Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2020 6:11:51 PM EDT
So I was offered a job working on post as a contractor and am very much so wanting to do that, But I know very little about the area and would love to get some incite of the place other then just well it's an ARMY town. I am a married man with a baby boy on the way and have two dogs so I'm not going out looking to club tell the sun comes up anymore lol. What is the living conditions like around Columbus, is there a lot to do, hunting, fishing, four wheeling, hiking, outdoor ranges? My wife loves caves and to look at rock formations any thing like that there?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Also forgot to ask is there any beaches around or to go to i know Savannah has one, anyone know a good place to learn to scuba dive?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]
As for outdoor ranges there's 2.
Strongpoint  and EAGC .  I live closer to Strongpoint, but I'm a member of EAGC.  If you're not interesting in joining, Strongpoint would be a better choice, since it's open to anybody for $20 a day, while EAGC you need a member to take you in.
As for other outdoor activities - Yes, except caving.  Also, I hope you like hot and humid from about April thru Sept.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:09:19 AM EDT
[#4]
What Lonewolf545 said.

It’s alternately a safeish place but yet you can find trouble super easy. Or rather trouble can find you.
It’s NOT politically conservative at all. It’s very much a blue area. Like it’s semi-predictable but depending on where you live you will be hearing gunfire or sirens every night. Shooters is a ripoff. It’s called Killumbus for a reason. Avoid peachtree mall. Avoid Macon road.

Downtown is drunk joes, college kids going through their bicurious rebel phase, and a lot of beggars. I mean it’s sorta worth it to go during weekday to see specialty shops but you wont be hanging out there much.

It’s a place to live. You will be wanting to go outta town to do anything interesting.

Like you aren’t too far from some beaches but far enough. There are some landmarks.

Still. Infantry museum is a must see. As is Oxbow meadows.

It gets super ghetto super fast. It’s not getting better. Lots of dead stores.

It’s not a happy place
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:13:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also forgot to ask is there any beaches around or to go to i know Savannah has one, anyone know a good place to learn to scuba dive?
View Quote
Planet Ocean off Airport Thruway. Great instructors, reasonable prices.

There’s other scuba places but he’s been in it the longest and can get everyone certified.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:15:16 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're looking for caving the closest good stuff is north ga in the pigeon mountain area.

PM me if you have any other questions
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m probably PCSing this summer and I’ve got 28 acres, pond, range, 3 bed/bath plus den, and a rental bringing in some cash I’ll want to sell and I can save us both a ton of money if we don’t use stupid [s]thieves[/] real estate agents.

Ohh, 26 minutes from sand hill, similar commute time as living on the north side of Columbus but without the traffic.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
although any firearms used must be registered on post and can't be left unattended in a vehicle, although the range has some firearm storage available.  
View Quote
Not totally true. You have to have a use for it on your trip to post (I.e. hunting or using the range) that day. You can’t just chuck your EDC in a lock box everyday when you come on.

Also this year they amended the regs to authorize suppressors...my packet appears to be the first and there’s no system in place so I’ve been working through Garrison since before Christmas. Hopefully I push the packet through before I leave so it will be easier for the next guys
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was going off the range website which referenced MCoE Reg 190-11 which forbids the unattended storage of firearms in vehicles.
View Quote
Storage does not equal transportation. Keep reading the same paragraph it talks about leaving POWs in vehicles while you do other activities.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in Columbus. The north side of town is pretty safe. I would say that Macon road is pretty much a geographical line of desirable versus undesirables. In other words, north of Macon Road is good.

the area is expanding north and east. Midland is really growing.

The downtown area on Broadway (Uptown) has several great restaurants, coffee shops, the river walk, etc.

It is a great place to raise a family provided you stay in the safe parts of town, which is easy to do.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not totally true. You have to have a use for it on your trip to post (I.e. hunting or using the range) that day. You can’t just chuck your EDC in a lock box everyday when you come on.

Also this year they amended the regs to authorize suppressors...my packet appears to be the first and there’s no system in place so I’ve been working through Garrison since before Christmas. Hopefully I push the packet through before I leave so it will be easier for the next guys
View Quote
Do you mean to register on post for hunting or just use at the POW range? When I was at Stewart they'd let me register it, but CLE told me even though it was good for WMA land it was a nogo on fed public land hunting.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you mean to register on post for hunting or just use at the POW range? When I was at Stewart they'd let me register it, but CLE told me even though it was good for WMA land it was a nogo on fed public land hunting.
View Quote
If it comes through the gate it has to be registered with DES. I think there is an exception for folks living on post that you have 72 hrs from the time you purchase it in case you bought it Friday night or something but don’t quote me on that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
North Columbus isn't bad and there're some nicer areas on the Alabama side of the river.

Phenix city, Smith Station, Salem, and Fort Mitchell. Just depends on how far you want to drive.

Edit: There is a lot to do.

Whittlesey BLVD is where you want to go in Columbus to shop, dinner and movie theater.

If you're into hiking you have Pine Mountain has a 22 mile trail and 6 mile loops. There also is Calloway Gardens which is a really awesome place.

There is a few 4x4 parks within driving distance. Hills n Hollers, Boondocks and Bogging on the Plains.

There are a lot of fishing spots on and off Benning.

Hannahactchee WMA that has a camping site and a 175m and 35m range for free (if you have a land use or hunting license).
Since you will be a contractor I'm pretty sure you can hunt on Benning which is where I do a lot of my hunting.

There is also a few Mt biking trails, road bike, hiking trails around Columbus and also whitewater rafting and kayaking.

Shooters has an indoor range its expensive but they have a Silencer Shop kiosk and there is Strongpoint gun range and shooting complex in Waverly Hall about a 35 min drive.

With a 30 to 40 min drive west you will be in Auburn/Opelika which is a nice area to shop (Tiger town in Opelika) and have dinner. Then you have Auburn University so you can go watch all the games at the college if you're into that.

There is a really nice gun store there called "The Firing Pin" in Opelika they have a indoor rifle and pistol range. They are also a class 3 dealer.

Ill edit again if I can think of anything else.

Edit2

Downtown Columbus you have a few nice places to have drinks and dinner but it fills up with Joe at night. On select Saturdays you have local venders selling produce, clothes, soap, art, etc.

Nonic beer & kitchen is a nice place to have a few craft beers and dinner. The owners also own Jar Fly in Columbus same type of place.

Chawackla state park in Auburn is a nice place to hike, mt bike and they have a lake as well.

Columbus has a small airport that only flies Delta to ATL and small planes.

There is only one Motorsports place and they just rebuilt. They have a pretty nice setup now.

There is all types of rock formations and mini water falls you just have to do a little exploring

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Dirt Track in Phenix City.
Attachment Attached File

Boggin on the plains.
Attachment Attached File

Flower garden trails in Columbus (unimproved as well).
Attachment Attached File

US ARMY Armor collection on Benning  (just gotta know someone to get in)
Attachment Attached File

AU
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#16]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163367/3BF1E5A7-7902-4474-8986-2DA98E254E41_jpe-1256018.JPG
View Quote
Nice, never seen that before
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163367/3BF1E5A7-7902-4474-8986-2DA98E254E41_jpe-1256018.JPG
Word is they’re going to make a building on Harmony Church for the Collection.

Unfortunately it isn’t open to the public right now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
I’m probably PCSing this summer and I’ve got 28 acres, pond, range, 3 bed/bath plus den, and a rental bringing in some cash I’ll want to sell and I can save us both a ton of money if we don’t use stupid [s]thieves[/] real estate agents.

Ohh, 26 minutes from sand hill, similar commute time as living on the north side of Columbus but without the traffic.
View Quote
Shoot I might get my wife on bourd with this is there a way to get some pics of the house?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sorry I normally just read not ask talk on the form so forgive me on replying weirdly, any who I am definitely interested and i think i might be able to get my wife on bord so just DM me pleas and thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top