Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2018 3:36:29 PM EDT
I'm needing to get my new truck tinted but I still have to go through the inspection.  Anyone have any ideas on what to expect?  The last inspection I went through with my old truck it was a non issue, guy didn't even check it.   Should I wait to go through the inspection before I tint or will it not matter?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm needing to get my new truck tinted but I still have to go through the inspection.  Anyone have any ideas on what to expect?  The last inspection I went through with my old truck it was a non issue, guy didn't even check it.   Should I wait to go through the inspection before I tint or will it not matter?
View Quote
It's more than likely all going to depend on who you take it to. A dealer will be much more likely to check it vs a local small couple guy operated shop. Also how dark are we talking tint wise, like limo tint or just a little % past factory? That'll make a difference too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The dealer or a place like Firestone will care.

Bobs General Service Station wont care.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Never had an issue with passing an inspection with my windows being tinted at the dealership or independent shops

Most times I’ve had an encounter with police they’ll even tell me that it is illegal but they don’t care but there might be that one guy who will give you a hard time.

If you’re concerned about passing right after you get it done just wait to do it but I personally wouldn’t worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have tons of cars with blacked out windows and no issues.

Also it isn’t a point that it fails the PA inspection.  It’s not listed as an inspection item. If someone fails you for it, it is bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
There is nothing in the Inspection regs about tinted windows.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have tons of cars with blacked out windows and no issues.

Also it isn’t a point that it fails the PA inspection.  It’s not listed as an inspection item. If someone fails you for it, it is bullshit.
View Quote
At one time it was a listed inspection item and a car would fail for it.  I am pretty sure you are correct and it is no longer an inspection item although you can still get a ticket for it.

If the inspection station gives you a hard time I would ask for them to show you in the book where it fails.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Why tint?

A serious question, what is the reasoning.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why tint?

A serious question, what is the reasoning.
View Quote
Really?

Keeps the sun off you
keeps the interior cooler
So its harder to see in the vehicle
Some people like how it looks
because America.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:42:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I had 18% on my Charger and never had an issue getting it inspected. Hell, I got pulled over three times and the police never said anything about it, either
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Really?

Keeps the sun off you
because America.
View Quote
Yes, really!
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
PennDOT  Document

Window Tint Regulations
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
PennDOT  Document

Window Tint Regulations
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PennDOT  Document

Window Tint Regulations
That isn’t the inspection requirements though
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pa Inspection Manual -  See Table 10 - Page 118
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I am a mechanic, too much tint can fail in PA.

However, I've never had to fail anyone, they always seem to put things that don't pass on their car after I've inspected it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My apologies. I was wrong. So inspection stations need to have tint readers?

I’ve been to many different dealerships with blacked out windows on several different types of vehicles with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’ve been to many different dealerships with blacked out windows on several different types of vehicles with no issues.
View Quote
I'm sure most shops don't and most cops have no idea of the inspection regulations...  it seems the only time the police get concerned is when they can't see in the front side windows as they approach.   And if the cop does know about the regulations, they only usually write them when you've earned special attention from them.  I had a friend growing up who was his own worst enemy when talking to cops.. He had the right to remain silent, but his mouth wouldn't let him.  I watched a trooper who use to audit inspection garages start at one end of his car and keep writing till he got to the rear of it.  I learned a lot that night...  Tinted windows was either citation 5 or 6  and about halfway through the car. He bought hundreds of shares of Commonwealth Stock that night through those citations. And still couldn't keep his mouth shut..
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm sure most shops don't and most cops have no idea of the inspection regulations...  it seems the only time the police get concerned is when they can't see in the front side windows as they approach.   And if the cop does know about the regulations, they only usually write them when you've earned special attention from them.  I had a friend growing up who was his own worst enemy when talking to cops.. He had the right to remain silent, but his mouth wouldn't let him.  I watched a trooper who use to audit inspection garages start at one end of his car and keep writing till he got to the rear of it.  I learned a lot that night...  Tinted windows was either citation 5 or 6  and about halfway through the car. He bought hundreds of shares of Commonwealth Stock that night through those citations. And still couldn't keep his mouth shut..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wow what a guy.

To be honest I also ran dealerships, but mostly familiar with the sales side. Just took reports from service managers etc. I had read over the document you linked years ago and somehow missed it.

My one car is black with black tint and a black plate cover. Drove all over 2-3am etc in cities, rural, wherever no issues. My wife took it ONE time to target at like 4pm and got pulled over. He left her go without anything due to it being my car but he said he would ticket it the next time. No idea how I get away with it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes, really!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Keeps the sun off you
because America.
Yes, really!
I somehow missed your reply, sorry.

Good points, thanks for replying.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are reading that wrong.  That is the DOT requirements not the inspection requirements.

See Subchapter E section 175.80 this is the inspection protocol.  (source I hold PA inspection license)

(2) Check Glazing.
(i) REJECT IF any of the following apply:
(A) Approved safety glazing is not used in every windshield, window and wing.
(B) A sign, poster or other material whose design prevents a driver from seeing through the
material, obstructs, obscures or impairs the driver’s clear view of the highway or an intersecting
highway. Under FMVSS No. 205, this restriction does not apply to the rear side windows, rear
wings or rear window of trucks or multipurpose passenger vehicles.
(C) A sign, poster or other material, whose design prevents a driver from seeing through the
material, extends more than 3 ½ inches from the lowest exposed portion of the rear window, rear
side windows or rear wings of a passenger car.
Subchapter E - Passenger Cars and Light Trucks
Vehicle Equipment and Inspection Regulations • PUB 45 36
(D) A vehicle displays a sticker other than those prescribed under §175.67(c) (relating to glazing), or
displays a parking sticker in a lo cation described in §175.67(d).
(E) Glass is shattered or broken or has exposed sharp edges.
(F) The windshield is removed.
(G) There are defects in an acute area of the windshield–center of the critical area on the driver’s
side of the vehicle directly in the driver’s normal line of vision, 8 ½ inches wide and 5 ½ inches
high–or discolorations or hazardous cracks to the front, right, left or rear of the driver which
would interfere with the driver’s vision.
(H) Glass etchings, except those used for vehicle identification, are on the windshield or front side
windows.
(I) Glass etchings extend more than 3 ½ inches from lowest exposed portion of rear window, rear
side windows or rear wings.
(ii) This paragraph does not prohibit the use of a product or material along the top edge of a windshield
as long as the product or material is transparent and does not encroach upon the AS-1 portion of the
windshield as provided by FMVSS No. 205, and the product or material is not more than 3 inches
from the top of the windshield.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I've always had tinted windows, not a fan of being in a fish bowl.

My Jetta and wife's Buick had 5%, I got mine inspected at a local gas station no issues and she goes right to the dealership.

We went with 10% this time around in her Lincoln and my Golf, no issues with inspections or LEOs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

you are reading that wrong.  That is the DOT requirements not the inspection requirements.

See Subchapter E section 175.80 this is the inspection protocol.  (source I hold PA inspection license)
View Quote
Actually that is in the PennDOT inspection manual.  While you as an inspection mechanic do not have to evaluate window tint as part of your inspection of the vehicle,  Pennsylvania follows the federal guidelines that 70 % light transmission is required. Go more than 30 % tint and the police can issue you a citation and equipment repair order to comply with the regulations. Somewhere above all of this, someone said Pennsylvania has no requirements.  But that wasn't accurate,  PennDOT has requirements, and the state is making money off the confusion.

Reading Eagle today
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Actually that is in the PennDOT inspection manual.  While you as an inspection mechanic do not have to evaluate window tint as part of your inspection of the vehicle,  Pennsylvania follows the federal guidelines that 70 % light transmission is required. Go more than 30 % tint and the police can issue you a citation and equipment repair order to comply with the regulations. Somewhere above all of this, someone said Pennsylvania has no requirements.  But that wasn't accurate,  PennDOT has requirements, and the state is making money off the confusion.

Reading Eagle today
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading Eagle today
I said no inspection requirements, as in it won’t fail inspection with tint. That it isn’t a fail point. I knew/know it violating part of the vehicle code that you can be cited for.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Reading Eagle today
View Quote
We are in agreement, the inspector could, or should care less about your tint.  DOT on the other hand will care.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Former inspection mechanic, friendly neighborhood popo here,
I'm a bit slow on this one...

PennDOT unofficially removed tint as a pass/fail from the inspection process, years ago, although the table is still in the manual.

Every modern vehicle produced already has a~30% tint (70% light transmittance) from the factory. Rear windows on vans, SUVs, etc are exempt.

As far as we (the popo) is concerned, PA VC (title 75), SS4524(e), Windshield obstructions and wipers, covers it.

BUT, current case law trumps the written law and that is, any tint (non-factory) that obscures the identity of any operator or passenger, is illegal.

So, you could be legal during the day, but illegal at night, by that standard.

You can be stopped in PA for just about any, non factory, modifications to a vehicle, being cited for the same is a whole other story.

Bottom line is, won't fail inspection and most cops don't care.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Did PA inspections for 10 years. I never failed anyone for tint unless it was the really shitty purple/black garbage from WalMart or Advanced that was peeling everywhere. At the inspection meetings every year, it was always said if it's illegal by law, it was a fail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top