Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2018 6:44:29 PM EDT
https://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/pages/17252/Overview/?relatedId=150000

Not just at ANC.   Despite the crappy weather I'm considering going to the event at Quantico National Cemetery.  Probably not as well attended as ANC since it gets all the press.  It gets started later than ANC so I can sleep in.

It's also the resting place of Eugene Stoner.

And Hector Cafferata
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw 5 WAA wrapped 18 wheelers heading north on Rt1 today.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I signed my son and I up as volunteers to help lay some wreaths. We’ll be heading up there soon. Don’t know how long or where we’ll be, but seemed like a good civics lesson for this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I did the laying of wreaths at ANC for several years starting when we moved to the USA.

We stopped going to the laying as it turned into an unseemly event with folks rushing around and jostling for wreaths, to lay as many as possible without sparing a second to read the name of the person .

Now we pay our respects at the clean up.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The wreaths spread well across the oceans.  Our fallen all over Europe are adorned with decor; thanks to so many volunteers abroad.  Tomorrow, I go to see Gen. Patton and his men in Luxembourg.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did the laying of wreaths at ANC for several years starting when we moved to the USA.

We stopped going to the laying as it turned into an unseemly event with folks rushing around and jostling for wreaths, to lay as many as possible without sparing a second to read the name of the person .

Now we pay our respects at the clean up.
View Quote
We’ve visited the Fredericksburg cemetary on Memorial Day to walk the rows and I’ve brought him with me to ANC to see where I served and to visit a few friends.

I was highly disappointed with the event at Quantico. We got there about 30 minutes early expecting things to start at 1200 per the website and email. People were walking back to their vehicles already and vehicles were parked all along the road to the cemetary. Once we got there I just followed the leader since I couldn’t find any specific mention of where to go besides there being plentiful parking. That meant shoulder parking and by the time we left at 1215, a lot of the shoulders were torn the hell up from people pulling way far on the grass and tearing it out when leaving due to the very wet conditions. By the time we found someone with event, we were told we had gone the wrong way and all wreaths had been taken and laid already. We managed to get to the ceremony in the middle of the national anthem, got out while it was being sung, then left. By the time we would have parked and gotten back it would have been over.

If a time change was made, I never saw it. I was told by a friend at work that the timeline was changed due to the rain and people were just grabbing wreaths to lay out. Regardless of the wreaths, it would have been nice to know where everything was happening and more specifics. We did enjoy the excuse to go to the Marine Corps Museum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top