Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2022 1:22:31 PM EDT
can you purchase a handgun as a gift for someone who has a permit
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#1]
What I've done in the past is just paid for it, showed up to the store and surprise the person. They just fill out the paperwork and it's theirs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What I've done in the past is just paid for it, showed up to the store and surprise the person. They just fill out the paperwork and it's theirs.
View Quote
Let me know when/where you want to surprise me. I'll even leave work early
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
can you purchase a handgun as a gift for someone who has a permit
View Quote

Yes, but tread very carefully else it may be seen or viewed as a "straw purchase". See page 4 of the ATF 4473 form (Instructions for Question 21.a) which explains generally what is legal and what isn't for gifting a firearm.
https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download#page=4

Basically the person cannot be a prohibited person (they must have valid pistol permit or valid pistol eligibility certificate), and the other person isn't giving you anything of value in exchange for the handgun "gift".
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, but tread very carefully else it may be seen or viewed as a "straw purchase". See page 4 of the ATF 4473 form (Instructions for Question 21.a) which explains generally what is legal and what isn't for gifting a firearm.
https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download#page=4

Basically the person cannot be a prohibited person (they must have valid pistol permit or valid pistol eligibility certificate), and the other person isn't giving you anything of value in exchange for the handgun "gift".
View Quote

Even if both persons have a permit it can get shitty if those in power want it to!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top