Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2017 10:38:37 AM EDT
Been there a few times-- done all the touristy stuff.  Looking fro other interdasting things to do

another island is out-- too expensive

planning:
-koko head climb
-Hanauma Bay (missed it last time and kids want to go)
-Bellows beach

-- were thinking of the west side of the island--never been over there-- anything to see?  anything to avoid?

they want to hike, but I don't want to have to drive all day either.

any help would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Kaena too far to drive to/back in a day?

don't suppose we can drive up by the radar stations for a view?

will check out koko crater!!

thanks!

any suggestions for food?  already been to the food trucks.  Anywhere on the island, but near Waikiki would be nice too for ease of getting to.  (note--not seafood though :) )
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]
awesome-- thanks again!

we have been there before--just looking for something "different"/ unique / off the beaten path...(where we wont get beaten on the path...) :)

I will check out some of those places.  KOKO crater is for sure gonna happen.  Prob will go to one of those joints to chow after the hike.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Stairway to heaven still accessible on the windward side?   I know it wasn't always "officially" open but we used to climb it.  Probably my favorite hike ever.

Olomana in Kailua a great hike also.  Nice 360 windward views from the peaks.  

How bout Kailua beach and rent kayaks and paddle out to the Twin Moke islands?   You can hike around to the backside and jump off the cliffs into a cove. Certain times during the year the birds will be there in ground nests.  Its pretty cool when you hiking around to the back and walking past all these holes in the ground with seabirds in them.  They make funny noises.

Makapuu point nice hike with great views.  You could do that and Haunama bay in the same day.  

Good luck and stay safe.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#6]
trip went great (as usual)

did a lot of hiking...I don't know all the names of the spots, but found a lot of pill-boxes to climb to-- a pink one on the west side.  kept going up to the furthest beach (vey nice sand and view) with seals too!

did another hike on way to bellows--all paved, more touristy. but again awesome views

wandered Waikiki---which I like to do

hung out at beach bar (hale koa) which I like to do even more :)

Punchbowl crater memorial...that place always brings a tear to my eyes.

weather was kind of a bummer-- "cool"' and rained a lot--- was very windy most days.  first time I wore a jacket in HI

thanks for all the suggestions-- we plan on going back in four years for our 25th (no kids)

people say up here that we have "Minnesota nice" (Midwest nice)...lolz....people in HI were much more friendly than up here.  I guess I would be pretty happy loving in paradise too :)

thanks HI for your hospitality!
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

did a lot of hiking...I don't know all the names of the spots, but found a lot of pill-boxes to climb to-- a pink one on the west side.  kept going up to the furthest beach (vey nice sand and view) with seals too!
View Quote
Did you walk or climb up to Maile pillboxes? I looked up the trailhead online and went up the hard (fun) route by accident.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#8]
yep--did that trail-- awesome views!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top