Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 2/24/2019 2:01:15 AM EDT
I might be in the market for another can here soon
I have a sico specwar 556 and sico omega 9k but want another rifle can as I shoot them the most.
I thought I might be dead set on a dead air Sandman S but this deal is tempting me
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/CLEARANCE-SureFire-SOCOM-223-5-56mm-Suppressors-595-695/118-1767910/

my question is does anyone have a Surefire Socom or FA556 that I could try out I am in the Des Moines area.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:41:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Having used both and owning star Sandman S my only advice can be just get the Sandman S.  The mounting system is much more refined.  IMO the only thing “better” on the Surefire is the metal finish.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I own a Sandman-L and a 556-RC2

100% nothing wrong with either. Lots of folks like to talk trash on Surefire having never owned one. Lots of benefits. If you're a DB chaser who fires from a bench there are better and cheaper options than either. The mounting system on both are great. I've had minor issues with fitments on the DA mounts since they require the locking ring to go beyond the mount itself. An off-center or overshized shim or a larger barrel profile can cause issues (more of an issue for 30 cal). The surefire is self-contained in that the spacer is built into the mount. Another complaint is that SF's are loud... Lots of folks are shocked at how quiet they are in person due to lack of port pop/backpressure, etc.

That said, I don't operate operationally.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't buy either. I had lots of SF mounts already, including P&W's that pre-dated IA allowing SBR's. So it was a no-brainer for me. Vox, Nomad, Turbo/Resonator, etc. would be worth a look. Lighter weight has become a priority for me, if for no other reasons than comfort and transition speed. Both the surefire and Sandman-S are tanks. Heavy, but will take all the abuse you can throw at them and then some. My last two can purchases have been the Sig 556QD and the YHM Turbo for the reasons listed above.

I'm in CR, but you're welcome to come shoot any of them ( I have a few other varieties as well)
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:31:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own a Sandman-L and a 556-RC2

100% nothing wrong with either. Lots of folks like to talk trash on Surefire having never owned one. Lots of benefits. If you're a DB chaser who fires from a bench there are better and cheaper options than either. The mounting system on both are great. I've had minor issues with fitments on the DA mounts since they require the locking ring to go beyond the mount itself. An off-center or overshized shim or a larger barrel profile can cause issues (more of an issue for 30 cal). The surefire is self-contained in that the spacer is built into the mount. Another complaint is that SF's are loud... Lots of folks are shocked at how quiet they are in person due to lack of port pop/backpressure, etc.

That said, I don't operate operationally.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't buy either. I had lots of SF mounts already, including P&W's that pre-dated IA allowing SBR's. So it was a no-brainer for me. Vox, Nomad, Turbo/Resonator, etc. would be worth a look. Lighter weight has become a priority for me, if for no other reasons than comfort and transition speed. Both the surefire and Sandman-S are tanks. Heavy, but will take all the abuse you can throw at them and then some. My last two can purchases have been the Sig 556QD and the YHM Turbo for the reasons listed above.

I'm in CR, but you're welcome to come shoot any of them ( I have a few other varieties as well)
View Quote
Weight isn't an issue with me my specwar is 19oz any silencers out there are going to be lighter than that. I really like the mounting system of DA but that surefire is interesting. I might have some free time two weeks from now I would be interested in trying the surefire I have tried a dead air before I will let you know beforehand if I am free to do something. Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Sandman s checking in, and agree it is heavy, but built like a tank.  Has a good sound to it(at shooters ear).   For me, it's my do all, couple of 5.56 guns(10.3 14.5), 300 blk sbr and is actually really nice on a 22" 308 bolt gun.  Love the mounting system, I don't have any really crazy barrel profiles or am trying to get a super flush fit,  but I could see that being an issue.

Also have aem5, stupid quiet, but requires a special barrel profile.  Even with needing a special profile(and being limited to 5.56 and smaller), the aem5 is probably my fav rifle can.

Have a buddy who has a yhm turbo, and for the money, really can't go wrong.  To his and my ear while shooting, sounds the same on a 10.3 and a 16" as the sandman s with either 30cal end cap or 5.55 end cap.  Only down side I can think of with the turbo is 5.56 and smaller.  Might be worth stepping up to the resonator if you have plans for something bigger then 5.56.

In the mason city area, more then welcome to give them a go
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top