Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to shoot at night.

I'm going to start looking for a place closer to me where a 6 mile hike can be done.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNC:

Here's the list as it stands today. Let me know if I missed anyone.

HIKERS/ABB CANDIDATES
DFARM
the_life_and_times
Ben
sleepy_jerbear- provisional qual done 5/2, 2 hikes remaining on 3rd class
mancat
FrankW134
davidb1982
Jetnoise
Combat_Leader
sharkman6
Spikele
RePp
TNC - provisional qual done 5/2, 2 hikes remaining on 3rd class
Patchouli - provisional qual done 5/2, 2 hikes remaining on 3rd class

NIGHT SHOOTERS
mk4dubbin
Mainsail
white-Rhyno
FrankW134
FNnuts
mstennes
cornhskr
Genin
View Quote

I'm a night shooter
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TNC:

I can show you my secret night shooting spot. It's 6 miles from the road! 
View Quote

I better be killing shit if I'm walking that far even with these super nice mellow trails here.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Any of you guys fish?  I'm going to hit one of these high lakes tomorrow morning, along with everything I need to clean and cook on site and get back to my truck by nightfall in case the forest Nazis try to tow it at the trailhead.  This is new to me, never fished for trout but I have caught a few.  Taking a 2-piece rod and a cup of worms with my regular day hike pack.

High Lakes Overabundant list by County
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:27:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FrankW134:
Any of you guys fish?  I'm going to hit one of these high lakes tomorrow morning, along with everything I need to clean and cook on site and get back to my truck by nightfall in case the forest Nazis try to tow it at the trailhead.  This is new to me, never fished for trout but I have caught a few.  Taking a 2-piece rod and a cup of worms with my regular day hike pack.

High Lakes Overabundant list by County
View Quote

What county? A couple years ago my wife got me a nice backpacking fishing setup. That was right before my daughter was born so I haven't been able to use it too much. I'm no fisherman, but i'm pretty good at losing hooks and catching snags. I am hoping to make it out some more this year with my buddy who knows what he is doing. I checked the list for Snohomish county, I've been to several of the listed lakes in the past month, they were still iced over and covered in snow as of 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What county? A couple years ago my wife got me a nice backpacking fishing setup. That was right before my daughter was born so I haven't been able to use it too much. I'm no fisherman, but i'm pretty good at losing hooks and catching snags. I am hoping to make it out some more this year with my buddy who knows what he is doing. I checked the list for Snohomish county, I've been to several of the listed lakes in the past month, they were still iced over and covered in snow as of 2 weeks ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By FrankW134:
Any of you guys fish?  I'm going to hit one of these high lakes tomorrow morning, along with everything I need to clean and cook on site and get back to my truck by nightfall in case the forest Nazis try to tow it at the trailhead.  This is new to me, never fished for trout but I have caught a few.  Taking a 2-piece rod and a cup of worms with my regular day hike pack.

High Lakes Overabundant list by County

Im looking at Pierce and Lewis this week since most of the Gifford-Pinochet Forest is open to the public.  There are a few south of Scenic in King county Id like to hit, I just don't want to drive all the way up just to find out the trailheads are closed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:33:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I actually weighed my pack this morning before the walk. 43lbs.  Went 2.93miles in 56 minutes.

There's room for improvement.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:10:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm up for meeting some people for shoots and what not. No NV here yet .

I'm still healing from knee surgery earlier this year but would like to start working on hiking again.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 1:00:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Glad to see someone started this thread. I’m looking for some serious people to shoot with. I’m out in snohomish and sometimes shoot in duval. When is the next group shoot? I’m hoping to meet some battle buddies to with regularly.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Friday, July 3rd.

I have the day off and will be doing a battle buddy hike-- alone if necessary, but preferably with battle buddies if anybody is interested.
I'm in the Everett Area.  There are plenty of places throughout the county to do the baseline hike.  I can be flexible in the time and place.

The purpose of the battle buddy hikes are to meet like-minded individuals and a establish a minimum baseline of physical fitness.  As in anything, its best to do these kinds of things before a crisis might demand it.

If interested send me a PM or reply in this thread.

Link Posted: 7/12/2020 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Im looking at Pierce and Lewis this week since most of the Gifford-Pinochet Forest is open to the public.  There are a few south of Scenic in King county Id like to hit, I just don't want to drive all the way up just to find out the trailheads are closed.
View Quote

Any suggestions for out this way?  I was thinking that a night hike out in the elbe hills would be the easiest way to not get too many weird looks as a group of guys with backpacks and rifles.  Although it is about time to start getting in shape for hunting season.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Any suggestions for out this way?  I was thinking that a night hike out in the elbe hills would be the easiest way to not get too many weird looks as a group of guys with backpacks and rifles.  Although it is about time to start getting in shape for hunting season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem is the amount of foot traffic, even on the lightly used trails.  I think the best bet with rifles would be to step out at dusk or before sunrise if we dont want to raise concern with you typical hikers.  I usually carry a N frame or a 1911 when I'm out on trails, but that's not as noticable as a M4 at the low ready.  I'm gonna hit this one Wednesday, might be promising.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/washington/tahoma-creek-suspension-bridge-emerald-ridge-loop
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone linking up, or interested in linking up in the Lacey/Olympia area?
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:03:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone linking up, or interested in linking up in the Lacey/Olympia area?
View Quote

Might shoot in Olympic this week, haven't really looked at hiking spots around there though.  Im in Spanaway, couple others around JBLM as well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:32:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Might shoot in Olympic this week, haven't really looked at hiking spots around there though.  Im in Spanaway, couple others around JBLM as well.
View Quote

Where are you thinking about shooting? Capital Forest? PM me. Can you still access base? There are several good training areas that I'm sure haven't changed to much for hiking or Land Nav. I need to get at it for sure I'm very rusty.

Take Care.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Where are you thinking about shooting? Capital Forest? PM me. Can you still access base? There are several good training areas that I'm sure haven't changed to much for hiking or Land Nav. I need to get at it for sure I'm very rusty.

Take Care.
View Quote

Yeah, I go to the capital forest range, probably go tomorrow for some load testing.  I know a couple spots on post that you can get into the woods, I have not contacted range control for any training area access though.  I'll check with the northwest adventure center next time I'm there, might be able to get recreational day passes through them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Iirc, recreation passes come from range control on main post.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Iirc, recreation passes come from range control on main post.
View Quote

Northwest Adventure gives you a yellow access pass to display in your vehicle.  You have to login to https://webtrac.mwr.army.mil/webtrac103/wbwsc/lewisrectrac.wsc/wmhome.html?wbsi=cd919f7c-a1cd-f08a-5c14-9bbf98984316, that site allows you to view open training areas and reserve at a first-come basis.  The northwest adventure center inputs to type of recreational activity you request (I had bow hunting last fall) and if the area is open to bow hunting, you can select it for the day.  If military personnel are in the area, they get priority over your recreation.  The training area I was in was pretty vacant, in both people and deer.  Seems the deer know to hang out by housing during deer season.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Northwest Adventure gives you a yellow access pass to display in your vehicle.  You have to login to https://webtrac.mwr.army.mil/webtrac103/wbwsc/lewisrectrac.wsc/wmhome.html?wbsi=cd919f7c-a1cd-f08a-5c14-9bbf98984316, that site allows you to view open training areas and reserve at a first-come basis. The northwest adventure center inputs to type of recreational activity you request (I had bow hunting last fall) and if the area is open to bow hunting, you can select it for the day.  If military personnel are in the area, they get priority over your recreation.  The training area I was in was pretty vacant, in both people and deer.  Seems the deer know to hang out by housing during deer season.
View Quote

You learn something everyday. I have the range control access but never new about NW Adventure center access. Have any of you shot at base recently? If so is there several steel targets at 300y R15 now.

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Anybody on the OP feel free to PM.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Northwest Adventure gives you a yellow access pass to display in your vehicle.  You have to login to https://webtrac.mwr.army.mil/webtrac103/wbwsc/lewisrectrac.wsc/wmhome.html?wbsi=cd919f7c-a1cd-f08a-5c14-9bbf98984316, that site allows you to view open training areas and reserve at a first-come basis.  The northwest adventure center inputs to type of recreational activity you request (I had bow hunting last fall) and if the area is open to bow hunting, you can select it for the day.  If military personnel are in the area, they get priority over your recreation.  The training area I was in was pretty vacant, in both people and deer.  Seems the deer know to hang out by housing during deer season.
View Quote

Interesting. It's been a couple of years but you used to get a pink pass from range control and you had to call in to an automated check in/check out system.  I'm glad to see that they've advanced a bit.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Interesting. It's been a couple of years but you used to get a pink pass from range control and you had to call in to an automated check in/check out system.  I'm glad to see that they've advanced a bit.
View Quote

They still have that. I think my card this year is green.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 2:08:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You learn something everyday. I have the range control access but never new about NW Adventure center access. Have any of you shot at base recently? If so is there several steel targets at 300y R15 now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I need to register with the provost marshal first, it would save me a lot of gas though.

Quoted:

The website is kinda screwy, it takes me about 10 tries before I get a successful range search that allows me to select a training area.  Might just be my phone's browser being difficult, Id much prefer a simple phone call.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 4:20:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Well guys, I'm moving to Idaho. Sorry that life has been so crazy these past few months that I haven't been able to make it out to any rucks, but perhaps we shall cross paths again in the future. good luck and godspeed.

p.s. I got to try out night vision last week in Wyoming; def going to be joining that party ASAP :)
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't blame you.

As soon as I can figure out the financial part of it, I'll probably be heading that way myself.

Good luck in your new adventure!
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I like to hike, don't do it as much as I should. Sounds like a great thing and idea. I also want to shoot at night more. Need more practice. I have a really simple minimal set up. Ir laser and PVS14. Pleas add me the list and let me know when things come up. I am down in the Olympia area. I know places to hike and shoot in the area.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#31]
There will be another Battle Buddy hike this Saturday, August 1st, up at Monte Cristo Wa.    That's up in Snohomish County.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 1:17:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There will be another Battle Buddy hike this Saturday, August 1st, up at Monte Cristo Wa.    That's up in Snohomish County.
View Quote
Missing that one to do a rifle competition. Timing didnt work out. In that "shoot and move" equation shoot comes first, so gotta do the rifle training. I'll try to pick up the next "move" portion.

If you havent done CQB shooting moving through a maze though it is a hell of a lot of fun and really let you test out your gear and setups.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 2:52:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I'll be climbing Mt Adams, but I'm taking a ruck with my gear.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top