Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/7/2022 4:03:05 PM EDT
Anyone have any decent info on XCal? I happened to move about 10 minutes from it. It looks fully completed and I thought it was open until I saw on their website they are planing on their grand opening this month.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
There was an open house weekend before last.  I didn't make it, but some buddies did.  They also have a pretty active IG account, but it focuses mostly on the non-shooting parts, oddly.

Range apparently won't be ready for months.  Gym part will be open next month.  

It's a really curious business model.   They started pursuing this in New Jersey, but encountered too many impediments...so they shifted the idea here, and frankly, I think we are a very different market based on time I have spent in NJ.   They are counting on a target demographic that simultaneously enjoys target shooting, working out, martial arts, fine dining, and cigars...along with some who are also willing to lay down 9K for more perks, like a private entrance and lounge.

They also went way light on the shooting side IMO.  I believe they have one 10 lane 25yd range and another like it, but reserved for "tactical training" use. They also have 6 private ranges, with a single lane supporting up to five people in a group (one shooter at a time), which is available to premium tier members and at additional cost to regular members.  Granted, that would be very nice for instruction or working with a new shooter.

Their plan is that it will be an activity destination for families/couples, with perhaps one member being on the range while another is working out or taking a yoga class, but I am not sure how common that scenario will be.  I also think it was a mistake to build a facility that large without more lanes available for general use, as well as 50 yard lanes and perhaps a handful of 100 yard lanes...especially given how close Silver Eagle is.

They also plan to have 2A retail and will process transfers at some unknown cost.  

I guess time will tell.  Wife signed me up for the lowest tier shooting-side membership and I got the free t-shirt, so I'll try it for a couple months.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 1:33:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was an open house weekend before last.  I didn't make it, but some buddies did.  They also have a pretty active IG account, but it focuses mostly on the non-shooting parts, oddly.

Range apparently won't be ready for months.  Gym part will be open next month.  

It's a really curious business model.   They started pursuing this in New Jersey, but encountered too many impediments...so they shifted the idea here, and frankly, I think we are a very different market based on time I have spent in NJ.   They are counting on a target demographic that simultaneously enjoys target shooting, working out, martial arts, fine dining, and cigars...along with some who are also willing to lay down 9K for more perks, like a private entrance and lounge.

They also went way light on the shooting side IMO.  I believe they have one 10 lane 25yd range and another like it, but reserved for "tactical training" use. They also have 6 private ranges, with a single lane supporting up to five people in a group (one shooter at a time), which is available to premium tier members and at additional cost to regular members.  Granted, that would be very nice for instruction or working with a new shooter.

Their plan is that it will be an activity destination for families/couples, with perhaps one member being on the range while another is working out or taking a yoga class, but I am not sure how common that scenario will be.  I also think it was a mistake to build a facility that large without more lanes available for general use, as well as 50 yard lanes and perhaps a handful of 100 yard lanes...especially given how close Silver Eagle is.

They also plan to have 2A retail and will process transfers at some unknown cost.  

I guess time will tell.  Wife signed me up for the lowest tier shooting-side membership and I got the free t-shirt, so I'll try it for a couple months.
View Quote

That’s kind of a bummer to hear, especially if it’s going to be months until the lanes are open. I loved my membership at Greentop but it’s a long hike now; I was looking forward to having a decent place nearby.

At least if it doesn’t pan out I can just cancel the membership. I got the low tier shooting membership only. I have a decent gym here at my apartment, so why pay more money? It is a strange business model for sure.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW, Welcome to the neighborhood.  

The other range I mentioned, Silver Eagle, is also not far from you if you live near XCal, but was setup by folks who donate extensively to gun grabbers:  Dario Marquez & Dario Marquez Jr of SEG/MVM

Several years ago they claimed to have new ownership, but, coincidentally, the "new" owner has the same last name as the prior gun grabbing owner...and the same name as someone who was listed as an MVM employee ten years ago when donating to gun grabbers:  Stephen Marquez

So yeah, many folks here will not darken that door.

The NRA range is in Fairfax, and while it only has 15 lanes, they are all 50 yard positions.  The range is also spacious, clean, well lit, and has plenty of available chairs and shooting rests.  They don't rent firearms, but I view that as a plus.

Elite Shooting Sports is further away, in Manassas, but is a fantastic range.

And if you want to go long range and are up for a drive, there is Peacemaker.

Most other outdoor ranges in this area are member only.  I can't comment on those.  I was a member of the Fairfax-Arlington IWLA years ago, but am not any longer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
It sounds, in some ways, similar to the model Colonial Shooting Academy in Richmond tried when they first opened.  They definitely had a country club feel for the top line memberships (exclusive ranges, cigar lounge, etc), a cafe, an so on.  No yoga or full gym (although they did have some equipment in the basement by the shoot house) but a similar vibe.  The cafe didn't last too long, not sure about the rest.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
BTW, Welcome to the neighborhood.  

The other range I mentioned, Silver Eagle, is also not far from you if you live near XCal, but was setup by folks who donate extensively to gun grabbers:  Dario Marquez & Dario Marquez Jr of SEG/MVM

Several years ago they claimed to have new ownership, but, coincidentally, the "new" owner has the same last name as the prior gun grabbing owner...and the same name as someone who was listed as an MVM employee ten years ago when donating to gun grabbers:  Stephen Marquez

So yeah, many folks here will not darken that door.

The NRA range is in Fairfax, and while it only has 15 lanes, they are all 50 yard positions.  The range is also spacious, clean, well lit, and has plenty of available chairs and shooting rests.  They don't rent firearms, but I view that as a plus.

Elite Shooting Sports is further away, in Manassas, but is a fantastic range.

And if you want to go long range and are up for a drive, there is Peacemaker.

Most other outdoor ranges in this area are member only.  I can't comment on those.  I was a member of the Fairfax-Arlington IWLA years ago, but am not any longer.
View Quote

Thank you for the welcome. Wasn’t too big of a move from Spotsylvania but I constantly feel like I stick out like a sore thumb.

I may end up looking into Elite one of these weekends. I can’t stand the NRA range because of the huge wait times and constant shoulder looking. I just dropped the forms for my suppressor on Saturday so I’m hoping when that stamp comes back I’ll have a decent place nearby I can use it at.

ETA: I remember the whole Silver Eagle debacle. I was concerned XCal might be similar in its leanings, but hopefully not.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I've only been to Elite once since I'm fairly new to the area as well (Stafford), but I thought it was a really nice facility and we had a good time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wife and I are less than 2 miles from Xcal and signed up when memberships were first opened.

If there aren't enough shooting lanes for normal practice I'll just trek down to Elite.

That sucks.
View Quote

Hopefully the "tactical range" will be available for general use when such training is not taking place.  But either way, only having 25yd ranges is really disappointing....and means I'll still be hitting up the NRA and Elite for rifle shooting.

I wish SEG would sell to someone who doesn't hate America.  The facility they moved into several years ago is a pretty big upgrade from their initial location...and their retail side has a lot of interesting stuff.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It sounds, in some ways, similar to the model Colonial Shooting Academy in Richmond tried when they first opened.  They definitely had a country club feel for the top line memberships (exclusive ranges, cigar lounge, etc), a cafe, an so on.  No yoga or full gym (although they did have some equipment in the basement by the shoot house) but a similar vibe.  The cafe didn't last too long, not sure about the rest.
View Quote

Silver Eagle had the same business model when they first opened.  It failed even before they were outed. I think the Xcal model will fail the same way Silver Eagle did.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if xcal folks even talked to gun folks around the area before opening such a weird business model. I mean, are they copying someone else that they've seen make this model a success? Maybe they thought about opening a gym and cafe first then thought about adding the shooting range.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wonder if xcal folks even talked to gun folks around the area before opening such a weird business model. I mean, are they copying someone else that they've seen make this model a success? Maybe they thought about opening a gym and cafe first then thought about adding the shooting range.
View Quote

Not having ever talked to them, but I’d assume they’re trying to tap into the richer CrossFit gun types. With the area here, I’d guess there’s a larger population of food like that than areas south, but I don’t think that’s a huge population.

I’ve got a decent gym a 2 minute walk from my apartment that I pay for in my rent every month. Every place around here I looked at was similar, so why would I pay money for any of the memberships that include the gym? I would have been interested in a higher tier shooting range only membership but they don’t offer it.

It’s also the end of March and I haven’t seen anything about them opening anything like they had planned. I guess it got pushed back again.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It sounds like Top Golf for guns.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:45:11 AM EDT
[#13]
This weekend and coming week is their "soft launch." Has anyone stopped in yet? It sounded like the ranges were open for members already. I may try to drop in tomorrow to get my membership squared away.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:19:37 AM EDT
[#14]
They were open today for members who joined during the pre-sale.  Pretty interesting concept.  Walking in it definitely feels like a range.  Similar, if not more, retail and ammo than Elite.  Also, it has a much less a-hole vibe than SEG.  I live close and will no longer be giving SEG my money (I mostly used them for cheaper transfers).  Only has 25 yard lanes but that's the footprint they had to work with in that space.  If you are shooting 100 yards you might as well go to Peacemaker and shoot 300 to 1000, that's what I do.  The private lanes will be great for teaching my friends and family gun safety and fundamentals.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I was there yesterday as well and was pretty impressed.

First floor has two 10-lane 25-yard ranges, five single-lane (private) 25-yard ranges, and shooting retail...and the retail side is far better than ESS.  Didn't get upstairs to checkout the workout side.

Even without being an elite tier member (private entrance/lounge, gun lockers, etc.), the place still felt high end...and the staff could not have been more welcoming and helpful.  

I went with two buddies who also jumped in during the pre-sale and we all agreed it was definitely worth 35 beans a month...as long as wait times are reasonable.  Yesterday, it was a breeze.  We walked in and got three lanes without a wait...and the RO was very chill.   They do have some bugs to work out, however. The lane software crashes if you run scenarios.

Flat panels on the wall in waiting/retail area, showing each range position:

I should have taken more pics....but they have a very active IG account if you're curious.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Do strippers  come with that lighting scheme?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now that's a business model!  Range + strip joint.   Turns out one actually exists in Vegas.  Probably does better than the range + gym places.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I picked up my stuff today and they have ladies cut off tees, plus I'm sure there will be a decent amount of yoga pants walking around once things get going.

I had some questions when I picked up my stuff and asked if they would be running any competitions. I was told that's high on the list, that they have all the steel needed and frangible ammo, they just need to figure out times for it.

I'll probably try to go either Monday or Wednesday just to go through the process once before it (assumingly) gets much busier.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like SEG may be running scared...and they should be.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I went today after I finished doing the Greenway 5k. Got there around 1000 and the parking lot was packed. I figured there'd be at least some wait to get in: nope. Went right to the desk and was told there were no waits for either private or public lanes. Decided to get a private lane to just see what it was like. The lane was nice, you've just got like a 40 foot long corridor with a table about 15 feet in. Steel table with foam mat on top and a long bench seat are all that's in it. The control systems are easy to us and I didn't have too much of a problem using them and are in a good position to use either sitting or standing. The target controls at Green Top were annoying as you had to constantly stand up and sit down to use them so that was nice.

Similarly to Green top, seating for use in the bays isn't very good. There was a rolling seat in the hall that I asked to use but it's made for use at a desk, not the higher tables in the private lanes. It worked, but it was a little awkward. The table has a shelf under it for storing things that I managed to bang my knee into, but, I was the one using the stool so my fault. The padding on the top of the table is similar to the exercise floor mats you can buy but a little more spongey. It's absolutely needed since it's a steel table, but in the confines of the private range I had spent casings constantly banging off the sides and shelf.

Besides the table and chair thing, the only item that I didn't like was the target holders: they're shaped like a coat hanger and you hang your target by using two large binder clips on the shoulders of the holder. They're not very rigid and trying to mark targets is a pain. I used the one scenario setup in the system: the target would go out to 5 feet then present for 2 seconds and flip 90 degrees for 2 seconds, etc. With the target only supported up top it would flap around and have just enough time to flatten back out after it turned.

However, it was a clean, professionally run range, everything worked, and it was a fairly easy process getting checked in and getting to a lane. I may go back tomorrow to try the public lanes. There is a training class thing called "Beyond the Line" that they'll start running next month. I don't know if you have to pay, but it's similar to most ranges that have a certification class before you can do more specialized things on the lanes. That class will let you pull the table out of the private lanes and move up and down the lane and do more than just standing or sitting.

I also did not see anything in the safety video or anywhere else about holster use. The only caveat in the safety video is "aimed fire, no hip shooting", but I'll double check next time I'm there. Seeing as it's opening day, I see no reason not to go as it should only be getting better the next few months as kinks are worked out of their systems.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I went today after I finished doing the Greenway 5k. Got there around 1000 and the parking lot was packed. I figured there'd be at least some wait to get in: nope. Went right to the desk and was told there were no waits for either private or public lanes. Decided to get a private lane to just see what it was like. The lane was nice, you've just got like a 40 foot long corridor with a table about 15 feet in. Steel table with foam mat on top and a long bench seat are all that's in it. The control systems are easy to us and I didn't have too much of a problem using them and are in a good position to use either sitting or standing. The target controls at Green Top were annoying as you had to constantly stand up and sit down to use them so that was nice.

Similarly to Green top, seating for use in the bays isn't very good. There was a rolling seat in the hall that I asked to use but it's made for use at a desk, not the higher tables in the private lanes. It worked, but it was a little awkward. The table has a shelf under it for storing things that I managed to bang my knee into, but, I was the one using the stool so my fault. The padding on the top of the table is similar to the exercise floor mats you can buy but a little more spongey. It's absolutely needed since it's a steel table, but in the confines of the private range I had spent casings constantly banging off the sides and shelf.

Besides the table and chair thing, the only item that I didn't like was the target holders: they're shaped like a coat hanger and you hang your target by using two large binder clips on the shoulders of the holder. They're not very rigid and trying to mark targets is a pain. I used the one scenario setup in the system: the target would go out to 5 feet then present for 2 seconds and flip 90 degrees for 2 seconds, etc. With the target only supported up top it would flap around and have just enough time to flatten back out after it turned.

However, it was a clean, professionally run range, everything worked, and it was a fairly easy process getting checked in and getting to a lane. I may go back tomorrow to try the public lanes. There is a training class thing called "Beyond the Line" that they'll start running next month. I don't know if you have to pay, but it's similar to most ranges that have a certification class before you can do more specialized things on the lanes. That class will let you pull the table out of the private lanes and move up and down the lane and do more than just standing or sitting.

I also did not see anything in the safety video or anywhere else about holster use. The only caveat in the safety video is "aimed fire, no hip shooting", but I'll double check next time I'm there. Seeing as it's opening day, I see no reason not to go as it should only be getting better the next few months as kinks are worked out of their systems.
View Quote

They have cardboard, but you need to ask for it right now.  They said they are going to fix that issue.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They have cardboard, but you need to ask for it right now.  They said they are going to fix that issue.
View Quote

That's good to know. I'll make sure to do that in the future.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like they have supply issues on the initial build.  I can't imagine them intentionally going with a hanger system as described.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It sounds like Top Golf for guns.
View Quote

I could be wrong, but I was told the Top Golf and iFly owner/s also own Xcal.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think that's that case...at least based on the video the XCal owner and his son posted last year.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't think that's that case...at least based on the video the XCal owner and his son posted last year.
View Quote

Oh ok…my “source” must have been wrong.

I was told that back in 2018 long before they broke ground. Who knows, my wife says I’m always wrong. I used to it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#28]

https://loudounnow.com/2022/05/09/xcal-opens-firearms-fitness-complex-in-ashburn/amp/

“The opening comes 16 years after Jason began developing the concept and more than a decade after he started partnering with his father to flesh it out. They bought the land—next to two other well-established Ashburn entertainment destinations, TopGolf and the iFLY indoor skydiving center—in 2017.

But XCAL is expected to be more than a regional destination for gun enthusiasts. It’s a family-owned business with designs on serving the surrounding neighborhoods as a community asset.

“We have three generations of Browns working here. You don’t do this without family, and it is great being here with family working, and we’ve got an employee group back here that we treat like family,” Jeffrey Brown said during the opening ceremony attended by state Sen. John J. Bell (D-13) and Supervisor Sylvia Glass (D-Broad Run).”

Interesting list of attendees. I hope the owners aren’t more Dem donating range owners.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Top Golf and iFly seem to have the same ownership.  The property record mailing address for both is 12500 Fair Lakes Cir STE 400.

XCal has a mailing address in tax haven Dover, DE
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#30]
When not using a friends land to run any kind of training we want, Elite is the best choice for Non Membership shooting. Cant beat their 100 yd line with camera over target to reduce time pulling targets back and forth for zeroing rifles (Call first on this range as its usually LEO full Mon-Thur) Never once had to wait for 25 or 50 yd line ranges. Owners of xCal gave me a tour before attending their Soft Opening, even offered me a RO Job. Its a totally Membership Driven facility that doesnt offer Non Member capabilities like Elite does for cheap hourly rates. My 3 cents.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When not using a friends land to run any kind of training we want, Elite is the best choice for Non Membership shooting. Cant beat their 100 yd line with camera over target to reduce time pulling targets back and forth for zeroing rifles (Call first on this range as its usually LEO full Mon-Thur) Never once had to wait for 25 or 50 yd line ranges. Owners of xCal gave me a tour before attending their Soft Opening, even offered me a RO Job. Its a totally Membership Driven facility that doesnt offer Non Member capabilities like Elite does for cheap hourly rates. My 3 cents.
View Quote

That depends where you live.  

Elite is great, but it's a 40-45 minute drive for my shooting buddies and me.  XCal is 10 minutes away.  That wins when we just want to shoot pistols, PCCs, or some other drill where 25 yards works.  The private ranges are also a fantastic option for teaching a new shooter or for drills.

I don't understand the "nonmember capabilities" comment.  No doubt, XCal encourages membership and has perks for different tiers of membership, but they also allow nonmembers to pay by the hour for a lane.  Their rate is $25, which is the same as SEG and not significantly more expensive than ESS, at $20.  And if price is the driver, the NRA range is $15 an hour for NRA members, which is even less than ESS.  XCal's retail is also open to the general public...and you can buy a day pass for the workout side.

No doubt, Elite wins in terms of range options, but if you live near XCal and 25 yards works for you, it's a fantastic option.  I can drive there, shoot, and be back home (or work) in 90 minutes.  That is just my round trip travel time to Elite...on a weekend. Given traffic, I normally wouldn't even consider driving to Elite during the week.  If you live nearby, then that's a different story for you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Totally concur!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do agree only having 25 yards kind of sucks. I have a membership with Green Top until June so I’ve been comparing the two in my mind. Granted, Green Top’s range has been in business for quite a while so some of my gripes about XCal will likely disappear in the next few months.

However, having a range 10 minutes from my apartment that I can likely walk into and immediately get on a lane is nice. The operating hours are also a huge plus: if I get bored at 2000, I can schlep on over and shoot until 2300 if I remember the hours correctly.

The retail space is nice, though I’m sure prices higher than what I could buy online, but having a place to go to if I need something right then is nice. I’ll also be using them this week to have a lower transferred to. I don’t remember what the transfer fees are, but again, considering it’s 10 minutes away, on my way to and from work, it probably is worth the money.

I don’t be using the private lanes again until they offer their training course to use them for more than bench shooting. Besides a more intimate environment for working with a new shooter, it isn’t worth it. Once I can get the table out and can do more interactive drills I’ll be more willing to pay for the time.

Hopefully they’ll have some theme nights set up like ladies nights, family nights, etc. to help pull people in. The leagues they’re planning for will also make it more worthwhile as well. I’m hoping the youth league is something I’ll be able to rope my son into and volunteer to help out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I do agree only having 25 feet kind of sucks.

View Quote

I'm sure that's just a typo, but for other folks, the lanes are 25 yards, not feet.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm sure that's just a typo, but for other folks, the lanes are 25 yards, not feet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do agree only having 25 feet kind of sucks.

Yes, typo. Work and ARF don’t mix.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Took the girl shooting last week. They do now have a small supply of cardboard backers for use. Also was told if you need a stool for zeroing or shooting from the bench they should have some to provide to you.

Being new in the area, I’ve been looking for an FFL to receive an online order. I’m ordering from AIM Surplus so I was using their FFL finder. The first few places I looked at were listed at $25 a transfer but every place had a price $10-25 higher in their website. XCal is too new and was listed and they also don’t have any information about the store besides gunsmithing and laser engraving. I stopped by today and asked the guys working the retail area. My wording might have been bad but it took a minute for them to understand, but once we were on the same page they let me know that they do accept transfers and charge members $10. I did not ask what the non-member price was. I’ll be placing my order tonight and probably stop in tomorrow to let them know and to avoid any hiccups.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Took the girl shooting last week. They do now have a small supply of cardboard backers for use. Also was told if you need a stool for zeroing or shooting from the bench they should have some to provide to you.

Being new in the area, I’ve been looking for an FFL to receive an online order. I’m ordering from AIM Surplus so I was using their FFL finder. The first few places I looked at were listed at $25 a transfer but every place had a price $10-25 higher in their website. XCal is too new and was listed and they also don’t have any information about the store besides gunsmithing and laser engraving. I stopped by today and asked the guys working the retail area. My wording might have been bad but it took a minute for them to understand, but once we were on the same page they let me know that they do accept transfers and charge members $10. I did not ask what the non-member price was. I’ll be placing my order tonight and probably stop in tomorrow to let them know and to avoid any hiccups.
View Quote

They told us the same transfer price last week. It's a good deal. I hope it lasts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Picked up the lower I had shipped from AIM today. I guess the guy I talked to was incorrect: member transfers are $15, not $10. Not that big of a deal as that's still $20 cheaper than the places around here. Forms all are electronic and once all of them were filled out I had a go in about 30 seconds. Definitely going to be dangerous having a place 10 minutes away I can easily do transfers at.

I also went shooting on Friday evening. Used the larger range. Even with a lot of full auto going on it wasn't bad noise wise. The ventilation seems to be a little on the weak side as it would get pretty foggy if a lot of folks were firing or someone was mag dumping. Might be the lighting is better here than other ranges I've been at so it's more visible. I'm going to start printing my own targets and prestapling them on cardboard backers. The little T-hangers aren't horrible for paper targets, they just make it a pain to mark my shots afterward.

Overall, I'm very happy with XCal. It does seem pretty slow whenever I'm in so I hope that I'm just missing the crowds. They've got a decent selection of firearms at the counters, pretty good rentals, and the part selection is better than most stores. I'm hoping their parts retail will flesh out a little more over the next month or two as it's basically Magpul or BattleArms parts. There is a section with a Geissele sign but nothing there. They have a few of their triggers and I think one or two complete carbines on the wall but that's it.

It seems like we have a few people at least who are members there. Maybe we could get a monthly meetup together?
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I was there at 10am today...on the main (luxury) range,  Only one other lane populated.  Odd.  Unusually slow compared to prior weekends.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:51:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Is there a difference between them? I know the site says  one is “tactical” and one is “luxury”, but what’s the difference? It seems like there’s just open bays and the 5 private lanes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Luxury range (and I feel stupid typing that) is their primary range for lane rentals.  It's the one on the left, with the shooters displayed on the big screen TVs in the waiting area with the couches.  

Tactical range is on the right, and they will overflow into there for lane rental if the luxury range is full and it is available, but it is also used for classes and training, including down range training and steel shoots.

The lanes in the luxury range are wider and deeper, but the tactical range's lanes have more than enough room.  I've shot on both and don't really have a preference...although it's easier to grab a cardboard backer on the way into the luxury range.  The price is the same for both...which is $0 if you are a member.  The private lanes are an added expense.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Holy shit.  $10,000 initiation fee for the all access membership

For that, just get on the list at Fairfax rod and gun club.  Or for the $10,000 initial, and $300/month, find a small parcel of undeveloped land west of here
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Holy shit.  $10,000 initiation fee for the all access membership

For that, just get on the list at Fairfax rod and gun club.  Or for the $10,000 initial, and $300/month, find a small parcel of undeveloped land west of here
View Quote

I got a tour of all the super membership stuff when I took a tour of the gym. If I had no money worries at all, sure. There were folks doing work there and you could use conference areas for video calls. And I have the money I could do that membership for a year or two, but I’d rather spend the $16k on a shit ton of ammo or something else.

I did hear steel matches should be starting up in a few weeks. Later this summer when I finally get some NV, I’m going to see if it’s possible to use the private lane with no lights and the window blocked off. Could be kinda nice.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone doing the steel challenge on Monday? Saw a flyer for it today when I was there. Went to register and saw all spots were already taken. Not sure how long registration was open, but the RSO I talked said he hadn’t heard about until he got in today. Kinda bummed as I was hoping to get in to do it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Do they have mirrors on the ranges so you can flex your guns as you shoot them?  I'd be worried about firearms squirting out of their owners hands from all the oiling of themselves and their brohims and causing negligent discharges.  OMFG, the jokes just write themselves!!!

Srsly, tho, I hope they do well.  It's never a bad thing to see ranges opening up!
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Has anyone used/seen their gunsmithing/laser engraving services? I’ve heard offhand discussions about them having someone who could look at firearms but never heard their name or heard the services offered/advertised outside the range. Laser engraving was also something else that was on the website as a service and would be a handy thing to have up here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Anyone doing the steel challenge on Monday? Saw a flyer for it today when I was there. Went to register and saw all spots were already taken. Not sure how long registration was open, but the RSO I talked said he hadn’t heard about until he got in today. Kinda bummed as I was hoping to get in to do it.
View Quote

$40 for a match that only uses 50 rounds...and you have to use pricey frangible ammo?

That is worse than the once a month NRA IDPA and USPSA matches. Plus, its not even real USPSA-sanctioned Steel Challenge. It is "SteelX," whatever that is.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

$40 for a match that only uses 50 rounds...and you have to use pricey frangible ammo?

That is worse than the once a month NRA IDPA and USPSA matches. Plus, its not even real USPSA-sanctioned Steel Challenge. It is "SteelX," whatever that is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the round count is higher. The one session I heard about afterwards they had a PCC set up for everyone to shoot part of the stage with. Member price might also be slightly cheaper as well. But if it’s fun and 5 minutes from me, I wouldn’t consider it too bad of a deal.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I believe the round count is higher. The one session I heard about afterwards they had a PCC set up for everyone to shoot part of the stage with. Member price might also be slightly cheaper as well. But if it’s fun and 5 minutes from me, I wouldn’t consider it too bad of a deal.
View Quote

Yeah, shooting steel is a hoot.  The only nearby(-ish) public place I know of to do it is 340 Defense and that's just two lanes of fairly close targets for pistols...but still fun.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Did the recent steel shoot. There were a few low light stages which was cool. You don't have to buy their frangible, which is fucking expensive at $30 for a box of 50. They only care that you shoot frangible, not fmj. Found some Norma for much cheaper.

3 stages. 2 low light. Not a fan of the recent price increase to $40 either, but there's not too many other options.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top