Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2021 8:41:13 PM EDT
got my first speeding ticket per se. from the city of Tacoma.

they dont use the normal photo enforced signs

but im going to ask for ones opinion

it says may only take pictures but they take video also. rcw has the same definition

been trying to find the camera sign enforcement requirements but have not had any luck 47.36 has no subsection

"All locations where an automated traffic safety camera is used must be clearly marked at least thirty days prior to activation of the camera by placing signs in locations that clearly indicate to a driver that he or she is entering a zone where traffic laws are enforced by an automated traffic safety camera. Signs placed in automated traffic safety camera locations after June 7, 2012, must follow the specifications and guidelines under the manual of uniform traffic control devices for streets and highways as adopted by the department of transportation under chapter 47.36 RCW."

11.60.010 Authorized use of automated traffic safety cameras.
A. Law enforcement officers of the City and persons commissioned by the police chief are authorized to use automated traffic
safety cameras and related automated systems to detect one or more of the following infractions:
1. Stop light infractions.
2. Railroad crossing violations.
3. School speed zone violations.
4. Speed zone violations, as authorized in RCW 46.63.170.
B. The use of automated traffic safety cameras is subject to the following restrictions:
1. The use of automated traffic safety cameras is restricted to “two arterial intersections” (the intersection of two arterial
streets), railroad crossings, school speed zones, and as authorized in RCW 46.63.170.
2. Automated traffic safety cameras may only take pictures of the vehicle and the vehicle license plate and only while the
infraction is occurring. Pictures taken by the automated traffic safety camera may not reveal the face of the driver or of the
passengers in the vehicle.
C. The City shall clearly mark all locations where automated traffic safety cameras are in use by placing signs in locations that
clearly indicate to a driver that he or she is entering a zone where traffic laws are enforced by automated traffic safety camera.
D. For the purpose of this chapter, “automated traffic safety camera” means a device that uses a vehicle sensor installed to
work in conjunction with an intersection traffic control system; a railroad grade crossing control system, or a speed measuring
device; and a camera synchronized to automatically record one or more sequential photographs, microphotographs, or
electronic images of the rear of a motor vehicle at the time the vehicle:
1. fails to stop when facing a steady red traffic control signal; or
2. fails to stop when facing an activated railroad grade crossing control signal; or
3. exceeds a speed limit in a school speed zone as detected by a speed-measuring device; or
4. exceeds a speed limit as detected by a speed-measuring device, authorized in RCW 46.63.170.
(Ord. 28
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:39:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
got my first speeding ticket per se. from the city of Tacoma.
View Quote

Your vehicle got the speeding ticket. They just send the ticket to the registered owner

There is a form to fill out stating that you were not driving the vehicle at that time

Case will be dismissed

Just went through that with Fife but on a red light camera

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Not fully understanding your question.  Are you asking for the requirements of the traffic camera signs?  Or something else?

The sections you list (and others in RCW 47) reference the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) as published by the Federal Highways Administration.  You can find it at MUTCD.

There are also state modifications to the MUTCD which are listed in the WAC.  Washington State MUTCD Modifications
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I was always wondering when they would start speeding tickets from cameras. Everytime I see that on 405 I wonder if they will implement that. That would be so messed up if they did.

So do you know if the speed camera was a individual system designed for this purpose? ie those speed limit signs they temporarily put in a neighborhood to help tell drivers to slow down?
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife got a fucking speeding ticket in DesMoines by a speed camera. She was doing 15 in a school zone but a car came hauling ass up and tail gated her. She took it to court and still got fucking fined.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Just read this on this website: https://bancams.com/get-the-facts/wacameracities/

The law states that Red Light Cameras (RLC) are limited to intersections where 2 main arterials meet. Speed Cameras are limited to school zones, but the legislature has already granted 2 exceptions to that law and allowed Seattle and Tacoma to place speed cameras in non-school zones.
View Quote

So watch out in Seattle as well.. I avoid Seattle if I can help it anycase.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
So where's the camera?
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your vehicle got the speeding ticket. They just send the ticket to the registered owner

There is a form to fill out stating that you were not driving the vehicle at that time

Case will be dismissed

Just went through that with Fife but on a red light camera

View Quote

Absolutely correct.  I've had three dropped.  Careful who you let drive your ride.

ETA  print out a Declaration Affidavit of Non-Responsibility, sign, mail, done.   Just do it before any due dates.  scroll down to Tacoma and print
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#8]
e bay st just past river rd e heading towards tacoma its on the turn

Address: 2990 Block of Bay St NB  GPS: 47.238307, -122.397558

right in the blind spot as you round the corner.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
WOW!!!  There was way more than one issue in those RCWs ... you could subpoena the Justices of the State Supreme Court as witnesses as subject matter experts, have them count the number of issues.  

Did your vehicles ticket come from out of state?  Asking because the court has also held that it can not be a third party that gives the information to the state.  

We lost $30 license tabs because of those legal issues, the state should loose cameras because of it also.  

Heck subpoena the AG and the members of the State legislature...all subject matte experts.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#10]
came out of tacoma through zero fatality based out of florida. i chose ehearing and they reduced it. I quoted alot of RCWs when i submitted it. but ehearings are final. i should have asked for a in person court date.

i was set to subpoena the state , tacoma, and zero. request calibration and maintenance  records for the past 90 days. if the state maintains the highway the city has no right to collect fees, let alone if the state has to provide enforcement in the area

but for now its over but i still may fight the placement
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top