Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2018 7:02:21 PM EDT
I ordered 3 of them, full, compact and subcompact, first time doing this so I decided to do the SC first (G26), contacted local sheriff (Wood county Sheriff) about carrying it without a serial #, he told me it was illegal to do so, I cannot find any law stating this, anybody else run into any issues like this?
everything I read says that Federal law states it doesnt need a serial # or be registered for that matter as I am the manufacturer,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_gun
https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/homemade-guns-are-they-legal-must-they-be-registered.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
While IANAL, My guess would be the sheriff just doesn't know.  I carry and 80% AR pistol in my buggy quite a bit, but the local LEO's rarely make it that far back in the holler.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My guess would be the sheriff just doesn't know.
View Quote
yes, that is the case cause I called my "Local ATF" in wheeling and told me I was 100% correct, by federal and state laws there is nothing stating its illegal for a citizen to make their own firearm and it DOE'S NOT have to have a serial #, the only reason he thought it would be a good idea to have something personal engraved on it that way if it was ever lost or stolen and recovered I would recognize the # but I cant see that even playing out so........... how do I go about making my local LEO's aware of the law they ALL should know in the first place?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe it is only against the law to have a weapon with an obliterated serial number.  In most states I have lived in that has been the case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top