Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2021 1:32:56 PM EDT
I have a stevens 311 with like 17 foot long barrels. I am thinking that shorter would be infinitely more useful since I'm already covered with skeet/hunting shotguns.

I'm curious if there's anyone around Marietta/west cobb that's able to do a decent job of cutting back to a reasonable length. Debating on 18.001" or filing the damn stamp and getting them cut down to like 8".

I have a sawzall but not sure I could make them square up, nor could I get the barrels soldiered up in the middle.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure who could help, I had a machinist friend do mine, but a shorty SxS is worth it!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure who could help, I had a machinist friend do mine, but a shorty SxS is worth it!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/211636/tempImagelLgrVK_jpg-2021553.JPG
View Quote

@Gentleman4561 that looks great! Honest question. Do you use it for anything besides range blasting? I have a 12” 870 SBS that I don’t use for much but it’s nice to have.

Was thinking a SxS would be a good travel gun. Plus I want one
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@Gentleman4561 that looks great! Honest question. Do you use it for anything besides range blasting? I have a 12" 870 SBS that I don't use for much but it's nice to have.

Was thinking a SxS would be a good travel gun. Plus I want one
View Quote
Range blasting, I have tried shooting clays (impossible) and the one time I fired some buckshot through it convinced me it wasn't a gun I wanted to use for self defense.

I think a 870 or 500 SBS is more practical, but you just can't beat a SxS for fun factor!
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a bandsaw....
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had a couple 311s cut down by Deer Creek Gun shop in Marietta.  They did a good job, blued where the barrel was cut and re soldered the bead.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Moss Firearms is where my Remington m11 is sitting waiting on a chop right now. Hes a few months behind but his work is always good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've had a couple 311s cut down by Deer Creek Gun shop in Marietta.  They did a good job, blued where the barrel was cut and re soldered the bead.
View Quote

after my grandfather died, i found an old 12 gauge, that probable came out of a hardware store in the 30s. shotgun had no value as collector or anything else. i had deer creek cut it down the the minimum lenght+1/4 inch. left the stock untouched. breaks down and fits it a small bag. fun to shoot for giggles. two triggers so i can pull both at one time. call it 'mister mule'.

what i really wanna do is find a 10 gauge magnum sxs and cut it down, make it a sort of lupara...
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
There's just something cool about a SxS shotgun.  Probably due to all the westerns I was raised on.  It's definitely why I love single actions, lever guns and the old big bore single shot rifles.  I still need a coach gun to add to my collection.

Post pics when it's done!
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

what i really wanna do is find a 10 gauge magnum sxs and cut it down, make it a sort of lupara...
View Quote

I did that.  Mercury Magnum 10ga made in Spain in the 1960/70s.  I chopped the barrels myself, drilled and tapped the solid rib for a monster brass bead sight and then squared it up on grinder.  I took it to a smith in Watkinsville to have a limb saver put on.  But I wouldn’t recommend him.  He was two months over his ETA and hit the finish of the stock with the grinder and didn’t bother telling me about.  Just acted like it didn’t happen.  

Still need to have the barrels resoldered together, but now I am debating going with a form 1 and chipping to 9-12”.

The toughest part is finding a good supply of 10ga 3 1/2” buckshot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Ship the barrels and $60 to Mike Orlene.  He does all my shotgun barrel work. I usually have them back in 2 weeks, and I've never been disappointed with the work.  Very reasonable pricing too:

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Steve-o cut it yourself, file square and blue to match. brownells has drills, taps and beads to install it yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top