Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2021 5:23:13 PM EDT
I boarded my animals at a new veterinarian shop that is not the pets' normal vet (their normal vet shop doesn't board).

This vet shop claimed FL state law requires them to do a physical exam and a fecal exam on animals boarding there if the boarding place isn't their usual vet even if they have current physical exam and fecal exam from their current veteranarian.

I couldn't press the issue because I'm on my way out of town, but I'm curious if anyone knows if there's any truth to this.  They sprung this on me on the spot, it's costing me $150 per pet on top of the boarding charge, and I'm rather pissed because I had to eat the fee to get on the road.  Needless to say, we won't be boarding there in the future. But I want to know if I'm gonna run into this anywhere else (the previous place I boarded the animals didn't do this, but it's not an option because one pet always got ear mites there).
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
PM me the location/county where you're talking about
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PM me the location/county where you're talking about
View Quote

Pinellas County
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
State law requires no such thing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Never had to do that myself. All they wanted was proof of shots.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#5]
My guess is "their business, their rules" you should have gone elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My guess is "their business, their rules" you should have gone elsewhere.
View Quote

Does “their business, their rules” include false representation?

I swear to god sometimes the best feature of this site is the ignore button.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#7]
In the days before social media, a slimy vet could get away with this kind of shit...  today, maybe not so much...  

Remember the oft' quoted Edmund Burke quote "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I intend to ask them for a copy of the exam and fecal exam when I pick the animals up.  I have a feeling they'll be like "uh..... uh.... yeah we don't really have those ready for you." Oh, but you had them ready for a decision about "they are healthy enough to board" after I dropped them off?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Im betting the work will have been performed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Im betting the work will have been performed.
View Quote

the physical exams were done.  

But they tapdanced about the fecal exams, first said "we don't have any results." When asked to clarify, they said "we don't have results back from the lab."  When politely asked why they performed the fecal exams if they knew they wouldn't have any results until after the animals are picked up, they said "well it's just our policy to do them."
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Report them and let us and everyone know name of the clinic!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah F'them. They are just stiffing unsuspecting pet owner off of their cash.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah F'them. They are just stiffing unsuspecting pet owner off of their cash.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#14]
That sounds pretty shady to me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I looked them up in FL state corporation commission, I'll fire off a polite letter to the owner soon.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

the physical exams were done.  

But they tapdanced about the fecal exams, first said "we don't have any results." When asked to clarify, they said "we don't have results back from the lab."  When politely asked why they performed the fecal exams if they knew they wouldn't have any results until after the animals are picked up, they said "well it's just our policy to do them."
View Quote

Fecal exams are generally done in-house under a microscope... You got hosed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top