Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 9:57:27 PM EDT
It may look safe, but maybe it's not, especially if it's not a marked trail crossing a lake. It's been a mild winter so far, most lakes aren't as frozen as they normally are in mid January.

Some one found out the hard way last night. Less than a mile from home...

https://waow.com/2021/01/20/one-person-dead-after-snowmobile-goes-through-ice/

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Open water was one of the few things that scared the hell out of me when I used to ride.

I remember a few times even avoiding the lakes I grew up on when there happened to be fog on the lake.  Too easy to get turned around and end up in a part of the lake we usually avoided.  I'd ride the extra 20 miles of trails just to go around.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It may look safe, but maybe it's not, especially if it's not a marked trail crossing a lake. It's been a mild winter so far, most lakes aren't as frozen as they normally are in mid January.

Some one found out the hard way last night. Less than a mile from home...

https://waow.com/2021/01/20/one-person-dead-after-snowmobile-goes-through-ice/

View Quote

Last year was pretty bad by this point. You ought to hear the story from the recovery guy! His tracked recovery vehicle went through on Boom Lake last year, and he had to wait for the cabin to fill up enough to open the door.

I've gone through on foot twice, so I stay off the lakes as much as possible, lol.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
There is no good ice down here anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Back when I worked in Lake Geneva, every winter some idiot(s) went into open water on Lake Como. From what my supervisor then said, theres a spot in the middle that doesnt freeze and people like to skip their sleds over it. I would say that over half of the ones that went in ended up as fatals.

Hell Prairie Du Chien had a 72 yr old woman fall through trying to rescue her dog that went through last week. FD got both out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Back when I worked in Lake Geneva, every winter some idiot(s) went into open water on Lake Como. From what my supervisor then said, theres a spot in the middle that doesnt freeze and people like to skip their sleds over it. I would say that over half of the ones that went in ended up as fatals.

Hell Prairie Du Chien had a 72 yr old woman fall through trying to rescue her dog that went through last week. FD got both out.
View Quote

There's a spot like that on the Fox chain of lakes in ILL near Antioch. It never freezes. When I lived down there, I used to ride on those lakes as an indestructible 20-something. And yup, I skipped over it more than once. At about 80 miles per hour... otherwise known as "top speed of a 1980 Yamaha 440 Exciter". I still own  pair of '80 440 Exciters..

You'd be surprised at how much water you can cross on a sled if you're moving fast enough, and don't panic and slow down. Instead, mash the throttle. Don't make sharp turns, but steer towards the closest spot that's not open water.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Last year was pretty bad by this point. You ought to hear the story from the recovery guy! His tracked recovery vehicle went through on Boom Lake last year, and he had to wait for the cabin to fill up enough to open the door.

I've gone through on foot twice, so I stay off the lakes as much as possible, lol.
View Quote

I know all about that one. My granddaughter's husband used to work at a tow outfit in Minocqua, and he knows Tom. I've sent him customers more than once myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top