Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2021 9:23:28 AM EDT
Still being new to Mo  I have no idea how it works. I got my DL and licensed my car July last year.
How I know when to pay
How much of pay. When does my sticker expire?
Really at a lose right now
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Still being new to Mo  I have no idea how it works. I got my DL and licensed my car July last year.
How I know when to pay
How much of pay. When does my sticker expire?
Really at a lose right now
View Quote

You should have gotten a letter in the mail from the county assessor already this year asking for you to update your cars, boats, motorcycles, trailers, etc.  You list the VIN numbers for anything you owned on January 1, 2021.  In October or November, you'll get a bill for those.  Depending on what county you are in, you can probably log in and see what they have on file.  If you sell that vehicle by Dec 31, then next year you just line through that VIN and it's somebody else's problem.  Keep in mind the county assessor and the state DOR don't always share info about vehicle sales.....you're on the hook for all the paperwork.

As far as your registration sticker/tag, look at the plate for when it expires.  There are 1 and 2 yr stickers, but it depends on when the safety & emissions checks are due (i.e. if they are next year, then you can't get a 2yr sticker.)  When you go to renew, you'll have to prove you paid personal property tax.  Since you haven't been in the state long enough to pay, you'll need to get a "certificate of no tax due" from your county assessor, or most offices can pull that from the assessors website.  For as cheap as they are, license plates are a pain in the @$$ in this state!!!

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The form they use to assess value is sent out early in the year, and you pay tax on any personal property that you owned on January 1. You should have already gotten the form in the mail, and sent it in.

How I know when to pay
The bill they send (usually in December) will have a due date on it.

How much of pay.
https://stc.mo.gov/information/how-property-tax-bills-are-calculated/

https://stc.mo.gov/frequently-asked-questions/

When does my sticker expire?
Look at your license plate, and you'll see the month it expires. Look at the sticker in the middle, and you'll see what year it expires.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's an example, though the sticker is in a different spot.

The plate tells you that it expires in July, and the sticker tells you that it expired in 1997.

DeLorean posted while I was typing.  I didn't dupe on purpose.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I called he assessors office. The bill was mailed in November. Not getting mail is pretty normal.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I called he assessors office. The bill was mailed in November. Not getting mail is pretty normal.
View Quote

I never get mine either. Enjoy arguing over the fine they give you for not paying although you never got it. I went yesterday and the fucking collectors office was already closed at 2 pm
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you registered it for the first time in July 2020, that vehicle was not owned by you in the state of MO on Jan 1, 2020.  Therefore you don't owe anything on it for 2020.

You will owe taxes on it on 2021.............even if you sell or total it on Jan 2 (personal property tax is not prorated by the day like real estate taxes.)
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I never get mine either. Enjoy arguing over the fine they give you for not paying although you never got it. I went yesterday and the fucking collectors office was already closed at 2 pm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update. Went again today. Same thing. Gave the assessment side an earful. Mind you, minimum of 10 people sitting in the back fucking off. Went to the Annex and was in and out. They wouldn't waive my late fees either, even though I was unemployed due to the lockdowns last year. They gave no fucks. Fucking assholes.

This was in Clay County.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Update. Went again today. Same thing. Gave the assessment side an earful. Mind you, minimum of 10 people sitting in the back fucking off. Went to the Annex and was in and out. They wouldn't waive my late fees either, even though I was unemployed due to the lockdowns last year. They gave no fucks. Fucking assholes.

This was in Clay County.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was in Clay County.

The annex is the only one I will go to.

Clay county jacked my assessments up this year A LOT. I am filing an appeal.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was in Clay County.

Clay never mailed me anything and I have to go in as well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:53:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was in Clay County.

I went yesterday and the line was about 15 people deep. No line today. About the same time. I usually have good luck there, I hear a lot of bad stuff about it too. ymmv. No line either day on Liberty, but as you saw the collector side was closed.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I called my county and asked if they wanted to buy my house, since they said the value went up so much this year!
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:07:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I called my county and asked if they wanted to buy my house, since they said the value went up so much this year!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I would sell the assessor my house at what they value it at now. Ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Educate you on personal property tax?
Simple, it's theft.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#16]
A lot of people on the east side of the state used to register cars, trailers, boats, etc with family or friends in IL.  But now that IL has gotten so crazy on registration, it's cheaper to pay the tax in MO (which can be tax deductible.)  Our registration and title fees are nothing compared to other states.  The titling process can be a PIA, but a $52 permanent plate plus $8 a year in personal property tax, is a lot better than $120/yr in IL on a dinky little utility trailer.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That doesn't sound too bad, right now I am paying:

2018 RAV4 $375 yr
2019 Tacoma $460 yr
2021 Travel Trailer $500 yr

for licensing, taxes and fees
View Quote

That's usually how it is; if they don't collect it one way, they'll get it somewhere else. Western Illinois people like to buy gas in St. Louis, because Illinois fuel tax is higher.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's usually how it is; if they don't collect it one way, they'll get it somewhere else. Western Illinois people like to buy gas in St. Louis, because Illinois fuel tax is higher.
View Quote

That's a Fact. I lived in Illinois 60+ years an hardly ever bought gas there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#20]
When we moved to Missouri the license plates for two vehicles, a 10' enclosed trailer and boat trailer came to $160. One car plate in Ill-noise, where we moved from was $150...they just upped that fee and it will cost you $200 for a license plate in Ill-noise now!
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Educate you on personal property tax?
Simple, it's theft.
View Quote

Damn right it is.   This man knows what’s what.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#22]
It's the penalty you pay for owning something.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:35:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
wow, it seems like they tax everything.

Is it really that bad?

I lived in the St Louis area while attending a college in the mid 90's, I worked for an auto parts store so I was familiar with the car inspections and with city/county income taxes but since I was a student my car was registered in Oregon which was my home of record at the time.

so I read through the link provided above, is it really as bad as it seems?

I know the cost of living in central MO would be less than where I am in CO, but the taxes could potentially make that a moot issue.
View Quote

I love MO and grew up here. But having moved back recently, I now realize it's going the wrong way. Sales taxes hovering around 10%, income taxes above 5%, effective property taxes seem to be around 1-2%. Food prices are middling. Home prices are outrageous. Wages are bad and technical jobs are few. Honestly, if my family were not here I would not stay. My effective pay is significantly lower than it was in TX, GA, SC, and NC.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I agree the sales taxes are ridiculous in some places.

My little rinky dink town is 7.875%

Plus the CID districts like Bass Pro is in Springfield. It's damn near 10%

It's not as bad as Texas or the 10% I paid in a rinky dink town out on the Kansas prairie, but Texas doesn't have an income tax either!

I honestly don't think Missouri's property taxes are that bad. I agree they shouldn't exist, but they are nowhere near what folks on the coasts pay. Some homes are $20,000 a year!

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I agree the sales taxes are ridiculous in some places.

My little rinky dink town is 7.875%

Plus the CID districts like Bass Pro is in Springfield. It's damn near 10%

It's not as bad as Texas or the 10% I paid in a rinky dink town out on the Kansas prairie, but Texas doesn't have an income tax either!

I honestly don't think Missouri's property taxes are that bad. I agree they shouldn't exist, but they are nowhere near what folks on the coasts pay. Some homes are $20,000 a year!

View Quote

Property tax in Texas hovered around 3% where I lived. Definitely nutters. But I could also buy beachfront condos for the same price as a 3bd home on 6 acres in Jefferson County. So actual tax bill wasn't very different, and you had the gulf in your backyard.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I always tell the clerks that I am here to pay my annual extortion bill when I pay property taxes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I always tell the clerks that I am here to pay my annual extortion bill when I pay property taxes.
View Quote

Sweet!
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always say I'm going to pay on change.  Haven't yet, but I get closer every year.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's the penalty you pay for owning something.
View Quote

If the state is charging you rent on it, you don't actually own it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If the state is charging you rent on it, you don't actually own it.
View Quote

Most excellent ColleenTheDestroyer...hit the nail on the head! And just to add insult to injury I will never understand how this country got to the point where even when you pay your house off...miss some property tax bills, you lose your house. 'The American Dream?' Don't think so...not anymore.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Update on my Missouri personal extortion.

$276 Tax in car
$27 for license plate sticker.
$303 total.

I am from Illinois and we have no such nonsense extortions.
$151 for a license plate renewal
So for the privilege of living in Missouri
I am paying $152 more. Damn
I know sales  and house taxes are much cheaper but DAMN

And no I am not going back to Illinois. Saving my $$ and going to buy some land near Bennett Springs and put a mobile home on it
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#32]
You probably saved that much on gas though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

And that makes paying rent to the state on things you think you own all OK doesn't it?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And that makes paying rent to the state on things you think you own all OK doesn't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're trying to justify one tax as being better than another tax?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gotta agree with 'ColleenTheDestroyer' on this one. We already pay the sales/licensing/processing taxes/fees on these items when we initially purchase them. Don't need to add 'permission to use' fees also!

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#36]
But how is that better than a user fee on the fuel that makes the car run? That's like saying that it's wrong to tax a pen, but taxing ink is okay.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
But how is that better than a user fee on the fuel that makes the car run? That's like saying that it's wrong to tax a pen, but taxing ink is okay.
View Quote

I will never agree on ANY overtaxation no matter what the government attaches it to. Illinois gas is about 55 cents and on up a gallon more than Missouri's gasoline, depending on where you live. And their property tax and licensing fees are outrageous; they are the Midwest's California.

BUT nonetheless even Ill-noise does not specifically tax an item each year that you have paid for and licensed. That is the rub and the point of my conversation.

I strongly believe Missouri needs to end the personal property tax. The problem lies in the fact that they will collect the needed revenue elsewhere. But maybe, just maybe, it will be an opportunity for Missouri citizens to take a long hard look at what government services are really necessary and the needed funding. It would be a strenuous, at best, revamping process for Missouri.

The other side of the coin is that a Missouri citizen has some degree of control over the personal property tax by what he or she purchases. But that positive side can quickly go away once Missouri starts upping taxation on licensing, property tax, fees, etc. Then the personal property tax becomes an extra burden on tax payers.

I still say, eliminate it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I agree with a lot of what you said, but not with just ending it. That gives no thought to the replacement, and I sincerely doubt that anything they come up with would be cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#39]
States are going to get their money one way or another. I know in some states, they do not have personal property tax, but you pay a whole lot more each and every time you renew your plates. They get you one way or the other.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top