Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
100mm FTW!!!

http://www.tehrantimes.com/News/10522/02_GUN.jpg

Just remember $200 tax stamp for each round as its a DD.

Nope the weapon itself is the DD, not the ammo.  Just need to roll your own    Good choice!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If there was a carbine for 10mm that had a good reputation, I think there would be a pretty good argument.

Why? So you can have two guns with little to no ammunition available?

Any serious 10mm shooter should look into hand loading. The load used in a G20 or one of these..........

may not be the optimum load for your carbine. And as some have pointed out, commercial 10mm is pricey.

As for availability, I seem to recall that it hasn't been too long since .380 was a buck a pop, when you could find it. .45 ACP was absent from WalMart as well.

Anyway, any "____mm for survival caliber" needs to be stocked in sufficient quantities to insure the survival aspect. Even better if you have the tools and know how to roll your own.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been hoping and wishing that Ruger would make a Blackhawk or Vaquero with both 40 S&W and 10mm cylinders.  It would not be an ideal combat arm but a single action revolver is as drop dead reliable as can be made and given the popularity of the 40 S&W and the power option of 10mm I know it is a gun I would like to add to my collection.  It has just never been made as Ruger has made 38-40s with either 40 or 10mm conversions but never (to my knowledge) a 40/10mm convertable.  I could care less about 38/40 myself

Can you shoot 40s in that smith?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:24:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you shoot 40s in that smith?

Yes, I used one for IDPA for a long time, shooting 40S&W instead of 10mm.  You have to use moon clips, but I would have for competition and self defense anyway.

Fun gun...sorry I had to sell mine...would have made a nice companion to the 10mm AR

Spoon
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Try shooting cars first before you decide.  

9mm zips through both doors when I shoot them.  Windshields, no problem.  

If you are farther than like 10 feet away you should be using your battle rifle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#6]
CA= California? 10 round magazine limit, right? Lots of pre-ban 9mm full capacity magazines for Glocks. Think about it.

In Bear country a 10mm would be nice, even with only 10 shots, but for people, 15 shots of 9mm is OK.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If there was a carbine for 10mm that had a good reputation, I think there would be a pretty good argument. As a good single caliber to go to for multiple purposes in a SHTF scenario it would be a semi-auto version of the .357. But 10mm in a pistol is still a pistol round, and  the only carbine I know of is from Olympic Arms.
Well, when the FBI was considering adopting a new round after their infamous Miami Shootout, HK did build a few MP5/10s. The MP5/10 were related to the 9mm NATO MP5 in name only. Essentially the MP5/10 were totally new rifles. HK has not built another 10mm Auto rifle since.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CA= California? 10 round magazine limit, right? Lots of pre-ban 9mm full capacity magazines for Glocks. Think about it.

In Bear country a 10mm would be nice, even with only 10 shots, but for people, 15 shots of 9mm is OK.

It is not legal in CA to purchece preban high cap mags. I believe NY you can purchace preban mags.  If you owned high cap mags before the ban in 1997 you are ok though to still have those mags. It is also legal to buy rebuild kits, but is not ok to assemble new mags in CA. If you want to go to Nevada for example you can assemble rebuild kits  across state lines and break them down before you return back across state lines.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If there was a carbine for 10mm that had a good reputation, I think there would be a pretty good argument. As a good single caliber to go to for multiple purposes in a SHTF scenario it would be a semi-auto version of the .357. But 10mm in a pistol is still a pistol round, and  the only carbine I know of is from Olympic Arms.
Well, when the FBI was considering adopting a new round after their infamous Miami Shootout, HK did build a few MP5/10s. The MP5/10 were related to the 9mm NATO MP5 in name only. Essentially the MP5/10 were totally new rifles. HK has not built another 10mm Auto rifle since.

Auto-Ordanace did also for the same reason.

There's a 10mm tommy gun sitting down at the local pawn shop.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#10]
The pros for the 10mm far outweigh the cons in my opinion, especially if you've got the G21 slides and/or another 9mm/40SW/45ACP in the stable.

One of my next firearms purchases is going to be a G20 SF, with AA .22lr conversion kit.  Good chance I'll get a 40 S&W barrel, and quite possibly a G21 slide/barrel, too.  

With the ability to drop in a 40 S&W barrel and simply swap mags, the whole "ammo availability" issue is relatively a moot point for 99.9% of possible scenarios that I can think of.  If the SHTF and a couple hundred rounds of 10mm isn't going to be enough, I'll have bigger problems than running out of 10mm ammo...

If I didn't reload, I'd probably not be considering it.  However, that is not the case.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I chose the 10mm for a carry gun based on these criteria:

1. I live in an area with Mountain Lion, Grizzly Bears, Black Bears and Wolves.

2. The chances of me having a problem with the above as opposed to a human are pretty high.

3.  I am not going to wear a Hog Leg everywhere, nor do I want to be limited to 5-6 shots at a time.

4.  Shot recovery time is far superior with my 10mm than it is with my .454 Casull.

FWIW, all of the local Sporting Goods stores around here stock at least Hornady XTP and Winchester Silvertips in 10mm Auto, not that it matters much, because I handload all of my calibers.  I thought about this quite a bit when deciding what I was going to stick with while CCW'ing, and trying to prevent turning CCW'ing into a sidearm fashion show (if I run into a bear, would this 9mm match my wallet, or should I go with a .45....).  Knowing that all handguns are a compromise, I chose what is best for me, in the area I am living in.  Most of the pistol calibers would not give me much ground should I have to deal with a predator, but the 10mm will handle humans quite efficiently, if need be.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:10:56 AM EDT
[#12]
FBI SWAT in my area currently uses the MP5/10 and I must  say, it is a quite impressive weapon.  For entry work, the combination of size, weight, and horsepower is nearly ideal.  I have used both 9mm subguns and SBR carbines for entry, and personally prefer the subguns.   I've also had the chance to fire the MP5/10 during training and really wish that my agency issued them.  It actually sounds more like a rifle round when fired, and the 10mm is a very healthy performer out of subgun length barrels.  I was previously assigned to a station where I dealt with very large, very people accustomed black bears on a daily basis and purchased a 10mm for just this purpose.  Occasionally, you could even encounter one when walking to your car at the end of your shift.  Not that anyone really WANTS to face 600lbs of meat with a handgun, but 16 rounds of 200gr hardcast 10mm in a semi-auto is decent start.  About the only drawback that I currently see for the 10mm is ammunition availability.  Given the choice, I would probably rather carry the 10mm right now for general use than any other pistol caliber, I just wish it were more popular so that more companies would load/stock the stuff.  Not as big a problem for handloaders, but I'm not sure many have been able to match the performance of the doubletap stuff.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't read through the whole thing, so someone else may have already mentioned the following:

(1) G20(SF if you're so inclined) + (1) 10mm-40S&W conversion bbl + (1) G21 slide = 10mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP (All for about the cost of a single-stack, second-level 1911.)

If you can't find pick-up ammo in one of those 3 calibers, I'd pretty well call you screwed in the first place, although the addition of a single-stage reloading setup with a set of .40/10mm dies ought to pretty well cure that condition as well - still for around $1000 initial investment.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#14]
i like the 10mm......... unfortunately  the bad points are....

1. guns are not easily found.
2. i guess mags would be hard to find
3. even a well stocked gunshop does not have much 10mm.

im not gonna say it wont have a place, ( my game warden buddy carrys the full size 10mm glock, with the baby 10mm as back up.)...... you just need to be aware, and load up on ammo. with reloading being a good thing to get into. i myself have wanted a 10mm for a while.... i just cant find one. .....hell good 45 acp hp ammo is still hard to find, unless you want to spend big bucks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I tee-ti-totally agree. I would love to have an AR in .357 mag!

Ron Williams, over in the pistol-caliber section, builds AR-15 uppers for most pistol calibers, but makes them gas/DI, instead of blowback operated. He has built me several & they run really smooth, with almost no recoil or blowback. I am pretty sure he's made the 100mm :-) work, but am positive he's done the 50GI, .357 Sig, .40SW. 45ACP, .45Win Mag, 7.62 Tokarev, etc, etc. I shoot at the range with him sometimes & got to shoot the .357 Sig on another guy's full-auto lower & it had amazingly little recoil. Less than any of the other calibers I've got to shoot.

All the parts he uses are std AR-15 stuff. He just opens up the bolts, as needed. The main custom stuff is in the gas tube, block & barrel, so they aren't the wear parts that would be unobtainable if something broke & the end of civilization was near.

We got a .40S&W upper running on my Lone Wolf Lower receiver that uses Glock 9 or .40 magazines. He also makes them work with Colt-style & other mags. So I have a carbine & Glock pistol that use the same mags & ammo. I really wish someone made a super lightweight snub-nosed revolver in 9mm, or .40SW to round it out to a complete trio........I guess You can't have everything... and the G27/26s are pretty small.

He also built me a .45ACP upper to use with my MGI lower that accepts Glock .45 mags, or Grease Gun mags, depending on the magwell you buy.  I am trying to decide on one platform, or the other & have one of the uppers integrally suppressed. I guess what I really need to do is see which works better on Hogs. If one will take hogs OK, deer should be no problem. You can't hunt deer here with suppressors, but if it came to feeding the family, or going hungry, it would be nice to have a quiet, effective setup.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I went ahead and bought a used G20. I am going to get the 40 cal and 357 sig  Lone Wolf barrells seeing how the 10mm mags will work.
Thanks for all the imput everyone
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Ammo availability is the big reason I do not consider the 10mm to be one of my primary SHTF rounds.

Its also the only reason I haven't gotten a 6.8 upper.  Obviously, in a crisis, whatever ammo you have is what you're stuck with, for the most part.  But 6.8 is just too hard to find, and expensive when you do.  Between 10mm, 6.8 and .45GAP, I don't know which one is deader.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
It's good enough for Uncle Ted, so it ought to work for you too.   I'd personally stick with a more common caliber like the venerable 45ACP.  Nobody will have any 10mm to resupply you if you run out.

So do you guys make this shit up off the top of your head or are you listening to the morons working at gun stores again?

This It really doesn't matter if you use a .22 or some oddball wildcat cal when SHTF you run on what you have when it happens your not getting resupplied
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i like the 10mm......... unfortunately  the bad points are....

1. guns are not easily found.
2. i guess mags would be hard to find
3. even a well stocked gunshop does not have much 10mm.

im not gonna say it wont have a place, ( my game warden buddy carrys the full size 10mm glock, with the baby 10mm as back up.)...... you just need to be aware, and load up on ammo. with reloading being a good thing to get into. i myself have wanted a 10mm for a while.... i just cant find one. .....hell good 45 acp hp ammo is still hard to find, unless you want to spend big bucks.

1. Almost every major manufacturer carries a 10mm in their line, and many more small shops.
2. Mags are not hard to find
3. A well stocked gun shop will have 10mm, along with other calibers like .357 sig, .38 super, and such, otherwise it's not that well stocked.

Those three points you bring up are the same three everyone brings up about 10mm, and more opinion than fact.  Maybe in the area you live it's true, I know in mine it's the exact opposite.  10mm guns are plentiful, so is ammo.   Mags are a click away on the internet, or ordered through a gunstore.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I went ahead and bought a used G20. I am going to get the 40 cal and 357 sig  Lone Wolf barrells seeing how the 10mm mags will work.
Thanks for all the imput everyone

Cool ––––  just stock up on brass , primers, powder and projectiles now since we are not completely in crisis mode,   invest in an RCBS master reload kit (or Dillon, Lee, etc. –– thats another story)  –– and you will be set .   Problems with availability will not be your problem anymore.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are talking about your SHTF gun, you should already have everything you need as far as ammo/components.  What do you think...there is gonna be some major problem that actually calls for a shooting war that you will need 50,000 rnds and you're gonna run to Walmart and buy them?  I have shot 10mm for years and have NEVER bought a round.  I have loaded it all myself.  If you are looking for a SHTF pistol, find what you like, buy it and stock up NOW.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would imagine 100mm would have a rather stout recoil for home defense. Over penetration might be an issue also. It would be great for clearing trees and you'd never have to clean your windows again.
Actually, I have shot 10mm extensively, and it is probably just a little more than stout 45ACP+. I think if anyone can shoot 45ACP, 10mm shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would imagine 100mm would have a rather stout recoil for home defense. Over penetration might be an issue also. It would be great for clearing trees and you'd never have to clean your windows again.
Actually, I have shot 10mm extensively, and it is probably just a little more than stout 45ACP+. I think if anyone can shoot 45ACP, 10mm shouldn't be a problem.

warlord, you may have missed some of the fun.  the OP typoed his thread title and several of us affirmed his typoed choice
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you are talking about your SHTF gun, you should already have everything you need as far as ammo/components.  What do you think...there is gonna be some major problem that actually calls for a shooting war that you will need 50,000 rnds and you're gonna run to Walmart and buy them?  I have shot 10mm for years and have NEVER bought a round.  I have loaded it all myself.  If you are looking for a SHTF pistol, find what you like, buy it and stock up NOW.

I always get a chuckle when I here people say "you won't be able to get ammo for that in a SHTF, better to have a 9mm, 45acp etc."
If you don't have what you need before the SHTF,  then you failed at prepping.

I have a couple of G20s, great gun for 4 & 2 legged problems. If you can't stop it with 15 rounds of 10mm then you better have a much bigger rifle or slug gun in reserve.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I picked up a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm... only 9 rounds (8 +1) capacity but I like it, its probably going to go hunting with me this year. If I get a chance to go. I'll have to do a little more testing but it looked like the 1911 .45acp mags will work in it, not sure if feeding will work though. It seems to be a great gun, and even a collectable at this point.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#26]
This is the reason why I also chose the 6.8 as a main caliber. and I am already stocked for it.

pg4 is mine.

I also think the 10mm is a great caliber and will look into it some day. I stock up on 9mm and .45 but because I like them.

When I go for the 10mm I will stock up for it also.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top