Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2017 8:50:03 PM EDT
I fish mostly in stocked Missouri streams. Bennett Spring, Roaring River, Tanneycomo, etc. I might get a chance to fish in Colorado or the White River in Arkansas maybe once every other year.

I have breathable chest waders, a vest, net, and decent 3&5wt setups.

What’s that one piece of fly fishing gear that improved your experience or helped you catch more fish or just made you enjoy fishing more?

Here’s a picture of my first brown trout from Friday:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
For me, its been a lot of little things.

Probably the biggest was real deal felt soled wading boots. Don't get cheap. By the time you wear out/destroy 2-3 pairs you could have had one quality pair last.

One other thing that helped my fishing was going to furled leaders. Much cheaper in the long run and wind knots I was getting with standard tapered leaders are a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For me, its been a lot of little things.

Probably the biggest was real deal felt soled wading boots. Don't get cheap. By the time you wear out/destroy 2-3 pairs you could have had one quality pair last.

One other thing that helped my fishing was going to furled leaders. Much cheaper in the long run and wind knots I was getting with standard tapered leaders are a thing of the past.
View Quote
Missouri doesn’t allow felt soled boots anymore. I actually just had to have mine resoled to rubber. Upgrading my waders has crossed my mind, although I’ve stayed dry thus far...

I’ll look into the leaders. Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Missouri doesn’t allow felt soled boots anymore. I actually just had to have mine resoled to rubber. Upgrading my waders has crossed my mind, although I’ve stayed dry thus far...

I’ll look into the leaders. Thanks for the suggestion.
View Quote
I did upgrade my waders just this year. Orvis had a pretty good sale on them and I couldn't pass it up. I do wet wade most of the year here in TN, NC and VA where I fish. I can usually start wet wading in March and through October maybe even in to November.

I have a pair of the Korkers with the interchangeable soles. In states like yours that don't allow felt, they are a pretty good deal.

The furled leaders are not expensive but boy they sure took care of my wind knot issues and in the long run are far cheaper than the standard tapered leaders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top