Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2021 2:12:53 PM EDT
So my wife and I are looking for a place to retire to. I'll do my standard disclaimer that even though we are coming from the Worker's Paradise of Illinois, we are both right wing extremists.

We found an interesting place in Shady Grove along the Arkansas River. Is that a nice area? I'm not into hunting or fishing. What I would be looking for is places to shoot at steel outdoors and places to off-road in a Jeep or SxS.

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks, Andy

UPDATE: So we did a video tour of the house in Shady Springs (not Grove) and the place is FUBAR, so the search continues. We would also consider a buildable lot, that is my preference and what we will focus on for a while.

I would appreciate any feedback you can offer on our search. Our wish list is:

1. No more than 45 minutes to the Tulsa airport.

2. 1 acre minimum lot size, I would love 5-10 acres, lot budget is $100,000

3. The wife would like to be near some water.

4. I want to be near an outdoor shooting area and off-roading.

Thanks in advance, Andy
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never really paid much attention to Shady Grove. But you will be close to several areas to ride the trails. Arkansas Missouri and Oklahoma all have nice trails and Shady Grove is not far from the two other states. You will be a couple of hours from Clayton and K trail at Honabia. Little over an hour from Poteau Mountain trail to Coaldale Ark. I think there's still a nice jeep trail by Grand Lake. If you like to canoe or Kayak your in a good spot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not familiar with Shady Grove but you shouldn't have any problem finding places to shoot, and there's lots of great off roading in Eastern Oklahoma. I used to go to Clayton and there were trails from mild to there's no way I'm going up that. Check out some you tube videos on four wheeling in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not familiar with Shady Grove but you shouldn't have any problem finding places to shoot, and there's lots of great off roading in Eastern Oklahoma. I used to go to Clayton and there were trails from mild to there's no way I'm going up that. Check out some you tube videos on four wheeling in Oklahoma.
View Quote

Well, I'm anxious to get there and check it out. The off roading would be awesome, I've spent a lot of time off roading various pick up trucks, a Jeep or SxS would be great. A CJ3B would be awesome!
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

I built this old power wagon years ago and had a lot of fun with it. We just don't have the time to go anymore.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/350389/20201003_162215_2_jpg-2124486.JPG
I built this old power wagon years ago and had a lot of fun with it. We just don't have the time to go anymore.
View Quote

Nice, for a Dodge
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not even sure if the trails at Clayton are open anymore.  Does anyone have any latest info?   Last time I went there was probably 2011/2012ish.  We started finding gates that were locked up and had to turn around, so we stopped going there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not even sure if the trails at Clayton are open anymore.  Does anyone have any latest info?   Last time I went there was probably 2011/2012ish.  We started finding gates that were locked up and had to turn around, so we stopped going there.
View Quote

2009 was the last time I was there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:31:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok I went on the OnX app (map software tailored for offroad/hiking/overlanding/4x4/etc), and they show trails that are open or closed.  The ones that are (were) near Clayton are no longer even on there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ok I went on the OnX app (map software tailored for offroad/hiking/overlanding/4x4/etc), and they show trails that are open or closed.  The ones that are (were) near Clayton are no longer even on there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damnit that sucks. The rock bed north of Clayton on Greenbay land was fun. I bet Greenbay sold it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Damnit that sucks. The rock bed north of Clayton on Greenbay land was fun. I bet Greenbay sold it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, Clayton was pretty awesome.  And there were some trails that were too hardcore for me.  Like you said, a little further east, Honobia Creek and K-Trail are both still open.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, Clayton was pretty awesome.  And there were some trails that were too hardcore for me.  Like you said, a little further east, Honobia Creek and K-Trail are both still open.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cowskin is still open for now on Poteau mountain but Stream Natural Resources has all of their land up for sale. The trail to coaldale Arkansas is open. But it’s tame. Scenic view and fun but no real challenge. I think Lenox trail off of skyline is also still open as well as Boardstand flats. I think the horse trails around cedar lake are still open if you’re into horse back. I kinda miss all the Forest service trails being open. We had thousands of miles to ride.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/350389/20201003_162215_2_jpg-2124486.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2021 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Google Disney Oklahoma and Little Sahara Oklahoma for off-roading. Little Sahara is an open sand dunes area and Disney has a a lot of local Jeep club events and side by sides. There are other areas but these are the first ones that came to mind.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Google Disney Oklahoma and Little Sahara Oklahoma for off-roading. Little Sahara is an open sand dunes area and Disney has a a lot of local Jeep club events and side by sides. There are other areas but these are the first ones that came to mind.
View Quote

Does Disney still have the width restriction trail? I hear it's fun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a Realtor of you need any more help
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

What area do you cover and for what agency? Thanks, Andy
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you also a lawman?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top