break the bank.

I dropped my 13 point this year with federal fusion and it dropped like a bag of rocks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My vote would be for you to keep your AR15 and buy a SR25 pattern gun. Now you have two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Several months ago I moved from Massachusetts to Texas, and I'm looking to replace my 'shtf' rifle. Distances down here are a lot longer than they were in MA, and things aren't as heavily wooded for the most part.

At what distances does 308 become a better choice than 5.56? Is 7.62x39 worth considering?

From what I've seen, I'm thinking the maximum range I need to consider is 300 yards. Beyond that I don't have the skill to hit shit anyways.

Currently I have a 16" AR-15 in 5.56mm with an aimpoint micro on top of it. I'm considering either:

- Replacing the upper with a 20" 5.56mm version

- Replacing the upper with a 7.62x39 version in either 16" or 20"

- Replacing the entire gun with an AR-10

EDIT: I should have mentioned I want to stick with the AR platform and with a common cartridge. I'm not interested in a SCAR, AK, or wundergun in 6.5mm, 6.8mm, 5.7mm, 300 Blackout, or 7.5mm Zombie.

My vote would be for you to keep your AR15 and buy a SR25 pattern gun. Now you have two.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top