BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I liked 120 gr partitions in my .25-06

But I like 150 gr partitions in my .270 better.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I doubt you’ll be disappointed.
View Quote

I'm disappointed with Standard Mfg, aka Connecticut Shotgun.  I ordered the Sauer rifle on Feb 9th, they finally shipped it today after ignoring my inquiries about WTH is my rifle!

My favorite LGS had a Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester in .243 for $679 today.  If it was in almost any other caliber I would have bought it. I wish I had a borescope, I don't trust a 60+ year old .243 barrel to not have a burned out throat. I might still buy it, if it's there tomorrow.  Comes with a Weaver K4, but it has a target dot reticle, very fine crosshair with a center dot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I liked 120 gr partitions in my .25-06

But I like 150 gr partitions in my .270 better.
View Quote

My brother is a big fan of the 25-06. He killed a Kansas whitetail at well over 400 yards, using my handloads with a 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.  He has never hunted anything bigger than whitetails.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Any Weatherby experts here?

Do you think $1100 is overpriced for a Southgate/Japan Mk V?
View Quote

It is a better value than the Remington. I have both calibers. I would get the Weatherby.  Good caliber plus the unique factor. Don’t know about bolt gun prices in this environment, but a Weatherby is worth a lot more than the Remington.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#5]
The 87gr. TNT are impressive out of 25-06.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I like and have a 25-06, but I'd do the .257 Robert's. Sweet round. And whoever said the 25-06 hits like a .270 is just plain wrong.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How about the 257 Roberts? Compatible with a shorter action. Low recoil.

Hornaday ammo launches a 117gr SST at 2945fps out of a 24” barrel. (Federal shows their 25-06 120gr Fusion load at 2980.)

Nosler offers ammo loaded with their 100 grain Partition as well as their 100 and 115 grain Ballistic Tiips too.

I use an older Federal load with a 120 Partition at 2780fps. Works great.

Here’s my left handed 257R built on a Montana Rifle Company action.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/428630/FD0A00E4-02F8-4E2E-ABF6-665C4546C108_jpe-1717573.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/428630/6CB69572-9D58-469C-B2F8-908C02FA0ABF_jpe-1717576.JPG

View Quote

My dad has a .257 Robert's he inherited.  One day it will be passed down to me.  That thing is an absolute lazer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoot 110gr 25-06 at about 3100.  The WM will be 300fps faster with same bullets.  Total laser. Probably enough quarter bore for elk and some more serious range.  The roberts is a great deer round too, but the 25-06 edges it out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I shoot 110gr 25-06 at about 3100.  The WM will be 300fps faster with same bullets.  Total laser. Probably enough quarter bore for elk and some more serious range.  The roberts is a great deer round too, but the 25-06 edges it out.
View Quote

25-06 is a great round. Love mine.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#10]
one of the very few cartridges readily available around here is 25-06. FWIW
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the follow-up, guys. Great info and insight.

Quick update: the Club guy with the Remmy 25-06 found a buyer. Don't know if he moved on price or not.

The Southgate CA/Jap-made .257 Weatherby Mk V is still for sale. Club guy has come down a bit, he's now asking  $800.00

Good looking rifle, nice classic Weatherby stock. Comes with a scope and mounts.  I'm still leery about the barrel, as my 'smith who looked over the bore condition wasn't impressed. Said it'll need re-barreling (see my earlier post above).  

Plus with all the current volatility, there's the issue of chasing down .257WB ammo   - not to mention, dies, brass, etc., as it will add another cartridge to the reloading bench.

Maybe I should make him a low-ball, and see what happens (?).
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#12]
How long is the barrel on the Mark V?  .257 Weatherby needs at least 26 inches of barrel to get advertised velocity in most cases.  If its got a short 22-24 inch barrel, your velocities likely wont be much higher than a .25-06.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How long is the barrel on the Mark V?  .257 Weatherby needs at least 26 inches of barrel to get advertised velocity in most cases.  If its got a short 22-24 inch barrel, your velocities likely wont be much higher than a .25-06.
View Quote

See my O.P. ...  26" factory Weatherby pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Tikka makes the T3 in 25-06.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 25-06 in Savage and it shoots very well.  I’ve used it for deer, wild hogs, and coyotes.  I want a 257 Wby mag also but there is no real place around me to justify having one.  You can probably get a Weatherby Vanguard and put the rest of the money on a good scope and some ammo.  If you do go the 257 Weatherby let us know what you think.  Also get one with the 26” in barrel if you go the Weatherby route.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tikka makes the T3 in 25-06.
View Quote

Rebarreled my Sako in 25-06 and have been very happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Just wanted to chime in on the 257bee ive gone all in on the caliber I absolutely love the stupid thing. When I bought the vanguard first I was so damn worried about the 24" barrel but as it turns out my 110 accubond load is actually about 75fps faster than the claimed velocity on the factory ammo box for the 26" and I'm not even max load or any pressure signs. I liked it so much I grabbed a markV accumark but 9 out of 10 times I grab that vanguard it just points and shoots so well for me. We've killed a few elk and a pile of big Wyoming whitetails with the caliber and it makes no sense the killing power on what Id consider a light bullet.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just wanted to chime in on the 257bee ive gone all in on the caliber I absolutely love the stupid thing. When I bought the vanguard first I was so damn worried about the 24" barrel but as it turns out my 110 accubond load is actually about 75fps faster than the claimed velocity on the factory ammo box for the 26" and I'm not even max load or any pressure signs. I liked it so much I grabbed a markV accumark but 9 out of 10 times I grab that vanguard it just points and shoots so well for me. We've killed a few elk and a pile of big Wyoming whitetails with the caliber and it makes no sense the killing power on what Id consider a light bullet.
View Quote

Yeah, I might've 'pulled the trigger' on that Southgate/Jap-made Mk V .257WBY, but the two things that held me back were the barrel/bore condition and the damn thing was just such a weighty beast. Probably the weight's a benefit for load development off the bench, ... but for having to hump it around in the field with a scope, sling, & bipod,
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I stumbled into a great deal on a 25-06 Ruger Hawkeye from a fellow Arfcom member earlier this year. I was lucky enough to score 6 boxes for Hornady Precision Hunter 110 gr ELDX and am getting about 1-1.25 moa with a vortex LHT razor 3-15. Head to MO in two weeks for deer season and can’t wait to try it out.

Link Posted: 10/31/2021 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I stumbled into a great deal on a 25-06 Ruger Hawkeye from a fellow Arfcom member earlier this year. I was lucky enough to score 6 boxes for Hornady Precision Hunter 110 gr ELDX and am getting about 1-1.25 moa with a vortex LHT razor 3-15. Head to MO in two weeks for deer season and can’t wait to try it out.

View Quote

Well, you’ve definitely got the right tool for the job…
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
you didnt say if these rifles have scopes and what kind.

You also didnt say what model it is.  Mark V  has a whole bunch of submodels
View Quote

He said well used which on a Weatherby could be an issue. Round count is not your friend on that rifle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Update: Got to examine the Rem. 700. It's an older BDL model in .25-06. Some wear and dings, not bad. Bore looked good, chamber looked clean. Very nice trigger, which the owner said his 'smith had 'tuned.'

It comes with Leupold 2-pc mounts, but no scope.  I've got extra scopes at home, so that's not a big deal.

Owner is firm he won't take less than $900 for it. No spare ammo to sweeten the deal.

Between the two rifles, the Remmy looked to be in better shape. It seems it would also be a bit lighter to tote around than the Weatherby even with a scope. It surprised me how weighty the Weatherby was.

Undecided at this point ... Comments and thoughts appreciated.
View Quote

The Remmy sounds over priced but then I sold my 25-06 Classic a few years ago. I love the 25-06 and my Remmy was dead nots accurate. Have you looked at current pricing for new or near new rifles?
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The Remmy sounds over priced but then I sold my 25-06 Classic a few years ago. I love the 25-06 and my Remmy was dead nots accurate. Have you looked at current pricing for new or near new rifles?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update: Got to examine the Rem. 700. It's an older BDL model in .25-06. Some wear and dings, not bad. Bore looked good, chamber looked clean. Very nice trigger, which the owner said his 'smith had 'tuned.'

It comes with Leupold 2-pc mounts, but no scope.  I've got extra scopes at home, so that's not a big deal.

Owner is firm he won't take less than $900 for it. No spare ammo to sweeten the deal.

Between the two rifles, the Remmy looked to be in better shape. It seems it would also be a bit lighter to tote around than the Weatherby even with a scope. It surprised me how weighty the Weatherby was.

Undecided at this point ... Comments and thoughts appreciated.

Not lately. Other gun projects pushed their way to the top of the 'To-Do' list.

I ended up passing on the Remmy as overpriced. Passed on the WBY due to gunsmith's opinion on the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

It certainly worked very well on the button buck I shot at 40 yards that was hanging out beneath the stand we were trying to get into. I wish I had been able to try it out at 200-300 yards but I will console myself with tasty venison veal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It certainly worked very well on the button buck I shot at 40 yards that was hanging out beneath the stand we were trying to get into. I wish I had been able to try it out at 200-300 yards but I will console myself with tasty venison veal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad ass.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I’d like the WM some day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bend over pricing on both, both are great calibers.  My friend has flattened out a lot of elk with the 257 WBY.    Unless they have some awesome glass on those, check GB.  NEW guns in both cals are much less.
View Quote

This.

Don’t pay that price for a used gun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#28]
It all depends on what the OP really needs this rifle for and also what he hopes to someday use it for.

I don't hunt much but still love my Ruger 77 in 25-06 that I redid the trigger on. (30+ years old)

I might advise the OP to consider a 243 while he is looking for the 25/06 . Yeah , not the barn burner the 25-06 is but a very capable cartridge that I have felt doesn't get half the credit it should. Many write it off as a woman's and kids gun but it really is quite capable
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I wish the "quarter bore" was more popular.  A nice lightweight short action sporter in something like 25 Creedmoor would be awesome.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I hope to use my 25-06 on another deer this season. Honestly I wouldn't sweat cow elk either where I hunt because shots are limited to 300 yards.  

I've only tried the Hornady Precision Hunter 110 Eld-x and it works well. I'd like to see if the Barnes Factory 100 grain TTSX shoots better out of my rifle. I've had good luck with the Barnes Factory 55 gr TSX shooting very well out of a pretty basic AR.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#31]
25-06 is a great round, but they are asking too much for those rifles. I suggest handloading either way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I hope to use my 25-06 on another deer this season. Honestly I wouldn't sweat cow elk either where I hunt because shots are limited to 300 yards.  

I've only tried the Hornady Precision Hunter 110 Eld-x and it works well. I'd like to see if the Barnes Factory 100 grain TTSX shoots better out of my rifle. I've had good luck with the Barnes Factory 55 gr TSX shooting very well out of a pretty basic AR.
View Quote

I was very high on the TTSX stuff until I used it on deer in .243… killed a lot of deer (it was a big doe culling) and saw wildly inconsistent performance in terminal performance.  When it expanded right, it did an excellent job. When it didn’t, it made a pencil hole (sometimes two).

It’s made me a little leery of those rounds.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Interesting. I’ve probably spent far too much time lurking in African Hunting, Greybeard outdoors, 24 hour campfire on their hunting rifle forums reading threads about bullet performance on game and there is always a poster or two who says they have experienced pencil holes with the TSX or TTSX.

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Interesting. I’ve probably spent far too much time lurking in African Hunting, Greybeard outdoors, 24 hour campfire on their hunting rifle forums reading threads about bullet performance on game and there is always a poster or two who says they have experienced pencil holes with the TSX or TTSX.

View Quote

For a hunting bullet, I want (1) acceptable accuracy (2) consistent terminal performance.

The latter is difficult to determine, because hunting generally involves a small sample size.  A cull hunt can be great for that, because you might kill a couple hundred deer in a short period.  That time, using one type of ammo, I saw the full spectrum, from great expansion and damage (a majority) to animals with pretty clean holes, little to no blood trail, and crappy performance, even with good shot placement.  Freaky shit sometimes happens, and I’m ok with that, but that trip had enough poorly performing hits that made me doubt the consistency of the .243 TTSX bullets.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Makes note to self to go shoot the .257's again.  It's been a while.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top