User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m62-m76:
South Dakota, was ranked, the Number 1 Retirement State in the Country, in 2018.

And I believe, 2 other times, in the last 10 years!

Starting my home construction this year, on my 2 acre lot!
I am doing a Geo Thermal HVAC system,  85% efficient wood stove and hot tub.
Gonna be Good!
View Quote

Which style of Geo Thermal? straight down, across the yard, or in to water?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
You can stay.
View Quote

Thank you good sir!
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

Glad I could hook you up with a realtor make it happen without pain for you. Welcome to the free world.
View Quote

I told him to expect a call in a few weeks or months to start looking for a piece of land for my dream- my own private shooting range. The title company called him yesterday asking where my money was! They were looking at the wrong file, fuckers almost gave us both a heart attack! I double checked the wiring instructions as well as my peeps at Morgan Stanley and they had to give me a good scare.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Lhands:

Which style of Geo Thermal? straight down, across the yard, or in to water?
View Quote

I will find out on that.
Mike
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 5:00:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kit_Karson] [#5]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:
There's also an old missile launch site south of Rapid on 79.  It maybe 5 miles south of Hermosa, on the east side of 79.  The road is county 7, but it's also called Missile Rd.  

I drove out there one time, but the locked gate and no trespassing signs kept me honest.  It's not a Minuteman site and it's not a Nike Site.  And I'm pretty sure it's not a Titan site.  Anyone know what it is?

View Quote

I was just talking with a co-worker about this site after I saw the map previously posted here. He was able to get on-site and talk to someone in the know a number of years ago.

The only other ones would be an Atlas Missile, but from what was described to him sounded like a Titan complex.

http://www.themilitarystandard.com/missile/titan1/layout.php

ETA: on the same site (http://www.themilitarystandard.com/missile/titan1/ellsworth_afb.php). talks about a titan complex tied to the "Rapid City Army Air Base" near Hermosa

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kit_Karson:

I was just talking with a co-worker about this site after I saw the map previously posted here. He was able to get on-site and talk to someone in the know a number of years ago.

The only other ones would be an Atlas Missile, but from what was described to him sounded like a Titan complex.

http://www.themilitarystandard.com/missile/titan1/layout.php

ETA: on the same site (http://www.themilitarystandard.com/missile/titan1/ellsworth_afb.php). talks about a titan complex tied to the "Rapid City Army Air Base" near Hermosa

View Quote

That first link seems to match what I see so I'll defer and agree that it is a Titan site.   But I see no signs of a runway...  When I get back to my laptop,  I'll try to find more aerial imagery.   But the terrain at this site did not look conducive for landing bombers.

And thanks.   Curiosity is sated.  I'd still like to walk it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The only place they landed bombers and still do is Ellsworth. My wife's family has owned land here since the late 1800's and when they built the base the land was in the landing pattern.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:

That first link seems to match what I see so I'll defer and agree that it is a Titan site.   But I see no signs of a runway...  When I get back to my laptop,  I'll try to find more aerial imagery.   But the terrain at this site did not look conducive for landing bombers.

And thanks.   Curiosity is sated.  I'd still like to walk it.
View Quote
I think pretty much all the missiles came into Ellsworth and were trucked out to the sites.
I know the minuteman's were brought into the 66th sites on semi's.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kit_Karson:
I think pretty much all the missiles came into Ellsworth and were trucked out to the sites.
I know the minuteman's were brought into the 66th sites on semi's.
View Quote

That's what I thought too.  We saw at least one warhead being moved last time we were traveling near Cheyenne.  I probably misunderstand what the 2nd link was saying.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#10]
South Dakota, was ranked, the Number 1 Retirement State in the Country, in 2018.

And I believe, 2 other times, in the last 10 years!

Starting my home construction this year, on my 2 acre lot!
I am doing a Geo Thermal HVAC system,  85% efficient wood stove and hot tub.
Gonna be Good!
View Quote

Don't repeat that, and tell any leftists it's worst possible place live.  Sioux Falls was named the best small city in America around 20 years ago, and it has been going to shit since.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a SD homeowner as of last month. Officially moving out there this weekend. I grew up in Hot Springs and just bought a home in Custer. As others have said, it's a seller's market at the moment, and I was second in line to get this house as the backup buyer. The first buyer couldn't get financing, so it fell to me and we closed last month. Love the area and looking forward to getting back.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FAL:
I'm a SD homeowner as of last month. Officially moving out there this weekend. I grew up in Hot Springs and just bought a home in Custer. As others have said, it's a seller's market at the moment, and I was second in line to get this house as the backup buyer. The first buyer couldn't get financing, so it fell to me and we closed last month. Love the area and looking forward to getting back.
View Quote
Awesome! Welcome home! Great area!
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:25:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TrailFork] [#13]
I've loved SD every time I've visited but only recently considered it as a new home.  I had a friend years ago who was born/raised in the Black Hills area but left for Texas because he got fed up with the winters.  To be fair, he was older than I am now and frail so age/health have a way of making winters feel harder.   He died a few years ago so I can't reach out to him for intel.  

Tell me about the winters in the Rapid City/Black Hills area.   For comparison, I'm planning our evacuation from the Colorado Springs area so I like having four distinct seasons and the winters along the front range are just about perfect:  snow comes, doesn't stay long, and back to sunny tolerable weather.   I saw someone refer to the Rapid City area as the Banana Belt of the state and maybe I've misunderstood that term all these years;  thinking of the Banana Belt in Colorado would be Canyon City area which has extremely mild winters.

I work from home (since way before it became a thing with covid) so excellent broadband is a must.    We home school, so don't really care about the local districts.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Moving to SD, next year.
Can't wait to exit, this leftist controlled shit hole.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Moving to SD, next year.
Can't wait to exit, this leftist controlled shit hole.
View Quote

When does the house get finished?
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TrailFork:
I've loved SD every time I've visited but only recently considered it as a new home.  I had a friend years ago who was born/raised in the Black Hills area but left for Texas because he got fed up with the winters.  To be fair, he was older than I am now and frail so age/health have a way of making winters feel harder.   He died a few years ago so I can't reach out to him for intel.  

Tell me about the winters in the Rapid City/Black Hills area.   For comparison, I'm planning our evacuation from the Colorado Springs area so I like having four distinct seasons and the winters along the front range are just about perfect:  snow comes, doesn't stay long, and back to sunny tolerable weather.   I saw someone refer to the Rapid City area as the Banana Belt of the state and maybe I've misunderstood that term all these years;  thinking of the Banana Belt in Colorado would be Canyon City area which has extremely mild winters.

I work from home (since way before it became a thing with covid) so excellent broadband is a must.    We home school, so don't really care about the local districts.
View Quote

I would say calling RC the banna belt is a bit of an exaggeration but comparative to the eastern side of the state, accurate. It's like saying it's the banna belt of Antarctica.

I thought this winter was kinda mild. We got our winter blast like we always get for a couple weeks with zero highs and such but wasn'ta lot of snow hanging on all winter. Typically it's pretty normal to have a good month of best you can expect is 20deg highs and of course there is about a month lead up on each end of that both cooling and warming where 30 is about it. Wind is the killer. It can get pretty windy here and the snow comes and goes but doesn't really go away usually.

I always tell people considering moving here, if winter is at all on your radar as a concern, this is probably not the place for you. If you are fully preparing, including buying coveralls, a snow blower or tractor depending on your place, and having awd or 4wd then you at least know what you're in for.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By chargerkid5:

I would say calling RC the banna belt is a bit of an exaggeration but comparative to the eastern side of the state, accurate. It's like saying it's the banna belt of Antarctica.

I thought this winter was kinda mild. We got our winter blast like we always get for a couple weeks with zero highs and such but wasn'ta lot of snow hanging on all winter. Typically it's pretty normal to have a good month of best you can expect is 20deg highs and of course there is about a month lead up on each end of that both cooling and warming where 30 is about it. Wind is the killer. It can get pretty windy here and the snow comes and goes but doesn't really go away usually.

I always tell people considering moving here, if winter is at all on your radar as a concern, this is probably not the place for you. If you are fully preparing, including buying coveralls, a snow blower or tractor depending on your place, and having awd or 4wd then you at least know what you're in for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TrailFork:

Yeah last winter was pretty mild.
Only used the snow blower twice.
Winter can be brutal some years.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#18]
My house will be finished in April, Then I start moving to SD!

Originally Posted By b_saan:

When does the house get finished?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2021 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I have cold weather gear, 3  4x4 Trucks.
Just need a good snow blower.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I have cold weather gear, 3  4x4 Trucks.
Just need a good snow blower.
View Quote

Check with Watertown Lawn and Garden when you get out here, great guys there and fair prices. Just bought a new mower there at the beginning of the season and they've done some repairs on other equipment for me at very reasonable cost too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Cool,
I'll need a good snow blower and riding mower.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 7:51:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#22]
Hey guys. Where would you recommend I look?

- Got kids so good schools nearby, private or public
- wife and I work, unsure if my employer would allow remote so maybe 30-45 minutes from a city with good employers (currently work for global Corp)
- space. I'm on 4 acres now. Would love to shoot on own property. 750k range (our current place has appreciated a lot)
- conservative area
- topography
- hiking / parks / lakes within a few hours

sortof a unicorn list I know but thought I'd ask.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:

- wife and I work, unsure if my employer would allow remote so maybe 30-45 minutes from a city with good employers (currently work for global Corp)
- space. I'm on 4 acres now. Would love to shoot on own property. 750k range (our current place has appreciated a lot)
- conservative area
- topography

View Quote
Probably Black Hills area but you're looking at serious money with as crazy as things have been lately. Virtually anywhere else in the state will give you what you're looking for, except for topography. Eastern half of the state is pretty flat, but that does lend itself to shooting. Aberdeen/Watertown area has a lot of lakes. Parks are all over. It really comes down to jobs. The bigger towns are going to have the better paying jobs.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 5:35:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Just a reminder why it's not very populated here. It's October 13th.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
I hope y’all are leaving room for another transplant. I am looking at SD for a potential move.  
View Quote

I generally don't encourage anyone to move here but for you I'll make an exception.

Just know this is the million dollar view out my front window right now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:

- conservative area
- topography

View Quote

You're going to have to decide whether you want topography or close  (good) employers. Black Hills for the former, Sioux Falls area for the latter.

We were recently looking to get out of the city and were focusing on Hot Springs or Custer. Logistics of the whole thing just weren't going to work. But that's where we'd go.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#29]
@NoloContendere  Love to have you in the Hills with us. If and when you need a real estate guy or any one else, let me know.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Awesome. I am looking forward to visiting and seeing it. Your governor is kickass and makes my governor look like the spineless and ball-less asshole he is. Since all I do is sit behind a computer and type, I am not really concerned too much with the cold. But maybe I get up there and freeze to death. 😬
View Quote

Let me say this as a 20 plus year desert rat who moved to SD this year. If I can deal with the snow here, you can too. As long as you are not totally in the boonies, but live in the Rapid City area, getting buried in by snow is not a concern. I would suggest 4WD drive as extra insurance when hitting icy patches in parking lots and such.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TrucksAndGuns:

Let me say this as a 20 plus year desert rat who moved to SD this year. If I can deal with the snow here, you can too. As long as you are not totally in the boonies, but live in the Rapid City area, getting buried in by snow is not a concern. I would suggest 4WD drive as extra insurance when hitting icy patches in parking lots and such.
View Quote
Other than Atlas. when Rapid City got 2 feet of snow and 70 mile an hour winds....
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I hope y’all are leaving room for another transplant. I am looking at SD for a potential move.  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

@NoloContendere
You move here, and keep fighting for the 2nd Amendment, and I’LL move your snow for you!

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:59:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m62-m76] [#35]
I am moving to SD in May.
Veteran
Patriot
NRA Patriot Life Member
Benefactor Level!!!

Don't forget my Snow!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I am moving to SD in May.
Veteran
Patriot
NRA Patriot Life Member
Benefactor Level!!!

Don't forget my Snow!!!!
View Quote

Moved here this past March. If you buy new construction, do NOT waive inspection. Builders are under pressure to finish the new subdivisions, lord knows what corners might get cut during construcion. If you buy an existing home and want to change things/remodel, be prepared to wait. All trades that have anything to do with houses are booked the fuck out at least months, most won't even return calls or emails they are so busy. If you buy some land and want a house built on it, I am hearing lead times of 18 months plus to break ground.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, it is crazy everywhere.
I bought my lot last year.
Home being built now.
Will be done May 1st.
I am good to go!
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 3:54:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:

I am talking about the black hills as that. Its far more left leaning than the area that surrounds it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

If you are talking about the Black Hills as the The Hills, your assessment is not accurate.

I am talking about the black hills as that. Its far more left leaning than the area that surrounds it.

I really don’t think you have any idea about the Black Hills. Huskers is correct, as am I. Hippy central, it is not. Not by a long shot. My family has been in this state when it was still Dakota territories. The Hills are the best place to get things done West River.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll move to SD just for TJs, God I miss it
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By jettcity1:
I'll move to SD just for TJs, God I miss it
View Quote

I've never gotten the love for Taco John's. I would rather eat gas station burritos than their garbage.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Hope everyone that made the move is enjoying it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top