Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2022 5:13:19 PM EDT
I just saw on WGN in Chicago that J.B. the Hutt just signed a bill into law banning so called ghost guns. They want want anybody with a gun that has no serial number to put a serial number on it and register it. What do they mean by register the gun Illinois has no registration law that I know off.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You guys can send them to me in Virginia if you dont want to get in trouble
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
It doesn’t affect pre’68 guns thankfully. My understanding of this law is that if you have a. 80% receiver or a complete gun based on a 80% that doesn’t have a s/n it’s contraband unless you have a dealer/manufacturer put one on for you and book it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It doesn’t affect pre’68 guns thankfully. My understanding of this law is that if you have a. 80% receiver or a complete gun based on a 80% that doesn’t have a s/n it’s contraband unless you have a dealer/manufacturer put one on for you and book it.
View Quote

Has anyone got a true bead on this regarding pre 68 guns?  Does the law specifically exempt them?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Sadly I cannot register my ghost guns due to an unfortunate boating accident.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#5]
This topic is having a lot less discussion that I would have expected.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes considering all of the “ghost guns” that they claim to have been reported.  One could be led to believe that literally everyone has one or two or….
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Tested all of mine.

They passed.  Could not pass through a wall, like Casper.  

No Ghosts.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Has anyone got a true bead on this regarding pre 68 guns?  Does the law specifically exempt them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(h) Exceptions. This Section does not apply to an
unserialized unfinished frame or receiver or an unserialized
firearm that:
       (1) has been rendered permanently inoperable;
       (2) is an antique firearm, as defined in 18 U.S.C.
   921(a)(16);
       (3) was manufactured prior to October 22, 1968;

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=102-0889
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

It moved quickly so a lot of people might not know about it.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The IL forum has been kind of dead lately, I just figured that a good chunk of the last 20 years straight of negative population growth in IL was avid conservative gun owners pulling up stakes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The IL forum has been kind of dead lately, I just figured that a good chunk of the last 20 years straight of negative population growth in IL was avid conservative gun owners pulling up stakes.
View Quote

Agree that this sub is increasingly less active.

Also, I bet those who own are smart enough to not post. I'm willing to post because I don't own any 80% stuff.

I'm also willing to state that I hope people 100% not comply. This falls under the 'obey just laws' clause in the 'moral human' contract we have with each other. And just like when the British burned its subjects for reading the Bible to their kids at home, this paper signed by Pigster fails the test to execute the clause.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I left last year, and brought my 'ghost guns' with me. :)

I suspect gun owners are actually over-represented in the negative population growth numbers; we had some of the best incentives to flee the scene, as it were.

Larry
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I am still trying to figure out if this applies to an AR-15 upper.  The law could be interpreted that way, which means it will be.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Does this apply to parts that are still at 80%? Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am still trying to figure out if this applies to an AR-15 upper.  The law could be interpreted that way, which means it will be.
View Quote

No, it applies to whatever part the ATF says is the firearm. In the case of AR style rifles, that is the lower.

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Just for curiosities sake, I asked an FFL/gunsmith about them saying "an authorized FFL or, manufacture to mark guns with a serial #.
To his knowledge only BATF gives out serial #s to manufactures. FFLs don't serialize guns. So, he doesn't know how people would be able to comply anyway.
How would you send one to a manufacture and, which ones will do it? They have to log in a serial # upon receiving a firearm. I'm sure they would want to be involved in this mess. It's a non-starter from the beginning. Any lawsuits filed yet?
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Any lawsuits filed yet?
View Quote

This thing is written so goofy I'm not even sure what to challenge.  It won't be enforceable as written...they might try to "fix" it in rules but for now, I'm not getting excited about the whole mess.  I'm not even sure what exactly they are trying to accomplish.  The ISRA must have been having a bad writing day!  
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:Any lawsuits filed yet?
View Quote

People who were involved in drafting this legislation definitely did not have their thinking caps on when they wrote it.

I would think we would have to wait on a finalized set of rules published by JCAR before a lawsuit can be filed.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#19]
How does the NY ruling play into this now?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top