Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2020 4:16:33 PM EDT
That CMMA (unlimited health care coverage) that was changed last year has left a lot of people wide open to getting sued to oblivion. Call or stop by your agent and ask about umbrella coverage (I am not an insurance agent of any kind).
Attended a dinner/financial seminar yesterday and the guy veered off into the insurance law change just to warn us about that change and the exposure most will now face. Everyone was bitching about the high cost and how the CMMA was so expensive so the legislature changed it.
So it was changed, but now you're at higher risk of a lawsuit for an accident with an injury. I'm not even going to attempt to explain what I couldn't intelligently explain anyway, I'm just telling you to call or see your agent about Umbrella Coverage.
You'll want a million dollar coverage and it isn't too expensive. Just stopped by at my agents place and it's only going to cost $127 a year. He's livid about the change and how most people won't save 10% on the cost of the auto insurance but only 10% of the CMMA cost.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
How often does your doom and gloom happen in the rest of the USA? I mean Michigan is the only state with fraud built right into car insurance.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Last I looked into this, MI had OBSCENELY high car insurance rates compared to other states. Has anything changed regarding that?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, they changed the unlimited medical. So you'll save something like 10%. Not 10% on your yearly insurance rate but 10% of the unlimited they used to charge.
So if you're paying $1000 a year (just an example even though it's low) you won't save $100. If the CMMA is $220 of your insurance rate you'll save $22 a year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
MLive Nov. 2019 article

Excerpt: "The Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association on Wednesday announced it would drop its vehicle assessment fees to from $220 to $100 starting in July 2020, citing sweeping changes to the state’s auto no-fault policies signed into law this year as the cause."
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:10:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

MLive Nov. 2019 article

Excerpt: "The Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association on Wednesday announced it would drop its vehicle assessment fees to from $220 to $100 starting in July 2020, citing sweeping changes to the state's auto no-fault policies signed into law this year as the cause."
View Quote
That's a start.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

MLive Nov. 2019 article

Excerpt: "The Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association on Wednesday announced it would drop its vehicle assessment fees to from $220 to $100 starting in July 2020, citing sweeping changes to the state’s auto no-fault policies signed into law this year as the cause."
View Quote
They did that, and the state legislature also now allows the insured to choose how much PIP coverage to purchase, from unlimited (required by law until 1 July 2020) to no coverage. PIP is what pays hospital bills if you’re injured. Some health insurance flat out don’t pay for auto injuries, so make sure to check with your health insurance before dropping PIP on your auto. On the other hand, insurers are expected to raise the cost of liability insurance to make up for increased lawsuits from people that dropped PIP. It may end up being a wash.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They did that, and the state legislature also now allows the insured to choose how much PIP coverage to purchase, from unlimited (required by law until 1 July 2020) to no coverage. PIP is what pays hospital bills if you’re injured. Some health insurance flat out don’t pay for auto injuries, so make sure to check with your health insurance before dropping PIP on your auto. On the other hand, insurers are expected to raise the cost of liability insurance to make up for increased lawsuits from people that dropped PIP. It may end up being a wash.
View Quote
There are tons of different scenarios where these changes open up your liability exposure. Lets say you lower or drop your PIP coverage because you have health insurance that will pay primary for auto accidents... Then you pull out in front of a motorcycle. In Michigan motorcycles do not have PIP coverage, so they get it from the vehicle they collide with if they hit one. If you drop or lower that coverage you now increase your exposure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top