Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2021 5:53:31 PM EDT
Florida now honors WI ccw licenses! You no longer need to apply for, and pay for, a FL non-res license to ccw in FL as a WI resident. It's about time.

I have no idea when this change was made. My bro-in-law's sister just completed a ccw class in FL and applied for a FL license (she's a FL resident), and she noticed in her class that WI was one of the states listed as acceptable for reciprocity in FL. I looked it up, it appears to be true.

Link to official FL gov website... -> https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License/Concealed-Weapon-License-Reciprocity

"Florida has reached reciprocity agreements with the states listed below. A Florida concealed weapon license is valid in any of these states, and concealed weapon licenses issued to residents of these states are valid in Florida; exceptions are noted.  

Each state's firearm laws are different. License holders traveling in other states are subject to the firearm laws of those states. Select the links below to find information about each state's firearm laws."

Alabama (1, 3)
Alaska (1)
Arizona (5)
Arkansas (1)
Colorado (1, 4)
Delaware
Georgia (1, 3)
Idaho (3, 5)
Indiana (1, 3, 5)
Iowa (5)
Kansas (1)
Kentucky
Louisiana (1)
Maine (1, 3, 4)
Michigan (1, 4)
Mississippi (1)
Missouri (3)
Montana (3)
Nebraska (1)
New Hampshire (1, 3, 4, 5)
New Mexico (1)
North Carolina (1)
North Dakota (3, 5)
Ohio (1)
Oklahoma (1)
Pennsylvania (1, 4, 5)
South Carolina (1, 4, 5)
South Dakota (1, 3)
Tennessee (1, 3, 5)
Texas (1, 3, 5)
Utah (1, 5)
Vermont (2)
Virginia (1, 5)
West Virginia (1)
Wisconsin (6)
Wyoming (1, 3)

(Bold type is mine)
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#1]

My FL non-res arrived last week.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Appears WI only honors NON-resident permits.  Wonder what that's about and why the limitations?  They probably figured non-residents already have a permit from their HOR state.  At least my wife won't have to get her FL license.  Been putting it off for awhile now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My FL non-res arrived last week.
View Quote

That makes you legal to carry in New Mexico.

I let my FL non-res expire after I got a UT non-res, a few years back, after having 3 consecutive FL licenses.... I got the first one in 2000. The only advantage the FL had over the UT was legal carry in New Mexico, and in Florida. Now, it's just New Mexico.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Appears WI only honors NON-resident permits.  Wonder what that's about and why the limitations?  They probably figured non-residents already have a permit from their HOR state.  At least my wife won't have to get her FL license.  Been putting it off for awhile now.
View Quote

It's likely the same reason WI only honors non-resident VA licenses, and why we only honor others issued after a certain date. It has to do with how those states conduct their background checks.

Part of our ccw law states that reciprocity will only be granted to states that use NICS when conducting background checks for license issuance. VA only uses NICS on non-residents, they must use a state DOJ or equivalent for residents. Those others with the date qualifiers began using NICS on those dates. Those are the only licenses from those states that used NICS, therefore those are the only ones they've issued that meet the WI law's criteria for acceptance.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That makes you legal to carry in New Mexico.

I let my FL non-res expire after I got a UT non-res, a few years back, after having 3 consecutive FL licenses.... I got the first one in 2000. The only advantage the FL had over the UT was legal carry in New Mexico, and in Florida. Now, it's just New Mexico.
View Quote

My AZ permit already covers NM.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
How does a Non-resident FL license differ from a resident one - in appearance.  I can't see anything on mine that indicates one way or another.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How does a Non-resident FL license differ from a resident one - in appearance.  I can't see anything on mine that indicates one way or another.
View Quote

My first one (2001-2005) had my address below my name, so it was easily determined as to whether it was "res" or "non-res". Sometime since then, they stopped putting addresses on them, my last one didn't have it.... no clue why. There's probably no difference between them now, likely because it's issued by FL with the main intention it be used in FL, and they don't distinguish between residencies when using it there. If you're in FL, with a FL license, it doesn't matter much where you live.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I suppose if you ever need to produce it for one reason or another your DL will be the only thing they could go by.  I was just trying to figure out if I could get by with just 1 license - WI or FL and which one had an advantage, one way or another.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I suppose if you ever need to produce it for one reason or another your DL will be the only thing they could go by.  I was just trying to figure out if I could get by with just 1 license - WI or FL and which one had an advantage, one way or another.
View Quote

It would be a simple choice for me... if you spend considerable time in both states, regularly (what we call, up north, a "snowbird" who "flies south as soon as it snows"),  only a WI license would be good in both states if you're a WI resident.  WI only honors a WI license for WI residents, a resident of WI cannot use any other (non-res) license here. So even though WI honors non-res FL licenses, that wouldn't include you, if you're a legal resident of WI. If you're a FL resident, then WI doesn't honor your FL resident license.

A FL non-resident license is only valid here for residents of 48 other states... FL & WI residents excluded. So if you reside in FL, you cannot use a FL here, nor can you get a non-res WI. You need a non-res license from another state, one WI recognizes...like MN or UT.

My sister & bro-in-law are snowbirds, with FL (Naples) residency, summers in St Germain WI. As is his sister. Their FL licenses don't work here, they cannot get a WI license, so they're all applying for a UT. I've done all the research.

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It would be a simple choice for me... if you spend considerable time in both states, regularly (what we call, up north, a "snowbird" who "flies south as soon as it snows"),  only a WI license would be good in both states if you're a WI resident.  WI only honors a WI license for WI residents, a resident of WI cannot use any other (non-res) license here. So even though WI honors non-res FL licenses, that wouldn't include you, if you're a legal resident of WI. If you're a FL resident, then WI doesn't honor your FL resident license.

A FL non-resident license is only valid here for residents of 48 other states... FL & WI residents excluded. So if you reside in FL, you cannot use a FL here, nor can you get a non-res WI. You need a non-res license from another state, one WI recognizes...like MN or UT.

My sister & bro-in-law are snowbirds, with FL (Naples) residency, summers in St Germain WI. As is his sister. Their FL licenses don't work here, they cannot get a WI license, so they're all applying for a UT. I've done all the research.

View Quote

The system is maddening.  Why we didn't have the votes in 2016-2017 for national reciprocity is beyond me.  I think I'm up to six or eight permits because of how much I travel by car.  You're good here, but you have to disarm before passing through there.  Or somebody gets a bee in their bonnet and suddenly that state no longer recognizes this state but they'll still accept another state.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I'll just keep both.  This whole reciprocity business is a bunch of bullshit.  Should be if issued in one state, valid everywhere, end of story.  Typical political crap.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The system is maddening.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The system is maddening.

"CCW Bingo"..

Why we didn't have the votes in 2016-2017 for national reciprocity is beyond me.

One word ... filibuster.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I just heard about this bill today. There was a committee hearing on it, today. This needs to pass. It is for 100% ccw reciprocity, in which WI will honor all other states' ccw licenses held by non residents of WI.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2021/proposals/sb516
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#15]
OST
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20211019/wisconsin-senate-committee-advances-concealed-carry-reciprocity-bill

3 yea, 2 nay. No surprise here.  The 3 Repubs on the 5 member committee are co-sponsors.

Then there's 2 Dems... Lena Taylor is one of them. Record of how they voted isn't posted yet, but we already know who voted yea,  & who voted nay.

Same old story... it will pass both houses with big majorities. But the Asshat Dem Guv Nevers will veto it, and the veto override, if there even is one, will be strictly partisan... IOW, just a bit shy. There's 21 Repubs in the Senate, override needs 22 of the 33 votes... one short. There's 98 Assembly members and 61 are Repubs, but 66 votes are needed to override.... 5 short.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Bill only benefits out of state visitors, not residents, and removes leverage for DOJ to negotiate reciprocity agreements with other states that would allow WI residents to carry out of state.

Allows politicians to vote "pro-gun'" when they know it will be vetoed, when those politicians wouldn't vote pro-gun when a pro-gun bill could have passed.

Big nothing-burger, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bill only benefits out of state visitors, not residents, and removes leverage for DOJ to negotiate reciprocity agreements with other states that would allow WI residents to carry out of state.

Allows politicians to vote "pro-gun'" when they know it will be vetoed, when those politicians wouldn't vote pro-gun when a pro-gun bill could have passed.

Big nothing-burger, IMO.
View Quote

It will benefit a lot of (mostly) retired, "dual resident / snowbirds", particularly those from FL (with FL residency where their S.S. isn't taxed), that spend summers in WI. My area is full of them. Including my sister, her husband, his 2 sisters, etc. They all have FL resident licenses. It ludicrous to me that non residents of FL can have a FL license recognized here (same with those who have a non-res VA), but residents can't, simply because of the language of our ccw law which requires NICS be used in issuance. The more law-abiding people carrying legally, the better, IMO. That benefits us all. I don't care who issued their permit, and I trust their states' background check procedures, whatever they may be. Accepting any and all licenses as valid, is a step in the right direction, IMO. If all states did this, we'd have that national reciprocity, and without any fed involvement...which, IMO, would be a huge thing. Fuck the feds. "Reciprocity Bingo" would be a thing of the past. The end game is 100% constitutional carry. Having all states that still require licensing honoring all ccw licenses, regardless of state issuing it, is one step closer to that goal.  

Also, I haven't looked into this situation lately, and these things constantly change, but ... there was a list of states that will only honor states that recognize their licenses. FL was one of them. We can now carry there. No reason they shouldn't be able to carry here.

No argument on politicians being what they are (scum). It's the fact that its another pro gun bill blocked by a minority of Dems that make it a nothing-burger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top