Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2022 9:35:03 AM EDT
Let me get a few things out of the way:
Yes, I am born and raised in Upstate NY, Rottenchester to be exact.  I am an hour from Canada, and 8 hours from NYC.  I have been to NYC, and I can not understand how anyone could live like that.
Yes, I hate NY.  Not just because of the gun laws, and taxes, but because of the culture.  The nanny state bullshit has rubbed me the wrong way since I was a kid.
Yes, I am getting out of NY, and I am leaving every aspect of the "NY Mindset" far, far behind.  Have no fears about me polluting your WY politics with NY bullshit.  That's exactly what I want to get away from, I will not bring it along with me.

SO.... with that all being said, what the hell is up with Chayanne?
I started looking for a place to move to, and WY seemed like a nice "you leave me alone, we leave you alone" state.  Narrowing it down because of likely places to get a job, I started looking harder at Cheyanne.  
Pull up the crime stats, and such, and holy crap.  By the numbers Cheyanne is a crime ridden hell hole, worse than the ghetto I grew up in.
Is that just an effect of the small population?  62k for Cheyanne vr. 200K for Rochester, or has crime really spiked that badly everywhere?
Was I mistaken in my thoughts of "big city" Wyoming being different than "small city" New York?

I know weather is a concern for a lot of people, but I figure if I can deal with lake effect snow dumping 3' in a couple of days, bucking the wind won't be that much of an issue.  How brutal is the winters?  How often does the wind completely screw up a planned day shooting?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#1]
One of a few undesirable locations within the state.  Every state has em.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, that's not encouraging  How bad are the roads during the winter?  Anything near there that's worth a shit, and within a reasonable drive?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
*Cheyenne
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
*Cheyenne
View Quote
Noted, and corrected.  My NY was showing
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#6]
It sucks. Colorado north.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Western New Yorker. Moved from Colorado. I own a house in Cheyenne.
Yes it's more part of the front range, but I enjoy it. It could be better, but having lived in Denver for a long time, it's not nearly as bad.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
See, that's where I'm torn.  I'm an industrial guy, it's what I know and do.  I don't think there would be a lot of work for me way out in the sticks (where I'd really like to be), but I really don't want to trade one shit hole for another.  Though, a free shit hole in Wyoming beats a NY shit hole any day, so....
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
See, that's where I'm torn.  I'm an industrial guy, it's what I know and do.  I don't think there would be a lot of work for me way out in the sticks (where I'd really like to be), but I really don't want to trade one shit hole for another.  Though, a free shit hole in Wyoming beats a NY shit hole any day, so....
View Quote

Cheyenne is far from being a shithole. At least from my perspective. There's a few other decent sized towns you could look at.
We been here a year now,, and wife is already saying she wants to move to some land outside ish of town.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cheyenne is far from being a shithole. At least from my perspective. There's a few other decent sized towns you could look at.
We been here a year now,, and wife is already saying she wants to move to some land outside ish of town.
View Quote
What towns would those be?  Or, what are the better areas of Cheyenne, or at least not complete dumpster fires?
I don't mind a drive into work, hell, I'm driving 45 min each way as it is in NY.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What towns would those be?  Or, what are the better areas of Cheyenne, or at least not complete dumpster fires?
I don't mind a drive into work, hell, I'm driving 45 min each way as it is in NY.
View Quote

The only towns of any size, Laramie and Casper .
I live in sun valley and it's fine to me. That the area north of the Walmart on 80. The south side (south of the UP tracks) is kind of a dumpster fire and apparently the "Avenues" is getting bad, but that's the higher end neighborhood, so I'm not sure if its real or Karens. Its a pretty blue collar town and not like there's no go zones. 45 minutes outside Cheyenne gets you to almost to Laramie, Nebraska and wellington, co.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#12]
When I said CO North and that it sucked (and it does) that is because it is modern America that is creeping in. Strip malls and all the shiny stores. With that comes Karens and Coloradans (see above...and I actually know and like that guy). As a New Yorker I think you would look at Cheyenne as a village and despise the local (WY not Cheyenne) culture. I don't say this to be insulting I say it because I have seen it over and over w east coasters. You WILL have a culture shock.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:50:33 AM EDT
[#13]
If I were you, I'd look at Casper or Sheridan.  What kind of work do you do specifically?  I might be able to make an introduction.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I said CO North and that it sucked (and it does) that is because it is modern America that is creeping in. Strip malls and all the shiny stores. With that comes Karens and Coloradans (see above...and I actually know and like that guy). As a New Yorker I think you would look at Cheyenne as a village and despise the local (WY not Cheyenne) culture. I don't say this to be insulting I say it because I have seen it over and over w east coasters. You WILL have a culture shock.
View Quote

Yes, culture shock is right. For us it was a good thing. I think it's great most places are closed on Sunday up here.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Well, I get culture shock going into Rochester now.  I grew up there, saw what "NY Culture" created, and hated it.  As soon as I could, I moved as far out into the sticks, about an hour from Rochester as I could afford to, and I enjoy it.  The nearest Walmart is 40 minutes away, and I don't shop there anyway, so no issues for me.  I shop at the local Ace Hardware because I like small places, and I avoid Lowes and Home Depot like the plague.  Most places are open for a little while on Sunday, but I tend to do my shopping on Friday or Saturday, so the town shutting down on Sunday is not a problem for me :)  I want small.  If I thought I could find a decent job that I could be good at in a town with 10k people, I'd jump on it.
My mindset is very much "You leave me alone, I leave you alone, everything works out fine", which from what I understand is typical in WY.  I don't care what color someone paints their house, it's their damn house, they can do as they please.  I am anti-HOA, mandate, etc.

Quoted:If I were you, I'd look at Casper or Sheridan.  What kind of work do you do specifically?  I might be able to make an introduction.

I will look into both of them.  I currently work in a medium sized machine shop, and have for the last 15+ years.  We do a lot of milspec stuff, and I do the assembly, and fill in at the machines as needed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well, I get culture shock going into Rochester now.  I grew up there, saw what "NY Culture" created, and hated it.  As soon as I could, I moved as far out into the sticks, about an hour from Rochester as I could afford to, and I enjoy it.  The nearest Walmart is 40 minutes away, and I don't shop there anyway, so no issues for me.  I shop at the local Ace Hardware because I like small places, and I avoid Lowes and Home Depot like the plague.  Most places are open for a little while on Sunday, but I tend to do my shopping on Friday or Saturday, so the town shutting down on Sunday is not a problem for me :)  I want small.  If I thought I could find a decent job that I could be good at in a town with 10k people, I'd jump on it.
My mindset is very much "You leave me alone, I leave you alone, everything works out fine", which from what I understand is typical in WY.  I don't care what color someone paints their house, it's their damn house, they can do as they please.  I am anti-HOA, mandate, etc.

I will look into both of them.  I currently work in a medium sized machine shop, and have for the last 15+ years.  We do a lot of milspec stuff, and I do the assembly, and fill in at the machines as needed.
View Quote

Give ThunderBeast a call, and see what job opportunities they may have.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Weatherby.  KSHR.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you, I'll check into those.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 1:24:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you do?  The railroad and the state pen in Rawlins are hiring.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 1:24:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I've only cruised around there once.  It didn't seem so bad to me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What do you do?  The railroad and the state pen in Rawlins are hiring.
View Quote
I currently work in a machine shop.  I'm a big guy, but almost 50, so working in a prison doesn't sound like that grand an idea  I'll check into the railroad, see if it might be a fit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I currently work in a machine shop.  I'm a big guy, but almost 50, so working in a prison doesn't sound like that grand an idea  I'll check into the railroad, see if it might be a fit.
View Quote

Actually you'd probably fit right in.  I actually work at the prison and I'm 55 this month.  I went through the academy at 53.  I was a CO then
switched over to vocational instruction.  It's a very soft prison.  You'd do fine.  We need people badly in maintenance too.  
You can write your own check in either security or maintenance.  Solid bennies.  The Railroad that's hiring is Union Pacific.  

I saw you were in Rochester.  Did you ever work for Davenport Machines?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I never worked AT Davenport, but I have worked with a few.  I do know a guy who used to work there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I never worked AT Davenport, but I have worked with a few.  I do know a guy who used to work there.
View Quote

Heh.  Small world.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top