Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2020 8:19:55 PM EDT
Anyone know exactly what the specifications and/or dimensions of a required VFG  is on a "other" firearm since it has to have one? Specifically the minimum length of the VFG?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't believe there is a spec for length of grip. Firearm must be over 26 in.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't believe there is a spec for length of grip.
View Quote

How do you know?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How do you know?
View Quote

As long as it's over 26" OAL you can put a 4 foot long VFG on it for all the BATFE cares....the "angle" wouldn't matter either.....

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As long as it's over 26" OAL you can put a 4 foot long VFG on it for all the BATFE cares....the "angle" wouldn't matter either.....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know?

Well, the question is really minimum length of VFG and yes it does matter if it's a straight or angled. AFG is not allowed on a other firearm.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, the question is really minimum length of VFG and yes it does matter if it's a straight or angled. AFG is not allowed on a other firearm.
View Quote
WHATTTTTTTTTTTTT?????????

You can put any fore grip you want on a gun classified as a "firearm" as long as the OAL is over 26". Just like you can put any type of fore grip on a rifle too. A VFG only becomes illegal if put on a pistol that is under 26". It does NOT matter if it is a VFG or AFG as long as the firearm is over 26". Please cite the applicable federal law/regulation stating that an AFG is illegal on a gun classified as a "firearm"

And if you are going to quote the rulings concerning "Other" firearms in CT? Those involved a folding stock adaptor. The ATF did say that any AR pistol or "other" with a folding adaptor must be measured with the adaptor folded. In that case, there is no way that the OAL will ever be over 26". If a standard non folding buffer tube is used and the OAL is over 26" then you can use any type of fore grip per federal law.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can put any fore grip you want on a gun classified as a "firearm" as long as the OAL is over 26". Just like you can put any type of fore grip on a rifle too. A VFG only becomes illegal if put on a pistol that is under 26". It does NOT matter if it is a VFG or AFG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can put any fore grip you want on a gun classified as a "firearm" as long as the OAL is over 26". Just like you can put any type of fore grip on a rifle too. A VFG only becomes illegal if put on a pistol that is under 26". It does NOT matter if it is a VFG or AFG

You are entirely incorrect.
I should have known all of the experts would chime in with nothing useful, just trying to appear knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I should have known all of the experts would chime in with nothing useful, just trying to appear knowledgeable.
View Quote
Well then please correct all of us "experts" by citing actual federal laws.

I own a perfect example for you. I have an AR pistol that is 26 1/2" OAL (not including flash hider). I currently have an angled fore grip on it which is quite legal and by federal law it is still classified as a pistol. Now I can absolutely legally put a Vertical fore grip on it if I want since it IS over 26". If I put a VFG on it, the legal federal classification changes from a pistol to "other" or simply a "firearm".
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I own a perfect example for you. I have an AR pistol that is 26 1/2" OAL (not including flash hider). I currently have an angled fore grip on it which is quite legal and by federal law it is still classified as a pistol. Now I can absolutely legally put a Vertical fore grip on it if I want since it IS over 26". If I put a VFG on it, the legal federal classification changes from a pistol to "other" or simply a "firearm".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently you are not familiar with firearm laws in Connecticut, but think that you are. Your just another expert that doesn't really care about helping, but rather try to show how knowledgeable he is. Unfortunately, you are not familiar with Connecticut laws and what a "other" firearm is and what is required of it. I will educate you however in that it requires a BBL length of at least 12", no butt stock, and a vertical fore grip, regardless of what you think it requires to be legal. You don't even live in Connecticut but think you know the laws here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Apparently you are not familiar with firearm laws in Connecticut, but think that you are. Your just another expert that doesn't really care about helping, but rather try to show how knowledgeable he is. Unfortunately, you are not familiar with Connecticut laws and what a "other" firearm is and what is required of it. I will educate you however in that it requires a BBL length of at least 12", no butt stock, and a vertical fore grip, regardless of what you think it requires to be legal
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Apparently you are not familiar with firearm laws in Connecticut, but think that you are. Your just another expert that doesn't really care about helping, but rather try to show how knowledgeable he is. Unfortunately, you are not familiar with Connecticut laws and what a "other" firearm is and what is required of it. I will educate you however in that it requires a BBL length of at least 12", no butt stock, and a vertical fore grip, regardless of what you think it requires to be legal
Okay I am being nice. In your original post you never specified that you are in Connecticut or that you were asking about Connecticut laws. We were going by federal laws. There is a big difference in what is legal by federal law and certain state laws.

From your original post:
Anyone know exactly what the specifications and/or dimensions of a required VFG  is on a "other" firearm since it has to have one? Specifically the minimum length of the VFG?
Not once did you mention that you were asking about state laws. If you do not specify then the rest of us will go by federal laws. So instead of getting upset and going off on people, how about being a little more specific in your questions.

Also you will get a better response to your questions regarding state laws by asking in the Connecticut hometown form versus asking here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Okay I am being nice. In your original post you never specified that you are in Connecticut or that you were asking about Connecticut laws. We were going by federal laws. There is a big difference in what is legal by federal law and certain state laws.

From your original post: Not once did you mention that you were asking about state laws. If you do not specify then the rest of us will go by federal laws. So instead of getting upset and going off on people, how about being a little more specific in your questions.

Also you will get a better response to your questions regarding state laws by asking in the Connecticut hometown form versus asking here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From your original post:
Not once did you mention that you were asking about state laws. If you do not specify then the rest of us will go by federal laws. So instead of getting upset and going off on people, how about being a little more specific in your questions.

It was VERY SPECIFIC. I don't think it could have been any clearer.
What is minimum length of a required VFG on a "other" firearm?
You don't know, but you couldn't resist talking about 26" oal and how you know the law. If you don't know the answer, don't respond to the question.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Like Villafuego stated, it doesn't matter the actual length of the Fore grip by federal laws and Like I said, You never specified that you were asking about Connecticut state laws. So yes I do know what I am talking about when it comes to federal law. I happen to live in a free state so don't keep up on restrictive laws of other states that I will never go to.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nope no where do you state that you are asking about Connecticut state laws, That is why we mentioned federal law.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You don't know, but you couldn't resist talking about 26" oal and how you know the law. If you don't know the answer, don't respond to the question.
View Quote

I would ask this question in the CT hometown sub-forum, this would help you avoid getting the answers framed around Federal laws, which you seem to want to avoid.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Like Villafuego stated, it doesn't matter the actual length of the Fore grip by federal laws and Like I said, You never specified that you were asking about Connecticut state laws. So yes I do know what I am talking about when it comes to federal law. I happen to live in a free state so don't keep up on restrictive laws of other states that I will never go to.
View Quote

Since it shows that I live in Connecticut, why would you think otherwise?
I can see very clearly that you live in Mo, and I didn't have to ask you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nope no where do you state that you are asking about Connecticut state laws, That is why we motions federal law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope no where do you state that you are asking about Connecticut state laws, That is why we motions federal law.

I never said federal law
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would ask this question in the CT hometown sub-forum, this would help you avoid getting the answers framed around Federal laws, which you seem to want to avoid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not trying to avoid federal law, why would you imply that? That's such an odd thing to say.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to avoid federal law, why would you imply that? That's such an odd thing to say.
View Quote

Avoid discussing Federal laws I mean, considering you argued against other posters with correct information, pertaining to Federal laws, when they assumed that's what your were asking about...

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Now you are twisting my words. I never said or implied that you were trying to avoid federal law. I stated that according to federal law, a vertical or angled fore grip are both legal on an AR classified as "other" as long as the OAL is over 26" And like I said before, you never specified that you were asking about Connecticut state laws. If you had stated that you were asking about Connecticut laws, I would have never replied.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Avoid discussing Federal laws I mean, considering you argued against other posters with correct information, pertaining to Federal laws, when they assumed that's what your were asking about...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you D_Man.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never asked anything about federal laws why would I want to discuss them?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He saying that people there would be kore likely to know the state laws as opposed the rest of us that default to federal law.  

You may not be trying to do so but you are coming across as a jerk and need to dial it back. If your original post had specified you were looking for state specific info it would be better.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Now you are twisting my words. I never said or implied that you were trying to avoid federal law. I stated that according to federal law, a vertical or angled fore grip are both legal on an AR classified as "other" as long as the OAL is over 26" And like I said before, you never specified that you were asking about Connecticut state laws. If you had stated that you were asking about Connecticut laws, I would have never replied.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your claiming that this information pertains to every state, which it does not.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

This exactly.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

He saying that people there would be kore likely to know the state laws as opposed the rest of us that default to federal law.  

You may not be trying to do so but you are coming across as a jerk and need to dial it back. If your original post had specified you were looking for state specific info it would be better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since every state is different, people shouldn't spread the wrong formation. Someone reading their information would assume it's ok to have a VFG in Connecticut, when it is not ok. The response has nothing to do with my question is the bottom line.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Okay done being nice. First of all you should be more specific about asking questions especially when you want state specific information. I never stated nor claimed that federal law pertains to every state. I only stated what federal law says. Now get your panties out of a wad. Stop twisting other peoples words. We were only trying to help since you never said that you were asking about state specific laws.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Okay done being nice. First of all you should be more specific about asking questions especially when you want state specific information. I never stated nor claimed that federal law pertains to every state. I only stated what federal law says. Now get your panties out of a wad. Stop twisting other peoples words. We were only trying to help since you never said that you were asking about state specific laws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You did absolutely zero to help, and never answered the question
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Since every state is different, people shouldn't spread the wrong formation. Someone reading their information would assume it's ok to have a VFG in Connecticut, when it is not ok.
View Quote
If you would have stated in your original post that you were asking about Connecticut law, this thread would not have turned into GD. None of us were spreading wrong information since you did NOT specify that you were talking about a state's laws.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you would have stated in your original post that you were asking about Connecticut law, this thread would not have turned into GD. None of us were spreading wrong information since you did NOT specify that you were talking about a state's laws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since every state is different, people shouldn't spread the wrong formation. Someone reading their information would assume it's ok to have a VFG in Connecticut, when it is not ok.

Every state has different laws, so you cannot make a blanket statement. You don't know the answer to the question period.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#29]
What ever man. You asked a question where you did NOT specify it was concerning state laws and I gave you the correct answer concerning federal law (as did others) and you want to argue with us. In now way did I state or imply any wrong information yet you keep saying that I did and that I don't know what I am talking about.

Pull your head out of your fourth point of contact and move out smartly!

I hope that a MOD actually locks this thread.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What ever man. You asked a question where you did NOT specify it was concerning state laws and I gave you the correct answer concerning federal law (as did others) and you want to argue with us. In now way did I state or imply any wrong information yet you keep saying that I did and that I don't know what I am talking about.

Pull your head out of your fourth point of contact and move out smartly!

I hope that a MOD actually locks this thread.
View Quote

You didn't give any answer to the question, get off your high horse.
Don't threaten me with your nonsense. " Move out smartly".
What a joke.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I've never seen anything stated that requires a vertical grip to be a certain size. Common sense would suggest that a human hand should be able to grasp it with some stability if it's considered a 'grip'. You should look into your state laws to see if a vertical grip has requirements?

Here is the GCA definition of a pistol=
The term “Pistol” means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:

a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);

and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Technically speaking, if you make a weapon and your original intent is to shoot it with two hands, the vertical grip is irrelevant. It can't be a pistol unless your intent was to shoot it with one hand. If you build a weapon with the intent to put a second hand on it when shooting, it's not technically a pistol by definition. If it's not a pistol but it also doesn't fit the definition of another weapon (such as a rifle, SBR, shotgun, etc.), it would be a plain firearm anyway. This is speaking federally.
So, your state law would be the only thing requiring you to have a vertical grip at all or defining what that grip would be for the gun to be considered a ''Firearm''.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've never seen anything stated that requires a vertical grip to be a certain size. Common sense would suggest that a human hand should be able to grasp it with some stability if it's considered a 'grip'. You should look into your state laws to see if a vertical grip has requirements?

Here is the GCA definition of a pistol=
The term “Pistol” means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:

a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);

and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Technically speaking, if you make a weapon and your original intent is to shoot it with two hands, the vertical grip is irrelevant. It can't be a pistol unless your intent was to shoot it with one hand. If you build a weapon with the intent to put a second hand on it when shooting, it's not technically a pistol by definition. If it's not a pistol but it also doesn't fit the definition of another weapon (such as a rifle, SBR, shotgun, etc.), it would be a plain firearm anyway. This is speaking federally.
So, your state law would be the only thing requiring you to have a vertical grip at all or defining what that grip would be for the gun to be considered a ''Firearm''.
View Quote

The state defines an "other firearm" as having BBL length over 12" so it's not considered a pistol, and no butt stock so it's not a rifle. It has the VFG so that it is intended to be fired with both hands, but not shouldered.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Im not familiar with ct law, but I've not seen any federal specs for vfg, other than it must be perpendicular to the bore. There are afg that are 89 degrees and still allowed as not vfg.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What a joke.
View Quote
Actually I did give an answer! And the answer was according to federal law since you did NOT specify that you were asking about state laws. Again, if you would have stated in your original post that you were in fact asking about Connecticut law, then I would have never posted a reply.

And No I did NOT threaten you in any way shape or form.

If you want a specific answer then you need to ask a specific question!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Im not familiar with ct law, but I've not seen any federal specs for vfg, other than it must be perpendicular to the bore. There are afg that are 89 degrees and still allowed as not vfg.
View Quote

I've used the BCM VFG that isn't true 90 degrees.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Actually I did give an answer! And the answer was according to federal law since you did NOT specify that you were asking about state laws. Again, if you would have stated in your original post that you were in fact asking about Connecticut law, then I would have never posted a reply.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a joke.

Ok, bye bye
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Gentlemen, get this under control.

Tone it down or this will be locked.

For a weapon to be a “firearm”, it needs a brace AND a vertical foregrip AND must be over 26” in length.

That 26+ weapon is not designed to be fired from the shoulder, because of the brace, AND it is not designed to be fired with one hand BECAUSE of the vertical grip indicates it’s designed to be fired with TWO.

Put an angled grip on it, and it’s just a long pistol.

That’s my read on it...

As far as Connecticut goes, ask someone from Connecticut.  But I think the “other firearm” and pistol are both good to go in CT.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/285/E6501E94-8C0C-456E-8B09-B71D4032A82A-1435227.jpg
View Quote

There is no CT "other firearm" in your list.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Funny, i couldnt seem to find a CT specific definition of “firearm” via ATF docs. Go ahead and link with anything you found
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Funny, i couldnt seem to find a CT specific definition of “firearm” via ATF docs. Go ahead and link with anything you found
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its called a "other firearm"
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Its called a "other firearm"
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Because if CT falls back on federal documents and definitions then i can suggest we are moving in the right direction with this thread, pending no additional regulation from CT, including anything about technical foregrip restrictions regarding an assembled FIREARM
Not
Quoted:
"other firearm"
View Quote

Sorry to split hairs here but this thread has been confusing
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#43]
And in agreement...
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You can put any fore grip you want on a gun classified as a "firearm" as long as the OAL is over 26". Just like you can put any type of fore grip on a rifle too. A VFG only becomes illegal if put on a pistol that is under 26". It does NOT matter if it is a VFG or AFG as long as the firearm is over 26". Please cite the applicable federal law/regulation stating that an AFG is illegal on a gun classified as a "firearm"
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#45]
In other words...
Quoted:

How do you know?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't believe there is a spec for length of grip.

How do you know?

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Because if CT falls back on federal documents and definitions then i can suggest we are moving in the right direction with this thread, pending no additional regulation from CT, including anything about technical foregrip restrictions reguarding an assembled FIREARM
Not

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Because if CT falls back on federal documents and definitions then i can suggest we are moving in the right direction with this thread, pending no additional regulation from CT, including anything about technical foregrip restrictions reguarding an assembled FIREARM
Not
Quoted:
"other firearm"

It's confusing for people that think they know everything about every states particular gun laws. In Connecticut for example our AR15's that we can only purchase now are called "other firearm" and have to meet specifications that I outlined earlier. We can purchase stripped lower receivers that must be built in compliance with Connecticut laws. When one purchases a stripped "other firearm" lower receiver one must sign a waiver agreeing to build according to the specifications outlined.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's confusing for people that think they know everything about every states particular gun laws. In Connecticut for example our AR15's that we can only purchase now are called "other firearm" and have to meet specifications that I outlined earlier. We can purchase stripped lower receivers that must be built in compliance with Connecticut laws. When one purchases a stripped "other firearm" lower receiver one must sign a waiver agreeing to build according to the specifications outlined.
View Quote

Ahh yes...
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ask someone from Connecticut.

View Quote

Couldnt have said it better myself Cincinnatus
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top