Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2019 3:41:06 PM EDT
was down south by deming the other day and decicided to visit the black mountain national guard shooting range.

got to the other side of the railroad tracks only to find a tightly locked gate and heavy chain.

now it has been quite a while since I went out there so I have no idea why access to that beautiful place is denied.

anybody have a clue as to what happened and why?

also wonder why the range at centennial park is the same way.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
was down south by deming the other day and decicided to visit the black mountain national guard shooting range.

got to the other side of the railroad tracks only to find a tightly locked gate and heavy chain.

now it has been quite a while since I went out there so I have no idea why access to that beautiful place is denied.

anybody have a clue as to what happened and why?

also wonder why the range at centennial park is the same way.
View Quote
Contact the base commander’s office?   Can you find out who “owns” the land?   I’ve never seen land set aside for national guard, in terms of large swaths and not just a command post or area of another base, so I have no idea.

If you need to know ownership or restrictions shoot me a PM with lat and long or section, township and range.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It is located on State land, and is leased to a sheep rancher... no lie!

He kept raising a ruckus about people destroying property and such. Finally took the issue to court, and won the right to fence the land off. So that is why it is no longer accessible.
It is quite a soap opera...
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks DOGDRIVER.

it HAS been a while since I was down that way (I live in Santa Clara).

that was some pretty country to enjoy while driving to the shooting range.

that outbuilding by the corrals looked like a piece of swiss cheese from all the bullet holes.

it seems like the same group of idiots screw it up for the rest of us.

said idiots just move on to another place and do it again.

still enjoy driving the Cook's Peak loop though...
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is located on State land, and is leased to a sheep rancher... no lie!

He kept raising a ruckus about people destroying property and such. Finally took the issue to court, and won the right to fence the land off. So that is why it is no longer accessible.
It is quite a soap opera...
View Quote
Who owns it?  I forgot to go look.   Never heard of public land being allowed to deny access.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Who owns it?  I forgot to go look.   Never heard of public land being allowed to deny access.
View Quote
The National Guard Range is on State Land. but you have to travel through the sheep guys land to get to it.
The range has actually been closed for 5 or so years. And closed to the public.

The rancher took the issue of blocking access to the State Land to court, since his land surrounds it. He won the lawsuit and put up the fence.

Technically, I guess you could still use the State land, but you'd have to helicopter in!
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
thanks DOGDRIVER.

it HAS been a while since I was down that way (I live in Santa Clara).

that was some pretty country to enjoy while driving to the shooting range.

that outbuilding by the corrals looked like a piece of swiss cheese from all the bullet holes.

it seems like the same group of idiots screw it up for the rest of us.

said idiots just move on to another place and do it again.

still enjoy driving the Cook's Peak loop though...
View Quote
No problem.
The road had gotten very bad anyway.

The Cooke's loop is better!
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The National Guard Range is on State Land. but you have to travel through the sheep guys land to get to it.

The rancher took the issue of blocking access to the State Land to court, since his land surrounds it. He won the lawsuit and put up the fence.

Technically, I guess you could still use the State land, but you'd have to helicopter in!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh, my understanding is you cannot block off access to state or fed land, like huge no no.  Sounds like it may be closed to the public and I’d bet that’s why.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top