BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Just did a solo 3 mile test hike. Completed in 53:13, carrying my 9.5lb son, and a 48.4lb pack (I loaded to 45 and then realized that I needed to bring diaper supplies and an extra layer just in case!), dog walking with us as well. She's in heat so I like to keep her on leash since she's a little weird behaviorally right now, but once she's no longer in heat I think we can trim ~90 seconds off the time for her to pee on things and such (cuz she can just do it on her own and then catch up). Went from my front door to a location and back, so not going to share my specific route, but it was relatively flat.

Only thing that I would change moving forward would be figuring out the baby carrier in a way that I can have my chest strap buckled to better help distribute the weight. and maybe go back to running shoes over my boots... that part is something to test out.

Will definitely make this a more regular part of my routine, but confident about being able to do the 6 miles in under 2 hours. Particularly if I'm off baby duty (since his staying power in the carrier is about 57 mins, lol) when we do our official hike.

eta: grammar.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#4]
My oldest daughter and I got out for a run this morning.  It was like a ghost town. We only saw 4 cars in the 30 minutes we were out.

There's usually more than that in the driveway for the coffee stand. Lol

Maybe we'll start rucking a couple times a week.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the boney lake area and would enjoy joining when this nonsense is past us. Hopefully it's really over by may 4.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone been out to Greenwater area lately?  Gonna try to camp/shoot out that way Monday night as long as USFS hasn't closed that area down.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Today's short-time hike was 3 cycles up a set of 137 steps behind the Dick's sporting goods.

@sleepy_jerbear knows where it is!
View Quote

Ran up it and went around the loop 6 times and my legs were hurting for days afterward.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Is anyone doing the American Pioneer Corps hikes in Kitsap county?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:55:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I have every other Wednesday right now to get out for longer excursions. I'm in central snohomish county. Two weeks ago I went just under 10 miles, 7 of it in snowshoes with 2K feet gained.

It was my first snowshoe of the year and beat my legs up pretty good.

I may go back this Wednesday with a full day to attempt the route for the full 15 miles and 3500 feet. I need to see how well the fresh snow consolidates over the next two days to assess the avalanche risk.

I've tried and can not remember the last time I went out and rucked a flat course for distance/time. It's been a few years at least.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:15:42 AM EDT
[#14]
South Snohomish County here. Anybody want to go hit it around Edmonds/Mukilteo, send me a PM.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have every other Wednesday right now to get out for longer excursions. I'm in central snohomish county. Two weeks ago I went just under 10 miles, 7 of it in snowshoes with 2K feet gained.

I may go back this Wednesday with a full day to attempt the route for the full 15 miles and 3500 feet. I need to see how well the fresh snow consolidates over the next two days to assess the avalanche risk.

I've tried and can not remember the last time I went out and rucked a flat course for distance/time. It's been a few years at least.
View Quote

There is actually an established adjustment for snowshoes. Remind me to post it a little later if I haven't.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think I sent you a PM but it's not in my sent folder. Let me know if I need to re transmit
View Quote

Got it.

Sent a reply.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 2:21:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is relevant to my interests.

If there's one for cross country skis, go ahead and post it too. I need an excuse to get up and slide around on the  icy stuff we call snow
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is actually an established adjustment for snowshoes. Remind me to post it a little later if I haven't.

This is relevant to my interests.

If there's one for cross country skis, go ahead and post it too. I need an excuse to get up and slide around on the  icy stuff we call snow

There is. I'll put it up tomorrow when I am more awake.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey Ya'll:

Chiming in, I've been rucking with a 50lb sandbag in a backpack pretty regularly, or my 25lb kid.  Would be great to train together.  Located in Newcastle
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I know a spot out near Quilcene, might get 80 yards or so, and a 45° arc if you needed.

At our recent active shooter training, the instructor made a point that people who own guns are OK, but if you know someone that feels like they need to shoot in low light levels, they should probably be reported.  
View Quote

I guess I'm really old school... I always thought that anyone who carried a firearm SHOULD learn how to shoot it in the dark with a flashlight and without.  Otherwise, they wouldn't know what to do.  

That instructor's statement is as stupid as saying someone wants to learn to drive at night should be reported.

I used to encourage shooting students to shoot under as many unusual conditions as possible.  As humans, we all want to compare to past things we have encountered...the "tastes kinda like chicken " is a perfect example.  The more unusual things you encounter and practice, the more able to deal with unusual situations in the future you will be.  Rather than your thought process being shocked and thinking "Oh my God, I have never done anything like this..what do I do", you would be able to think, "this is sort of like the time I did 'x', so I am OK".
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I just moved to Snoqualmie. I've spent alot of time under a ruck in the mountains with nods. I'll be down to play. Wp14, pvs30, cans, carriers etc.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I did a 4.5 hike at 3.2 mph with 45 lbs yesterday evening. Yup the legs are feeling it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey, real talk time for a second...

How many of you would be interested in the Warfighter Challenge but are intimidated by the events? I've had a couple people suggest folks might shy away because it looks too difficult.  I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Here's the roster so far. Let me know if I missed anyone. I wasn't particularly careful. And I made up for it by being sloppy. Let me know if you're interested in both night shoots, and ABB quals.

Those who want to meet up, fill in your nearest city so we can start to organize a bit. And I know of one other group forming up, we plan to merge at some point.

HIKERS/ABB CANDIDATES
DFARM
the_life_and_times
Ben
sleepy_jerbear
mancat
FrankW134
davidb1982
Jetnoise
Combat_Leader
sharkman6
Spikele
RePp
TNC - Issaquah

NIGHT SHOOTERS
mk4dubbin
Mainsail
white-Rhyno
FrankW134
FNnuts
mstennes
cornhskr
Genin
TNC
View Quote

Seattle. Also, I’d be game for night shooting but am currently just a white light poor, so so with that information what you will.

Quoted:

How many of you would be interested in the Warfighter Challenge but are intimidated by the events? I've had a couple people suggest folks might shy away because it looks too difficult.  I'd like to hear your thoughts.
View Quote

Definitely game.

ETA: it’s it a bit of a trek for people and might be inaccessible—perhaps adding in some lower barrier to entry programs similar to ABB that people can do together to prepare?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm a bit south of Graham.

I'll hike or shoot in the dark.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 1:44:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 2:09:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Here's the roster so far. Let me know if I missed anyone. I wasn't particularly careful. And I made up for it by being sloppy. Let me know if you're interested in both night shoots, and ABB quals.

Those who want to meet up, fill in your nearest city so we can start to organize a bit. And I know of one other group forming up, we plan to merge at some point.

View Quote

Spanaway here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:38:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let's do it!
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Seattle. Also, I’d be game for night shooting but am currently just a white light poor, so so with that information what you will.

Definitely game.

ETA: it’s it a bit of a trek for people and might be inaccessible—perhaps adding in some lower barrier to entry programs similar to ABB that people can do together to prepare?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Definitely game.

The idea is using ABB events to prepare...the reason for the high barrier to entry is, honestly, it is a difficult event. I'd recommend people consider the 3 mile, 6 mile, 9 mile hike construct to work their way up.  As the event nears it will open to people signing up who haven't been able to bring together enough folks to hit the ABB standards with witnesses. Over time we want to help people get to where each area has groups training in all the skills used at the challenge.

Quoted:

Let's do it!

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#34]
@Ben

I mean less in regards to the event itself, and more around the logistics side of things. But I def get your point around ABB program being the prep!
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm in for night shooting too
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@sleepy_jerbear forgot his ruck. Slacker!

View Quote

Right, “forgot”.......
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Right, “forgot”.......
View Quote

Working smarter, not harder
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sunday was stair day. 138 steps, 54 lb pack, 10 times up. This is quite the popular place with the fitness crowd. All socially distanced and everything. Pretty sure my glock hat helped keep people at bay.

@sleepy_jerbear forgot his ruck. Slacker!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170924/jer_stair-1378720.jpg
View Quote

They'd probably really love it if i wore my plate carrier
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

weight vests are becoming pretty common in workouts.

Mine has magazines, radios and tourniquets hanging off it so it might draw attention.
View Quote

I’ve been running in my PC, granted I don’t keep the mag placard on it when I do that. I do keep my CAT TQ on it but I don’t think most people know what it is when they see me on the street.

I like it for running because it’s more comfy than carrying in a Hill people Gear chest rig, and frankly between being super mobile, having great vitals protection, and always running with my Rottweiler, I’m generally not concerned with people fucking with us. Plus it helps me build my strength and endurance :)
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TNC:

Memorial Day is traditionally the Murph workout. My gym is already starting to prep people for it. Looks like a bit of a grind (understatement). You're supposed to wear a 20 lb vest, I'm pretty sure my steel plates are at least 20 lb. 

We'll see if Karen down the street calls the cops for the weird old dude running around the neighborhood armored up.
View Quote

Wear a gas mask.  Increases breathing resistance, so it's like a super workout.

Channel "Rudy" from Generation Kill....

https://youtu.be/gFVfbPFADF4?t=51
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:51:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Memorial Day is traditionally the Murph workout. My gym is already starting to prep people for it. Looks like a bit of a grind (understatement). You're supposed to wear a 20 lb vest, I'm pretty sure my steel plates are at least 20 lb. 

We'll see if Karen down the street calls the cops for the weird old dude running around the neighborhood armored up.
View Quote

Your gym is open?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Last Saturday @sleepy_jerbear, myself, and some dude from banned camp met up for our first qual hike. Yes, it took me a week to upload the photos

@Ben, how do we submit this for credit?

We exploited a break in the weather to meet up south of Woodinville, and deemed ourselves essential. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170924/ABB_scofflaws_5-2-20-1410577.jpg

All of us opted for the 45 lb option and no long gun. Verified with a luggage scale. In fact we took a few pounds out of Jerbear's pack to save his hips and knees. That dude is just a glutton for punishment I guess.

We did 6 miles in well under the 2 hour time cap, and got back to the car just in time for the real heavy stuff to come down.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170924/ABB_hike_1_trip_computer_5-2-20-1410580.jpg

You know we ain't too good looking
But we are satisfied, satisfied  -- Lemmy

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170924/ABB_hike_1_dudes_5-2-10-1410581.jpg
View Quote

Looks like you guys are off to a good start...I appreciate your willingness to train regardless of potentially bad weather.

Please throw up a post in the main guidelines thread to facilitate easier tracking.  Look forward to you all bringing more into the activities!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top