Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2020 12:44:43 PM EDT
finally going to make a long road trip around NY.  (Cooperstown, Alex Bay, etc.)   Spending 2 nights on the Canadian side at the Marriott Fallsview, but
wondering what you gentlemen recommend as things to do (scenically) in the immediate area.   Journey Behind the Falls, Skylon Tower,
the Big Wheel or even a guided bus tour ?  Places to eat on the Canadian side that don't involve taking out a mortgage ?  Thanks !
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The Canadian side is far better than the New York side. Most of the falls are in New York but they are best viewed from the Canadian side. Honestly you will get gouged in Niagara Falls proper. Tourist area and they milk it for all it is worth. There is no free parking I could ever find other than at the Duty Free shop and it is/was structured such at the only way to leave the Duty Free lot was to head onto the Rainbow Bridge. Now if you head on the up the QEW a short bit to St. Catherines, you will most likely find better rates.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The park on the NY side is nice, and for sure, do Maid of the Mist...lived in Buffalo for 30 years, always thought it was a hokey tourist thing...wife and I did it before we escaped NY, and honestly, it was awesome! Takes you right up to the falls, and you do get WET, but it was so cool, and a perspective you can't get elsewhere!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Maid of the Mist for sure.  Journey behind the falls I liked too.  After that we have always liked the butterfly conservatory.  Tons of touristy things to do, but I would probably hit up one of the museums that give a falls history.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure you have a clean record before trying to get into Canada.

A guy I know recently drove all the way out there only to get denied entry for a DUI years ago.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A guy I know recently drove all the way out there only to get denied entry for a DUI years ago.
View Quote
That is correct, they will not let you into Canada with a DUI, we had guys that couldn't get working papers because of DUI's....
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not just DUI but just about any criminal record including shoplifting. See https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/inadmissibility-interdiction-eng.html. As with anything, including DUI, it may be possible to buy your way in by paying CAD$200 and applying for relief but there are no guarantees (on the web page). This started becoming an issue in the early 2000's when DHS started sharing all kinds of criminal records with Canada that they didn't have before. People who had shoplifting records from their teens and had been going to Canada for years suddenly got stopped when Canada had those records.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice gentlemen.   Wasn't going to do Maid of the Mist (we get wet in our pool and on our kayaks) but now might reconsider.   I know everything will be an arm and a leg and I intend to contact our hotel (Marriott Fallsview) to see how driving in and out of their fee to park works.  As for a record, LOL, had a TS for decades and both of us have pistol permits whereas in SE Newyorkistan they are regularly "run."   My reserve unit referred to us as a couple as the "Ozzie and Harriet" of the unit.  Wondering just how everything will be walking distance wise on the Canadian side like walking to Skylon Tower and especially Journey Under the Falls.   Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Definitely Maid of the Mist.  I take foreign visitors to NF regularly, and MOM is a real highlight.  I never tire of it.

On USA side:  view from the half bridge toward the falls.  At the bottom where you board MOM take walkway as close to falls as possible for great photos.

On MOM your feet will get wet, so plan accordingly.  Get to the front of the boat. Put on the rain slicker they give you before you think you have to.  Those that wait get nailed by the winds and spray driven by the falls.

Walk the US Side along the river toward falls.   Cross to Goat Island and walk around.  Great views.  On US side you can touch the river, which you can’t do on Canadian side.  Walk around Three Sisters Islands.

Food generally sucks on US side.  Anchor Bar is good for wings.

CANADIAN SIDE

walk the length of the tourist area along river. At night the falls are lit up very nicely.

Tons of crap tourist attractions.  Yuk.

Save your food money for dinner at all you can eat Brazilian steak house Copacabana.  Skip the bread and salad. Eat lots of meat.  Go sleep.

Crossing on foot is easy and quick.  Crossing by car can take time depending on traffic.

ALEX BAY

Singer Castle and Boldt Castle, with Uncle Sam boat tour.

Go to the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Abom !   I wasn't even going to go on our side, figured the Hornblower boats from Canada do the same trip but that walk for photo ops sounds great.
Our hotel charges an arm and a leg for meals so I figured we would go out anyway.  Funny, I did ten "summer camps for boys with howitzers" at Drum and never got off post.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I would suggest checking out the one of Whirlpool Jet Boat tours out of either Lewiston NY or NOTL on the Canadian side. Plus checking out either of the Forts at the mouth of the Niagara river. Stunning sunsets out therein the summer!
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Or drive in a bit further to visit vineyards. We visited a few including Wayne Gretzky's 99. Bought some bottles. Customs might hit you up for duty or not. Our total purchase was like 85 cents but the CBP dude just said don't worry about it. We were in a family minivan and I crossed with my Enhanced DL.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Go to the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton.
View Quote
Cool little place... I go every year when we are up there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top