Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2018 4:55:22 PM EDT
Me and my family just moved into South Tampa.  We'll be around for a year or so, and then we'll be off again.  What're the things we must do around here given we'll only be here about a year.

Also

What's Ocala National Forest like?

and

Are private firearm sales still legal in FLA (Don't have to go through a FFL)?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Private sales still legal, as for what to do, tons of great restaurants to hit, plus the usual theme parks. Lots of good fishing if you're into fishing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Me and my family just moved into South Tampa.  We'll be around for a year or so, and then we'll be off again.  What're the things we must do around here given we'll only be here about a year.

Also

What's Ocala National Forest like?

and

Are private firearm sales still legal in FLA (Don't have to go through a FFL)?

Thanks!
View Quote
I just moved here too. About a month and a half ago.
If ya ever want to do lunch and or go to a range let me know.

I highly recommend Clearwater beach, the aquarium is nice in Tampa, Madeira beach and pier is neat, Anna Maria island is nice too.
About all we've done so far.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Shooter's World, bring $$$.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shooter's World, bring $$$.
View Quote
And get there early if it's a weekend.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Too funny, we're lifelong residents of S Tampa (Bay to Bay and Dale Mabry) and just sold our home here and are moving to our lake place in Ocala NF. The S Tampa attraction is location, that's it. You're 25 minutes from St Pete, Clwtr, Brandon and USF plus during rush hour your going out while everyone else is coming in and visa versa. Kinda sleepy down here but walking the pier at ballast point or picnic Is or a stroll down Bay Shore is nice. Eats are everywhere, our favorite is Miguel's on Kennedy Blvd for dinner or Roberts Meats at El Prado and West Shore for lunch (great Cuban Sandwich). Fine fare can be found at Bern's or Charlie's.

Ocala NF is a blast, tons to do and explore. Great spring runs to kayak, lakes to fish, woods to hunt and ATV/jeep trails everywhere. The best thing is the local folks, it's not like the liberal diverse urban shithole Tampa is becoming, you can actually go for a walk, pump gas or go shopping without having your head on a swivel watching out for for some dirt bag like it is here.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The range in Ocala NF gets a little to crazy for my taste, or did 15 years ago.  Check the Hernando Sportsman Club,  there is a small one in Willison, or consider buying a few cheap acres near Brooksville and building your own private range
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 12:38:09 AM EDT
[#7]
S. Tampa to St. Pete or Clearwater in 25 min........   HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa.

Catch the traffic wrong and it takes 25 min. just to get 275 from S Dale Mabry. Really, count on a good 45 min. to get to Clearwater if traffic is OK, longer to St Pete. If you go south on the main Clearwater beachfront road (Glufview Blvd), and just over the bridge, is another beach area (I can't think of the name at the moment) that is usually not as congested as Clearwater beach but just as nice. Oh yea, derp, the name is Sand Key County Park, give it a look.

Of course there are nice beaches about an hour or so south, over the big bridge (AKA The Skyway). North is Crystal River and a bunch of natural springs to explore, (if you are in to that) as well as lots of places to go canoeing. Also, any number of places to go see the Manatee, but do not mes with them in any way, shape , or form unless you what to get loved tenderly. It is a biiiiig NO NO.

A lot of things to do that will not cost much. Go out and have fun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#8]
As for stuff to do... good Cuban food in Ybor City.

Lowrey Park Zoo

Busch Gardens

Drive over to Disney, etc.

Florida Aquarium

Lots of beautiful outdoors - Homasassa Springs, Crystal River, etc

I don't like large cities and typically keep north of a line between Crystal River and Ormond Beach - seems that is a dividing line between Florida and S. Florida.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
S. Tampa to St. Pete or Clearwater in 25 min........   HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa.

Catch the traffic wrong and it takes 25 min. just to get 275 from S Dale Mabry. Really, count on a good 45 min. to get to Clearwater if traffic is OK, longer to St Pete. If you go south on the main Clearwater beachfront road (Glufview Blvd), and just over the bridge, is another beach area (I can't think of the name at the moment) that is usually not as congested as Clearwater beach but just as nice. Oh yea, derp, the name is Sand Key County Park, give it a look.

Of course there are nice beaches about an hour or so south, over the big bridge (AKA The Skyway). North is Crystal River and a bunch of natural springs to explore, (if you are in to that) as well as lots of places to go canoeing. Also, any number of places to go see the Manatee, but do not mes with them in any way, shape , or form unless you what to get loved tenderly. It is a biiiiig NO NO.

A lot of things to do that will not cost much. Go out and have fun.
View Quote
Your handle fits you. You ever look at a map or are you simply geographically challenged.
I can be across Gandy in 20 minutes, that is St Pete. I can be at the airport easily in 15 minutes and 15 more minutes west on the Courtney crumble puts me in Clwtr. Let me guess, you live in Valrico? HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Go have lunch at datz
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 1:46:29 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife and I love to go kayaking on the Weeki Wachee River. It's a great place to cool off.

Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:40:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Your handle fits you. You ever look at a map or are you simply geographically challenged.
I can be across Gandy in 20 minutes, that is St Pete. I can be at the airport easily in 15 minutes and 15 more minutes west on the Courtney crumble puts me in Clwtr. Let me guess, you live in Valrico? HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa
View Quote
Hey  nowgrn4:

HaHaHaHaHaHa, you’re funny.
Sure, you can get to the Gandy Bridge around the USMC reserve station from Bay To Bay and Dale Mabry in less than 20, and across the bridge in about 5 min., but that will only get you to the outskirts of Pinellas Park. Unless you are going to hang out on the west side of Gandy on the beach area and let the dogs have fun, to St. Pete beach proper, it is at least another 20 to 30 min. depending on traffic.

As for going to Clearwater, getting to the Causeway from anywhere south of Plant High from Dale Mabry will take 15 to 30, whether you go Kennedy, or 275, or Boy Scout (or the back way on W Shore) to get to the Causeway, unless you are talking about going at 4 am. As with the Gandy and St. Pete, just crossing the Causeway is not Clearwater beach. It will take at least 20 to 30 min. after you cross the Causeway to get to the beach, unless you start out early, like 7 am (or have you conveniently forgotten about all the traffic lights on Gulf To Bay). If you think you will get to Clearwater beach in less that 45 min. on a weekend, unless you start out early, you are delusional, or as you put it “geographically challenged”. You could spend 10 to 30 min just on the CMC (Clearwater Memorial Causeway) before getting to the POS round-a-bout.
Valrico, oh that is another cluster f!&k of wonderfulness of traffic fun. That can be 1 ½ hours to get to Clearwater.
I live in the real world, not LaLa land with unicorns farts and magic cars that can go from one place to another faster than normal cars.

I have been in Florida, on and off, most of my life. My best friend at the time and I, every now and again, use to ride our bikes from T&C to Britton Plasa (you should know where that is Mr. Smarty Pants), and on a regular basis would ride to Tampa Bay Mall, which was located where The Bucs training camp currently is, if you didn’t know. How about a little more history for you; back in the day there was no north bound paved Sheldon Rd. passed Waters Ave., and Waters, until you got to Dale Mabry, use to be only a 2 lane road and ended at Sheldon. The Police Pistol range use to be off W Hillsborough Ave. (which also use to be only 2 lanes in that area) around where the Target is before you get to Countryway. Pistol Range Rd is still there but the range is long gone. Anything passed 301 on 60 (think Brandon) was still out in the sticks, and The Dallas Bull use to be a real country bar and use to be just north of I-4 on 301. Plant city was all farms and cows, not like today, and Clearwater beach used to be a place where local area people would go, before all the mom and pop 2 story motels got bought up and torn down to put up all the obnoxious multi-stories and touristy places. Yes, it has been great for tourism but like many things, it came at a price.
I could go on, but hopefully you get the point that I know of what I speak and not just going to blow sunshine up someone’s ass.

The Tampa Bay area has a lot to offer, but easily traversing the roadways at "normal" hours of the day is not one of them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hey  nowgrn4:

HaHaHaHaHaHa, you’re funny.
Sure, you can get to the Gandy Bridge around the USMC reserve station from Bay To Bay and Dale Mabry in less than 20, and across the bridge in about 5 min., but that will only get you to the outskirts of Pinellas Park. Unless you are going to hang out on the west side of Gandy on the beach area and let the dogs have fun, to St. Pete beach proper, it is at least another 20 to 30 min. depending on traffic.

As for going to Clearwater, getting to the Causeway from anywhere south of Plant High from Dale Mabry will take 15 to 30, whether you go Kennedy, or 275, or Boy Scout (or the back way on W Shore) to get to the Causeway, unless you are talking about going at 4 am. As with the Gandy and St. Pete, just crossing the Causeway is not Clearwater beach. It will take at least 20 to 30 min. after you cross the Causeway to get to the beach, unless you start out early, like 7 am (or have you conveniently forgotten about all the traffic lights on Gulf To Bay). If you think you will get to Clearwater beach in less that 45 min. on a weekend, unless you start out early, you are delusional, or as you put it “geographically challenged”. You could spend 10 to 30 min just on the CMC (Clearwater Memorial Causeway) before getting to the POS round-a-bout.
Valrico, oh that is another cluster f!&k of wonderfulness of traffic fun. That can be 1 ½ hours to get to Clearwater.
I live in the real world, not LaLa land with unicorns farts and magic cars that can go from one place to another faster than normal cars.

I have been in Florida, on and off, most of my life. My best friend at the time and I, every now and again, use to ride our bikes from T&C to Britton Plasa (you should know where that is Mr. Smarty Pants), and on a regular basis would ride to Tampa Bay Mall, which was located where The Bucs training camp currently is, if you didn’t know. How about a little more history for you; back in the day there was no north bound paved Sheldon Rd. passed Waters Ave., and Waters, until you got to Dale Mabry, use to be only a 2 lane road and ended at Sheldon. The Police Pistol range use to be off W Hillsborough Ave. (which also use to be only 2 lanes in that area) around where the Target is before you get to Countryway. Pistol Range Rd is still there but the range is long gone. Anything passed 301 on 60 (think Brandon) was still out in the sticks, and The Dallas Bull use to be a real country bar and use to be just north of I-4 on 301. Plant city was all farms and cows, not like today, and Clearwater beach used to be a place where local area people would go, before all the mom and pop 2 story motels got bought up and torn down to put up all the obnoxious multi-stories and touristy places. Yes, it has been great for tourism but like many things, it came at a price.
I could go on, but hopefully you get the point that I know of what I speak and not just going to blow sunshine up someone’s ass.

The Tampa Bay area has a lot to offer, but easily traversing the roadways at "normal" hours of the day is not one of them.
View Quote
WTF? The west end of Gandy is not PP, it's St Pete. I never mentioned Clwtr beach. Just Clwtr, you know half way over CCC.

Jeeez
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Are we done with the purse swinging?  

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the SS American Victory right next to the Florida Aquarium.

Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Tampa?  stripper & meth
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I grew up there, left when I went in the army. The best thing to do in Tampa? Spend time away from Tampa at the beaches- Indian Rocks. Indian Shores, Madeira. too many uptight people in Tampa for me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Go have dinner at El Puerto in Ybor.

Wrights Deli on Dale Mabry is great.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Go shoot at the Wyoming antelope club.

Not the public line, some of the many action run and gun shoots they do all week.

Or hit the WAC on the weekends and shoot that .22 gallery range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top