Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2021 9:32:06 AM EDT
thinking about a road trip from West Cobb to like Savanah, then down to Key West. Coming back I'd think it would be cool to camp and stay in the swamps of FL and GA on the way back up.

My wife is deathly afraid of snakes, and I imagine there's a good number of them out this way. Is it worth it to do something different from my usual carry (1911 or sig 365xl) besides putting a round of shot first?

Or is this like the one reason to own a Judge?
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I would advise against shooting snakes in the Okefenokee, it's where they live. Leave them alone, you don't need to shoot them. If your wife is that afraid of them perhaps that isn't a place you should camp?
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would advise against shooting snakes in the Okefenokee, it's where they live. Leave them alone, you don't need to shoot them. If your wife is that afraid of them perhaps that isn't a place you should camp?
View Quote

This.  

Most of Okefenokee is a National Wildlife Refuge and wilderness area.
The only thing I hate more than snakes is jail.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Completely agree with the above posts, and I'll add that it is illegal to kill non-venomous snakes in Georgia. I'll bet neither you nor your wife can tell the difference between a water moccasin and a water snake. Don't kill snakes, especially when you're in their habitat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, what they said.  The only exception in my book is the one where Mr. Fangs has encroached into your or a loved one's, personal bubble and trying to evacuate yourself may trigger a bite.  This has only happens one time in my life when a friend and I were walking down a trail and he stepped right next to a giant western diamondback who was not happy.  He couldn't move without risking a bite and the snake refused to leave first so I had to dispatch that snake.  Kind of a one in a million type of situation.  

Oh, and there's NEVER a good reason to buy a Judge.  Any revolver from .22LR to .44 magnum loaded with snake/rat shot will easily do the job if the snake is inside your bubble.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing less than .45-70 due to that being Skunk Ape habitat.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yup, what they said.  The only exception in my book is the one where Mr. Fangs has encroached into your or a loved one's, personal bubble and trying to evacuate yourself may trigger a bite.  This has only happens one time in my life when a friend and I were walking down a trail and he stepped right next to a giant western diamondback who was not happy.  He couldn't move without risking a bite and the snake refused to leave first so I had to dispatch that snake.  Kind of a one in a million type of situation.  

Oh, and there's NEVER a good reason to buy a Judge.  Any revolver from .22LR to .44 magnum loaded with snake/rat shot will easily do the job if the snake is inside your bubble.
View Quote

Quoted:
Nothing less than .45-70 due to that being Skunk Ape habitat.
View Quote

thanks all. I had no intention of shooting random snakes that don't need to be shot, certainly. I also have young kids who don't yet understand the difference between good wiggle worms and nope ropes, but I wanted to be ready either way.

Part of the reason I want to visit is to break out some night vision and hunt the squatch.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd definitely want to be armed too.  If you find a bigfeets you'll be so rich the snakes will have to ask permission to bite you so there's that.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2021 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
You only need to be worried about 2 legged animals. Plan accordingly.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top