Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2022 1:55:54 PM EDT
I have just been stewing over this shooting for the last 3 days..after the shock, I quickly grew Pissed, truly pissed off
I honestly feel the sorrow of these parents to my bones and feel just helpless in what to do...
The biggest thing next to this horrendous act is the fact I believed them, I thought it was taken care of
I was told They'd do it without question after Sandy Hook, They promised again and again .
THEY  said they'd fix it
THEY said they'd secure our kids,
THEY said we'd train those that desired it, the Teachers, The administrators the Janitors and the lunch ladies ANYONE who'd stand between EVIL and our Kids with a firearm, train them, insure them, protect them on OUR DIME
They'd  said THEY would get it taken care of
THEY PROMISED they'd secure the doors, the windows, the locks, the deadbolts the emergency cables and insure
Lock down areas where NO ONE got thru the second door or could shoot thru a window at OUR KIDS
THEY, THEM, THOSE USELESS BASTARDS We've "elected" to office PROMISED TO PROTECT OUR KIDS
those UNION REPS those Shop Stewards, those SHERIFFS, POLICE CHIEFS, MAYORS, AND FREAKING SCHOOL BOARDS, YOUR SENATOR and YOUR CONGRESSIONAL REP PROMISED US,
YOU, ME,
WE THE PEOPLE
THY PROMISED THEY'D DO THEIR FREAKING JOB ONE AND PROTECT OUR CITIZENS, ESPECIALLY and EXPRESSLY: OUR KIDS..
EVERY ONE of these useless elected officials NEED TO BE ON NOTICE we're Coming for your job, WE WANT YOU TO RESIGN IN SHAME IF YOU HAVE REFUSED TO PROTECT OUR CHILDREN, Yesterday or today..DO THE JOB OR GET THE HELL OUT...
Yours in disgust
Douglas Morris
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody will protect your and yours but you
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#2]
My school district has required training active shooter training that every employee must complete yearly. Campuses have fire, tornado, evacuation and active shooter/intruder drills monthly.  We contract with LE from multiple agencies to patrol every elementary campus in our district to familiarize themselves with the layout. At any one time there are six police officers on a roving patrol. Every secondary campus has at least one full time police officer in the building.

My district spent millions of dollars two decades ago (before Sandy Hook) to restrict access to our campuses. After Sandy Hook they upgraded the entry of each campus to include double doors with electronic locks. Each classroom that has doors, has a locking mechanism that automatically locks the door when closed.
The feds and the State of Texas made hundreds of millions of $$$$ available to schools to "harden" their schools.

But all it takes is one person, a teacher, a janitor or a student to prop a door open to defeat every lock in that school.

There is no ONE THING that will stop a nutjob from hurting kids or teachers. You could build a 20' wall around a school with guard towers.....they'll just attack a school bus. All the electric locks in the world wont keep a bad guy from shooting out the glass or bum rushing the door when kids are coming in off the playground after recess.

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My school district has required training active shooter training that every employee must complete yearly. Campuses have fire, tornado, evacuation and active shooter/intruder drills monthly.  We contract with LE from multiple agencies to patrol every elementary campus in our district to familiarize themselves with the layout. At any one time there are six police officers on a roving patrol. Every secondary campus has at least one full time police officer in the building.

My district spent millions of dollars two decades ago (before Sandy Hook) to restrict access to our campuses. After Sandy Hook they upgraded the entry of each campus to include double doors with electronic locks. Each classroom that has doors, has a locking mechanism that automatically locks the door when closed.
The feds and the State of Texas made hundreds of millions of $$$$ available to schools to "harden" their schools.

But all it takes is one person, a teacher, a janitor or a student to prop a door open to defeat every lock in that school.

There is no ONE THING that will stop a nutjob from hurting kids or teachers. You could build a 20' wall around a school with guard towers.....they'll just attack a school bus. All the electric locks in the world wont keep a bad guy from shooting out the glass or bum rushing the door when kids are coming in off the playground after recess.

View Quote

Unfortunately a lot truth there.  The only thing that stops a nut or otherwise with a gun doing bad things is someone with a gun.  While we know few teachers possess John Wick skills to stop school shootings...and apparently some cops don't possess those skills either...I'm a proponent of that option because teachers and other staff are the personnel on the scene who might make a difference in the seconds that count.  

Even those schools who have a competent SRO can't guarantee how quickly he/she will be able to respond...or the will to respond.  Plus, they may be first target if the shooter has done any intel gathering or preparation.  So many educators are against this concept of armed teachers regardless of training or background of those who would be willing to arm themselves.  I concede that it is not an easy concept to sell to the educational system where many of those in leadership may even have a downright aversion to firearms.

But however one tends to look at the option of some armed teachers and staff, it isn't much different than you or I going about our daily lives out in public and not being armed for our own self defense.  The police won't be able to be on scene when we are robbed, assaulted, or threatened.  In most cases we are responsible for our own defense in the opening seconds of an attack...just like the teachers, staff, and children in school settings.

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So many educators are against this concept of armed teachers regardless of training or background of those who would be willing to arm themselves.  I concede that it is not an easy concept to sell to the educational system where many of those in leadership may even have a downright aversion to firearms.

But however one tends to look at the option of some armed teachers and staff, it isn't much different than you or I going about our daily lives out in public and not being armed for our own self defense.  The police won't be able to be on scene when we are robbed, assaulted, or threatened.  In most cases we are responsible for our own defense in the opening seconds of an attack...just like the teachers, staff, and children in school settings.

View Quote

This is what needs to be pushed hard.  Their feelings about icky guns contributed to twenty-something people being murdered.  Active shooter drills didn't help.  "Hardening" the schools didn't help.  The police sure as hell didn't help.  Enough is enough.  Arm all teachers, eliminate all location prohibitions from LTC.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is what needs to be pushed hard.  Their feelings about icky guns contributed to twenty-something people being murdered.  Active shooter drills didn't help.  "Hardening" the schools didn't help.  The police sure as hell didn't help.  Enough is enough.  Arm all teachers, eliminate all location prohibitions from LTC.
View Quote

<-----current teacher and FFL/SOT

First, STOP ADDING SHIT FOR ME TO DO! I want to be a teacher, not a security guard.

I would love it if my school district allowed me to carry, but "arm all teachers"? Fuck no. Not everyone has the mindset, much less the training to carry and use a firearm.

And yes, all teachers SHOULD be allowed to carry, but not required to carry.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

First, STOP ADDING SHIT FOR ME TO DO! I want to be a teacher, not a security guard.

I would love it if my school district allowed me to carry, but "arm all teachers"? Fuck no. Not everyone has the mindset, much less the training to carry and use a firearm.

View Quote

you are correct, arm those desiring to stand between evil and insanity and protect innocents, from the janitor up to the principals and everyone in between

Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Proficiency is key and it should be gtg if they want to carry
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait!...you mean the purple haired social studies teacher shouldn't be required to carry a firearm?

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly that there would be many who would not only not desire to be armed but shouldn't be armed.  I've never heard what kind of vetting process is in place in those school districts that allow this.  I'm sure it involves more than..."Hey Principal Smith, look at this neat 50-cal Desert Eagle I have here."
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wait!...you mean the purple haired social studies teacher shouldn't be required to carry a firearm?

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly that there would be many who would not only not desire to be armed but shouldn't be armed.  I've never heard what kind of vetting process is in place in those school districts that allow this.  I'm sure it involves more than..."Hey Principal Smith, look at this neat 50-cal Desert Eagle I have here."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most schools evening mentioning wanting to carry will result in a contract not being renewed
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Most schools evening mentioning wanting to carry will result in a contract not being renewed
View Quote

Not at all true.
School districts in Texas must show documentable deficiencies, incompetencies, or violations of state law.
Merely being an advocate of concealed carry, open carry, the School Marshal/Guardian plan isn't grounds for nonrenewal.

School districts are terrified of the risk and liability they would assume if they granted permission for teachers to carry firearms.

The current School Marshal and Guardian programs are a joke, intended to pander to the ignorant.

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I think everyone should calm the hell down and not make statements that originate out of emotional reactions about this.

Regardless of what your opinion is. Including the OP.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think everyone should calm the hell down and not make statements that originate out of emotional reactions about this.

View Quote

So which "statements" are allowed within your envelope of sensibilities?...LOL!

What's wrong with discussing the option of competent and capably armed teachers?
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who upset you?
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not supposed to be a security guard.  You're just supposed to not be a victim.  Be a teacher until someone confronts you with lethal force, then kill that person.

Okay I should pull it back.  Arm all the teachers who are willing to be armed and will accept training to work with other teachers and a plan for the campus.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Israel has the right idea on this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top