Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2022 1:15:48 PM EDT
What are the applicable federal and state restrictions regarding purchase and possession of handguns for young Ohioans age 18-20?

My daughter just turned 18 and wants to get a handgun. I know she can't buy from a dealer until age 21, but what about private sales? Gifts?

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like LEO only 18-21

https://law.justia.com/codes/ohio/2006/orc/jd_2923211-8839.html

ETA - what is her main purpose? Could always form1 a pistol and then form4 to her but that wouldn't make it good for concealed carry for instance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Deleted, sorry about the wrong info
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about any laws prohibiting possession, but under-21 handgun sales are prohibited by state law, as is merely furnishing them except for hunting, sporting, or education. (ORC 2923.21)

So if you lived in another state where individual sales are not restricted, bought a handgun legally, and then moved to Ohio while still under 21, you would be good. But as an Ohioan under 21, there does not appear to be a legal way to obtain a handgun of your own.

ETA: As stated, there is an exception for LEOs, as well as .mil; regular folks don't seem to have any legal way.

This double-age-standard bullshit really needs to stop, not only with guns, but with everything else too. It's preposterous that somebody can enter into legal contracts, but is still prohibited from purchasing and/or possessing certain items for another few years.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like LEO only 18-21

https://law.justia.com/codes/ohio/2006/orc/jd_2923211-8839.html

ETA - what is her main purpose? Could always form1 a pistol and then form4 to her but that wouldn't make it good for concealed carry for instance.
View Quote

She wants something that she can plink and have fun with, but that could also be used for home defense if needed.

No desire to navigate NFA bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I was still thinking about this as I am currently playing with some PY2A G17 frames on my 3D printer.

Possession is legal, however "purchasing", "furnishing", "selling" are all illegal.

It would seem that if she made a pistol from scratch, that it isn't specifically outlawed.

Maybe a P80 Glock clone build would interest her. It really is very simple to complete if you don't go crazy with the "Gucci" factor.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was still thinking about this as I am currently playing with some PY2A G17 frames on my 3D printer.

Possession is legal, however "purchasing", "furnishing", "selling" are all illegal.

It would seem that if she made a pistol from scratch, that it isn't specifically outlawed.

Maybe a P80 Glock clone build would interest her. It really is very simple to complete if you don't go crazy with the "Gucci" factor.
View Quote

This is what I did when I turned 18. It's legal, too.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top