Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 11:59:59 PM EDT
Looking at heading north and out of the city, it seems there's some decent places on good land for less $ than western NC and east TN. What's the story in that area? Are a lot of rural people leaving VA?

I'm looking at the western point from around Hillsville to KY and up near WV.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Sad to say I have never been much past Rafford.  Definitely beautiful looking country.  Not as generous in the deer bag limits as the rest of the state especially the Eastern side.  Need to plan a trip.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#2]
You might be in for a little culture shock.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
How so?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How so?
View Quote

Where are you moving from?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#5]
wv, tn .

Don't move here. you'll regret it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Where are you moving from?
View Quote
GA.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
wv, tn .

Don't move here. you'll regret it.
View Quote
Everywhere sucks at the federal and soon to be state level, and in urban areas. I'm looking to get lost in the woods and was wondering if prices are so low in the area I was looking at due to the madness in Richmond.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Everywhere sucks at the federal and soon to be state level, and in urban areas. I'm looking to get lost in the woods and was wondering if prices are so low in the area I was looking at due to the madness in Richmond.
View Quote

No prices are so low because it’s an economically depressed area. It’s beautiful, but there’s nothing there.

Good news is you’ll be 6 from Richmond so you’ll definitely be far separated from the political BS. But you’ll also feel like you’ve got no representation because the political elites couldn’t care less about far SW VA. But you’re in Georgia now and it looks like that state is only 2-3 years behind VA politically. You’re purple now, but it will be solidly blue once the rest of the New Yorkers move in to escape Cuomo’a taxes (then vote for the same policies once they’re there).
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No prices are so low because it's an economically depressed area. It's beautiful, but there's nothing there.

Good news is you'll be 6 from Richmond so you'll definitely be far separated from the political BS. But you'll also feel like you've got no representation because the political elites couldn't care less about far SW VA. But you're in Georgia now and it looks like that state is only 2-3 years behind VA politically. You're purple now, but it will be solidly blue once the rest of the New Yorkers move in to escape Cuomo'a taxes (then vote for the same policies once they're there).
View Quote
Yeah GA is screwed. I'm hoping to get out to somewhere I can be somewhat self sufficient. I'm retired military and the economy of an area isn't as much of an issue as the crime.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:00:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sad to say I have never been much past Radford.  Definitely beautiful looking country.  Not as generous in the deer bag limits as the rest of the state especially the Eastern side.  Need to plan a trip.
View Quote

East of I-95 seems to look at Deer bag limits as pest control. Buy more tags and kill more deer! Sons, Grandsons and I hunt and shoot on 50 acres between 95 and Wakefield, I shoot and they hunt. Good to have your own place.    
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Having spent time traveling and working near that area it is like going back in time. The further you get away from I-81 the worse it is. Picture 1980's with the exception the area (mostly) has cable and internet (mostly).
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How so?
View Quote

People will be friendly, but cautious as you are not from there. They will know you are new and you will be somewhat isolated.

Like the other posters said, there is nothing there. A few sheetz, maybe a few Walmart's here and there, but that's about it.

Working one day we were delivering a kitchen to a soon to find our former meth house in an area where the GPS didn't work and we were lost but we didn't know it yet. The owner actually passed us on a double yellow in a white ford ranger slammed on the brakes to stop us in the middle of the road and tell us where we needed to go. He said he heard we were close when he got a few phone calls and went to find us...That is where you are asking about.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

Having spent time traveling and working near that area it is like going back in time. The further you get away from I-81 the worse it is. Picture 1980's with the exception the area (mostly) has cable and internet (mostly).
View Quote

"worse"

No my friend, it's better.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

People will be friendly, but cautious as you are not from there. They will know you are new and you will be somewhat isolated.

Like the other posters said, there is nothing there. A few sheetz, maybe a few Walmart's here and there, but that's about it.

Working one day we were delivering a kitchen to a soon to find our former meth house in an area where the GPS didn't work and we were lost but we didn't know it yet. The owner actually passed us on a double yellow in a white ford ranger slammed on the brakes to stop us in the middle of the road and tell us where we needed to go. He said he heard we were close when he got a few phone calls and went to find us...That is where you are asking about.
View Quote

I was born and raised down there. He's right. People will NOT trust you, they will know instantly that you're a come here. You will be somewhat isolated until you build trust and they know you aren't there to change things. Try changing anything, and you'll find yourself on your own or worse. These are counties that vote 80% plus for Trump. The distrust and hate has gotten worse since Trump won, and liberals started mouthing off. These are people that would bury a NoVA scumbag like Levine or Saslaw so deep in the Jefferson or cedar that they'd never be seen again if they were to tread down that way. I can say that, things are changing down there, since the NovA libs took over. People are angry. People with not much left to lose. I keep land there and still ahave my accent. You would be fine when they figure you aren't there to tell them what to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top