Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 2/27/2021 8:34:57 PM EDT
Well, I'm looking to finally get out of Chicago.  Unfortuately, but fact, my mom is dying, only reason I still stayed here, she refused to leave and I live about a mile away.  

I'm looking into the areas around Lake Winnebago, pretty familiar with those areas, did business in Fon du Lac, Menasha, Neenah, Oshkosh, Appleton, etc in a former life.

Please help me narrow my search with pros/cons.  That area seems to have a lot of industry, commercial opportunities for me to work.  Can maybe work from home for a bit, we'll see.

Currently in construction management in tile, surprise, but I did work in other management including a 9 year stint at our beloved Optics Planet.  Should start an AMA on that sometime.

Ideally, I would like natural gas heat/kitchen, decent cable internet and cell phone area, no rich and diverse population.

You would be helping a rabid red Trump supporter with many LEO friends who are also pondering this, I'm not LEO, I actually do work

We have a family house on Washington Island, so I would be closer to access it if it needs work, seems that's all I do there.  Door County people are weird, Yoopers across the bay seem like they'd kill and skin me for sport.

Would Rhinelander be too far north for actual job opportunities?  I really like that town.

Let me know if there are better areas, I'm trying to stay as far away from Milwaukee and Madison as possible.

I finally want to be deeply involved in alcoholism, fish fries at supper clubs, have a huge circle around opening day of deer hunting on calendar, have my car rot away around me.  Sort of used to the car rotting.
If you die from natural causes, you're a pussy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:43:56 PM EDT
Hell, I might as well respond here too....

I love the Rhinelander/Eagle River area, but job opportunities are pretty lacking up there.  It would be a great area to retire.  It would be a long trip to get to Washington Island from there though.  I'm totally biased, but I definitely would agree with the folks in GD who recommended the Fox Valley area.  You'd be within 2 hours of Washington Island.  You could also look toward GB, that would put you even closer and still have good job opportunities.

I'm not that familiar with the western part of the state, I'm sure others will be along with information on good areas out that way.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:21:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/28/2021 12:35:44 PM EDT by rfb45colt]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WI-2021:
Hell, I might as well respond here too....

I love the Rhinelander/Eagle River area, but job opportunities are pretty lacking up there.  It would be a great area to retire.
View Quote

OP... You're doing the right thing. Been there - done that. I moved to Eagle River 30 years ago, at age 41. From S.W. burbs of Shitcago. Wife & 2 kids in middle school. Neither of us had a job. We wanted out. Badly. We talked about it for years. Finally we just said "fuck it", we're not getting any younger, and we didn't want our kids growing up in that sewer.

I wanted further away (Idaho/Montana/Wyoming), but wife insisted on being within a days drive of family. Both sides of family vacationed up north, they understood completely (both of my sisters now have summer homes up here, spend winters in FL). What we did have was enough equity in our home down there to purchase a better, bigger home up here... for cash. And have $30K leftover in the bank to live on, while we blended in and got work. Easy access to hunting/fishing/snowmobiling - and no libtards - was my only goal.  

I'm a locksmith, and my "specialty" is safe cracking. I had 5 years experience in a unique skill in demand, and the tools, equipment & inventory to start my own business... had the same business down there for 5 years, after 18 years working as a union roofer. The only person in that line of work here had just passed away, creating a huge void. Within a few years, I had the business rolling. I serviced an area from Lake Superior shores in the U.P., down to the Antigo / Merrill / Tomahawk area, and from Iron Mountain over to Park Falls. I was actually making more money than I did down south.  Now I'm retiring here.

Most of that "family" the wife wanted to be a day away from has passed away. My wife found a job within 3 days of looking after we settled in. She worked there for 14 years, then moved to a better job where she worked for another 11 years. She then retired, got bored, and went to work part-time for a snowmobile dealer & marina 1/2 mile from home.

The jobs are here, construction jobs are plentiful. But they don't pay what the same position would in a more urban area in most cases. That's the tradeoff you have to stomach to live here. Being bottom rung in seniority means you WILL work on weekends, if your employer is open. That only lasts a few years until you get some seniority, and time flies when you're having fun. But it's worth every damn penny, IMO. As long as the bills are paid, I don't need to be rich monetarily. Living where I went to "play" when I resided in Hellinois is "rich" enough for me. I'm within a 30 minute drive of a half million acres of public hunting land. I have about 1,500 lakes (no exaggeration) to choose from to go fishing. My snowmobile trailer rotted away from non-use, because the trail is 150 yds from the end of my driveway. What's the price tag on that?

Sometimes you just have to say "fuck it, let's do it".

eta: my mom's side of the family was from Mauston WI. Family's been there since before the civil war. So I bled "Green & Gold" from an early age. Go Pack.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:32:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tileguy1:
Well, I'm looking to finally get out of Chicago.  Unfortuately, but fact, my mom is dying, only reason I still stayed here, she refused to leave and I live about a mile away.  

I'm looking into the areas around Lake Winnebago, pretty familiar with those areas, did business in Fon du Lac, Menasha, Neenah, Oshkosh, Appleton, etc in a former life.

Please help me narrow my search with pros/cons.  That area seems to have a lot of industry, commercial opportunities for me to work.  Can maybe work from home for a bit, we'll see.

Currently in construction management in tile, surprise, but I did work in other management including a 9 year stint at our beloved Optics Planet.  Should start an AMA on that sometime.

Ideally, I would like natural gas heat/kitchen, decent cable internet and cell phone area, no rich and diverse population.

You would be helping a rabid red Trump supporter with many LEO friends who are also pondering this, I'm not LEO, I actually do work

We have a family house on Washington Island, so I would be closer to access it if it needs work, seems that's all I do there.  Door County people are weird, Yoopers across the bay seem like they'd kill and skin me for sport.

Would Rhinelander be too far north for actual job opportunities?  I really like that town.

Let me know if there are better areas, I'm trying to stay as far away from Milwaukee and Madison as possible.

I finally want to be deeply involved in alcoholism, fish fries at supper clubs, have a huge circle around opening day of deer hunting on calendar, have my car rot away around me.  Sort of used to the car rotting.
If you die from natural causes, you're a pussy.
View Quote

How badly do you want decent cable/internet? Cuz you will be hard pressed to find it up north. Also, realize that cell service starts to die once you get north of 64, in my experience. By the time you hit Hwy 8 you're better off not trying using it outside of the towns. Life is great up north, but it's not the same as what you're used to. Unless you live in a few select areas, you're probably gonna have to either drive farther than you expect, or order a lot of stuff online.

Travel from Rhinelander to Washington Island would be 230ish miles, so a 4-5 hour drive one way. Appleton to Wash Island is about 2-3 hours, depending on traffic.

Fox River/Lake Winnebago is pretty red for the most part. Cost of living isn't too high, you're fairly close to Milwaukee/Green Bay if you want to go for a day trip. It's a pretty busy area(employment wise) from what i can tell.

Sounds like you want just the traditional Wisconsin lifestyle. You can find that stuff all across the state. I'll be completely honest, outside of a few select cities, i don't think there is really a bad place to live in this state. I've spent tons of time up north, in the driftless, down near Monroe, up in the Fox River Valley, in Door, over in Indian Head Country. I've always found something i loved about the area.

I cannot speak to job opportunities in your specific field up north. I have always said that trades travel well, so if you can do certain jobs, you will find work.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2021 10:07:10 AM EDT by rfb45colt]
^^^ what he said about cell service, internet access, cable TV, and shopping up north is true. But it has improved a lot since I've been here. If you can't live without all that city crap, then stay in the city. Northwoods living definitely is not what you're used to.

OTOH...for me, that was exactly why we left. It's not like down there, Thank God....

Traffic? What is "traffic"?

"Rush hour"? To me, rush hour is that hour before shooting hours begin, during duck season, and I have 2 other rigs in front of me at the boat launch. Then I have to rush to my blind to get set up in time.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2021 4:36:49 PM EDT by Quiganomics]
I would suggest a smaller town like Omro or Winneconne. Both are on lakes/rivers that are part of the Winnebago system and are nice areas to live and housing prices aren't too bad. Oshkosh is becoming a shithole, Appleton is becoming another Madison in terms of libtards, and Neenah isn't too far behind.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:58:55 AM EDT
As the state continues to fill up with IL and MN people running away from the liberal utopia they currently live in. The state will turn into the same shit hole they just left. Having lived here for over 50 years I can see how things are going down the toilet.

Most the new neighbors we now have that are from MN. All had biden signs in their yards this fall.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:20:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:
As the state continues to fill up with IL and MN people running away from the liberal utopia they currently live in. The state will turn into the same shit hole they just left. Having lived here for over 50 years I can see how things are going down the toilet.

Most the new neighbors we now have that are from MN. All had biden signs in their yards this fall.
View Quote

There aren't enough conservative rural people to stop what is coming, and the spineless elected conservatives have done nothing about voter fraud in more than one election. The state is on it's way to becoming MN, IL, and NY.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:28:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:

View Quote

All the More reason why we should encourage the conservative types from IL, MN, or anywhere else to move here, instead of the libs.  

Most of the libtards in my area came from Madison... not IL or MN.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:22:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

There aren't enough conservative rural people to stop what is coming
View Quote

Exactly why more conservative people like the OP need to be welcomed here with open arms, no matter where they're coming from.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:25:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:36:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:

this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:
Originally Posted By rfb45colt:

Exactly why more conservative people like the OP need to be welcomed here with open arms, no matter where they're coming from.  

this

I second this
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:52:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2021 11:56:45 AM EDT by JVD]
Pretty much anywhere within 30 miles of Lake Winnebago is nice, pretty conservative, and you shouldn't have any lack of business opportunity. Also the area right in the middle between Madison and Milwaukee is very nice and conservative, and there are a lot of money in this area.

LP is pretty common more rural.  Natural gas you'd be living in a suburb somewhere I imagine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:34:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2021 9:47:29 PM EDT by gtfoxy]
Coming from big city life to rural WI is an adjustment. I don’t consider the 41/43 corridors N of shitwaukee as “rural”, but more urban to semi-urban with some surrounding rural areas.

For your line of desired work with excellent income potential you need expanding housing growth. That’s more small city area like Wausau, Appleton, Eau Claire, etc.

If you want to start your own business & be successful in a real rural area you need to bust your ass & develop a name for yourself, which will take time, that will undoubtedly have limited growth potential. You need to be happy with that & learn to appreciate your life you carve out for yourself.

If you can do that & be happy with what you have, treat people honestly & fairly, love what you do, live humbly among common folk that also struggle for a living, have appreciation for those people whom employ you, then you might just be cut out for a real rural life. In other words become a valued part, while having value of others, of a real community.

If not, well...
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 1:38:14 PM EDT
Thanks for the responses! I'm sort of zeroing in on the Appleton area.

How is access to ranges there, indoor/outdoor? Used to shoot some USPSA and 3 gun until it took up too much time.
Top Top