Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 12:56:10 PM EDT
This is a quick report on the hearing for SB 39, the Second Amendment Preservation Act, today (Tuesday).

The hearing was excellent.

There were no witnesses officially in opposition to the bill and 15 or so there to testify in favor of the bill.

Additionally, we gave the committee your witness form and over a thousand other witness forms -- a total of 994 in favor of SB 39, 6 opposed, and 6 for informational purposes.

In reality, some folks mistakenly checked the "Against" box when I'm confident the intended to be in favor of the bill.

The only negative testimony came from the leadership of the Missouri Sheriffs' Association.  They were an obstacle to the bill last year and presented some of the same concerns this year, but they testified "for informational purposes."  When the chairman of the committee asked if that meant they would not oppose the bill even if it wasn't changed, they said, "Not at this time."

It's clear to me that the leadership of the Missouri Sheriffs' Association will continue to be an obstacle, but they don't necessarily represent the rank and file members.

So what is their concern?

In a nutshell, they are saying that SAPA will make their job harder by taking away some tools they are used to using.

They are dissatisfied with Missouri sentencing laws and want to take advantage of the enhanced FEDERAL penalties that go along with federal gun charges.

They are upset over what they call "Truth in Sentencing" because criminals end up serving only about 1/10 of their sentence in Missouri prisons, so they want to be able to send them to federal prisons, where they will do more time.

They want to be able to use the threat of enhanced federal gun charges as negotiating tools when trying to get suspects to rat out their partners in crime.

I can understand why they like these "tools" -- they probably DO make their job easier dealing with what is a very small percentage of society who decide to live a life of crime.

The problem is, they are asking millions of Missouri's honest gun owners to accept what is no longer just a prospect, but is a promise, of a Biden administration purge of guns in America -- and just so their job is easier.

What's worse, in effect the leaders of the Sheriffs' Association are asking millions of us who have taken responsibility to defend ourselves and our families from that small percentage of criminals to just depend on them for protection. They seemed to not notice that all across America, last year, we learned that law-enforcement was overwhelmed by mobs of thugs.

And when the threat is something less than a mob, too often, the police are minutes away when seconds make the difference between life and death.

ACTION ITEM

We are just beginning the fight this session.  Here are things you can do right now:

Call your sheriff. Tell him that the leadership of their association seems to have missed the memo -- Joe Biden is going to be our next president and he has promised that he will coming after our guns. Tell him that even if it make his job harder, you expect him to place a priority on protecting our Second Amendment rights. Get his public commitment to support SAPA in its original form.

As of the writing of this email, there are 38 cosponsors for the House version of SAPA. Check this list to see if your rep is on it.  If he or she is not, call them and ask them to cosponsor HB 85.  They can do it from home and don't have to wait until they are back in Jeff City next week.

Spread the news of SAPA. We are finding far too many people have heard of it.  When the House version of the bill has a hearing I want to double the number of witness forms. To learn more, send your friends to: http://www.mofirst.org/?page=issues/SAPA-Resources.php

The chairman of the Senate committee conducting today's hearing said that the committee should be prepared to vote on SB 39 next Tuesday.  We expect it to be reported out of committee and sent to the full Senate as early as next week -- that's fast movement!

This is the year we pass SAPA and lead several other states who are considering the same or similar legislation.

We can do it, TOGETHER!

- Ron

ps Today the County of Camden passed a county level version of SAPA.  The idea is catching fire!

--

And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works. --  Frédéric Bastiat - "The Law"

Ron Calzone
http://www.mofirst.org
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome news
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Mikeak, just a thought but what about working with the sherrifs org to get other bills introduced to help them?  Bill for min sentence time, etc. For most of what they want i would think a lot of ppl here would be behind those also.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mikeak, just a thought but what about working with the sherrifs org to get other bills introduced to help them?  Bill for min sentence time, etc. For most of what they want i would think a lot of ppl here would be behind those also.
View Quote

I thought Missouri already has minimum sentencing and that there were bills introduced recently that are tougher on violent use of a firearm. I believe the main blame lies squarely on parole boards and judges for violent criminals getting released too early. This whole 'snowflake based' reform philosophy does not and never will work. Do the crime...do the time. It's called consequences for being an evil person doing evil things against your fellow man. Period!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#5]
And I contacted my Representative and asked him to co-sponsor the bill. Hope he does but I know he will vote yes on HB 85  if it comes up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And I contacted my Representative and asked him to co-sponsor the bill. Hope he does but I know he will vote yes on HB 85  if it comes up.
View Quote

Got a reply back from my Rep already...he said he co-sponsored the bill and voted for it last year and will do the same this year. So that was quick and good news from my area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top