Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2022 5:49:38 PM EDT
gonna make it soon, any recipes out of this world someone wants to share?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't consider it out of this world but glancing at a couple of recipes online, this is basically what mine looks like if I'm making if from scratch.  Most of the time if I'm making it I'm using leftover roasted chicken and don't make but a cup (uncooked) of rice as I'm not making that many servings.  I use venison sausage if I have any and use fresh ground pepper.  

https://southernfoodjunkie.com/chicken-bog-a-traditional-south-carolina-dish/
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
venison sausage sounds awesome. I have some ground venison left.  

I made two different recipes before and it never came out like others Ive tried.  will check this one out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't consider it out of this world but glancing at a couple of recipes online, this is basically what mine looks like if I'm making if from scratch.  Most of the time if I'm making it I'm using leftover roasted chicken and don't make but a cup (uncooked) of rice as I'm not making that many servings.  I use venison sausage if I have any and use fresh ground pepper.  

https://southernfoodjunkie.com/chicken-bog-a-traditional-south-carolina-dish/
View Quote

Article has one major failing.

Perlo/Pilau are not the same as chicken bog and the terms are not interchangeable.

I grew up and live in one part of the Pee Dee where chicken pilau is a thing. Every 30+ year old man I knew growing up made almost the same way, though each tasted different.

Bog is nearly the same as pilau, except the rice is mushy and sticky and close to a really thick soup some places I've had it.

I will eat both.

My own is start with salt pork, render fat. use fat to cook chicken peices with skin on, use that fat to cook pork sausage, use all that to cook  onion. debone/deskin chicken add to pot with the correct amount of rice (I like jasmin), salt, pepper and chicken stock. bring to boil, cover and reduce for an hour or two. My brother puts his in the oven on low. I leave mine on the stove top for two hours.

8+ qt dutch oven is required.

And  crowd to eat it.

serve with white bread, some kind of cabbage slaw, pickled okra/cucumbers and chow chow so everyone gets what they want.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh, I've always heard the terms used pretty much interchangeably (although it seems all you hear anymore seems to be "bog") but almost everyone I know makes it with regular rice, not mushy.  Kinda like Beaufort stew/Frogmore stew/low country boil/etc.- the basic ingredients are the same but vary in amounts and the extras.  I'll eat most of it and be happy.  

ETA- I ended up calling my mom just to get her take on it (Charleston/Mt Pleasant/low country family) and she pronounced it like Perlo and agreed with the bog having mushier rice and sometimes made without the sausage.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Chicken bog and perleau are not the same thing, but they fill the same role in the menu.

Chicken bog is an Horry County and Pee Dee thing. Everyone else makes perleau.

The texture of the rice is different. Also, chicken bog has either chicken only, or chicken and smoked/sliced sausage.

In addition to chicken, perleau might have both crumbled sausage and sliced sausage, and maybe some bacon.

Either might have some bacon fat as well.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of these boys down here make Squirrel Bog. The Chicken of the Tree!
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Not from scratch but my grandma was a tobbacco farmer in Horry and the family recipe since moved to the simpler over time and circumstances.    This is usually a very thick and sticky consistency

Rice-a-roni chicken flavor (grandma won ton of it from Bob Barker)
can cream of chicken
1lb hot pork sausage crumbled
the cheapest rotisserie chicken
wild onions
and if not enough vegetables have been eaten lately a drained can of sweet peas or mixed vegtables are tossed in

Cook the rice-a-roni as directed, cook the sausage, chop up the onions and when they are done mix everything together.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Meh, I've always heard the terms used pretty much interchangeably (although it seems all you hear anymore seems to be "bog") but almost everyone I know makes it with regular rice, not mushy.  Kinda like Beaufort stew/Frogmore stew/low country boil/etc.- the basic ingredients are the same but vary in amounts and the extras.  I'll eat most of it and be happy.  

ETA- I ended up calling my mom just to get her take on it (Charleston/Mt Pleasant/low country family) and she pronounced it like Perlo and agreed with the bog having mushier rice and sometimes made without the sausage.
View Quote

I'll bet money that most people make it with plain old blue ribbon rice. I used to too, because that's what all the men I knew cooked it with.

Always called it Frogmore. The first time I ever heard it called a low county boil, I looked at the guy like he had three heads. Lowcountry Boil is for people who hold their pinkies out when they sip their chai lattes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Never had or seen that before.  Must be more of a low country thing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Never had or seen that before.  Must be more of a low country thing.
View Quote

Not really....you weirdos upstate call it "chicken and rice"
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I think Loris is having a chicken Bog festival in October
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah. That's their big thing....besides shootings.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah. That's there big thing....besides shootings.
View Quote

why can't I thumbs up a post?
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

why can't I thumbs up a post?
View Quote

Please don't. I had to edit a grammatical error.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not really....you weirdos upstate call it "chicken and rice"
View Quote

Chicken bog and chicken n-rice is not the same thing. Not sure if that’s what your saying or not.

ETA: To the OP, don’t complicate it. Brown smoked sausage in bottom of pot. Remove sausage. That glaze from the sausage adds flavor. Decide how many cups of rice you want and add 2x water. Boil chicken. Remove chicken and debone. Bring water to a boil and add rice, chicken and sausage. Stir, salt and pepper and turn heat down as low as possible. Water barely turning over. To hot and you have to stir more often which makes mushy rice. Repeat, very low heat. Adding too much crap hides the flavor of the smoked sausage and chicken. Like when assholes toss in whole onion. All you taste is the onion.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Had some chicken bog tonight! Used some andouille sausage to spice it up a bit.
Love me some bog!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top