Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2020 8:10:30 PM EDT
My buddy and I would like to go hunting for wild boar. Neither one of us has any knowledge on hunting boar. From my understanding it’s free to hunt on public land and we don’t need to draw for it.

We are thinking Cloudcroft area but I was wondering if anyone on arfcom had any other options or any knowledge that might be helpful. We’re trying to do this Nov this year.

Are we crazy?
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/hunting/information-by-animal/unprotected-species/

I don’t know anything about them either. In for information.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea I'm aware of that link.

I checked a Facebook group too and it was pretty much inactive but there was a couple posts talking about the Judas program wiping them all out. Was wondering if arfcom had better results.

My buddy just found a link from the Fish and Game where it says call (505) 346-2640 for information.http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/download/publications/rib/2020/hunting/2020_2021-New-Mexico-Hunting-Rules-and-Info.pdf page 32.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have some buddies that have been looking for them for a few years, never to find one.  The state has aggressively been exterminating them to my knowledge through the Rio Grande corridor.  I'm unsure what the control/containment looks like out east though.  I live south of ABQ in valencia county near the river and I haven't heard of any in these parts (doesn't mean they aren't there though).
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have some buddies that have been looking for them for a few years, never to find one.  The state has aggressively been exterminating them to my knowledge through the Rio Grande corridor.  I'm unsure what the control/containment looks like out east though.  I live south of ABQ in valencia county near the river and I haven't heard of any in these parts (doesn't mean they aren't there though).
View Quote

Well a couple buddies and I are going to go for a 3 day hunt in mid November. I don’t really want to say where exactly yet but one of my buddies coworkers gave him some info that they shot a couple at the place we are going. I’ll report back with what we come up with, hopefully it’s good news :)

I know these are varmint but damn I wish they didn’t go this extreme with the Judas program. I want a pig damnit
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm definitely interested if you find any, sounds like a blast
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I totally spaced out about this thread and I’m sorry for taking so long for the AAR.

My buddy and I drove around and scouted a bunch of different areas spread out around NM for about 3 weeks and end up choosing to spend the 3 day hunt around Mayhill, NM. From our talks with game and fish and a couple of others we thought that was our best shot at the time.

Needless to say, we didn’t find any hogs but it was still an amazing time we all got to spend together out in the wilderness. We ended up with a group of 8 people and honestly couldn’t have been happier with how everything went down.

With how good of a job the Judas program did at eradicating the feral hogs in the past, I kind of knew it was going to be very difficult to find them. So for me at least it was just an excuse to get out of the city limits and just enjoy life.

Our turkey hunt on the other hand was much better and very fruitful and we are going again when the spring season opens up.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:41:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Only place I've heard of there being pigs on the regular is around Roswell. I'd love to be able to hunt some without having to leave the state.

Buddy of mine saw a small pack near Hagerman last time he visited
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I always help my uncle reduce the amount of piggies on his land.  He lives outside of Bandera, TX, on the Medina river.  We've left many a pig to be consumed by 'yotes and such, because of the numbers and finding spotted livers, and all kinds of other 'goodies' while dressing them.  Worms, worms, und Wurms.  His neighbors pay him with booze, ammo and other party favors to kill the ones on their land.....nice being retired and not having to take a piss test.

Sometimes, it's just the 'thrill of the kill' when you shoot one.  I only harvest the healthy ones.

BTW, the bacon on wild pigs tastes like chewing on a piece of creosote covered in whatever you smoke it with.  The hams are leaner and tastier, kinda like a fat black bear.  Glad we got a GSD pup, as she's cleaning the freezer out before we move to AZ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top