Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2022 10:25:11 PM EDT
Idaho bill would end most property taxes on main residences

I've never had the urge to wank off to legislation before, but this might do it...

It looks to be preemptive.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:44:36 AM EDT
[#1]
And raise sales tax to 7.85%
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And raise sales tax to 7.85%
View Quote

It's less wrong to steal money when it changes hands than it is to repetitively steal from someone because they hold something.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems too good to be true.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm I paid right around 2100.00 in property taxes last year. By bumping the sales tax up I'd have to spend $113,513.5 in taxable goods each year before I'd break even with what I'm paying now so for me it would be a decent savings and lower my mortgage by 175.00 which I'd just put into an extra principal payment each month anyway.

So far I'm liking the idea. I much prefer a fair tax that everyone pay than a tax that homeowners have to.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I am 100% behind this but they tried it before and it failed to pass.
And then Imagine how many more people would flock here as well.

The problem is that if they pass it then raise the sales tax, eventually some genius will rescind the idea and go back to taxing property AND then leave the higher sales tax rate. bait and switcharoo.

I just do not believe that it is right to tax property in that someday you may have to leave the house that you worked your whole life to pay for because the tax is out of control.
 This idea of re-valuing your property every year is horseshit.  I have to pay for local community college? dafuk?  And if I want to use that school I have to pay?
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am 100% behind this but they tried it before and it failed to pass.
And then Imagine how many more people would flock here as well.

The problem is that if they pass it then raise the sales tax, eventually some genius will rescind the idea and go back to taxing property AND then leave the higher sales tax rate. bait and switcharoo.

I just do not believe that it is right to tax property in that someday you may have to leave the house that you worked your whole life to pay for because the tax is out of control.
 This idea of re-valuing your property every year is horseshit.  I have to pay for local community college? dafuk?  And if I want to use that school I have to pay?
View Quote

Ya now that I think about it, levying a percentage against the value of your property is robbery. Even Commiefornia does it better. Based on what you paid for your home, not what it’s worth.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hate all taxes but property tax is perhaps the most egregious and would welcome replacing it with sales tax.
View Quote

I'll add another one that pisses me off to no avail. Sales tax on used goods, specifically cars.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Better plan - eliminate all property tax, keep sales tax the same, and spend less money.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
That'll sure help the land barons like Gov. Little. How to apply taxes in a fair way has always been a problem for governments. I think making sure that the ultra rich in Idaho are taken care of will probably be a good thing. Screw anyone who can't buy land outright, we can always drive to Oregon to purchase stuff and live tax free.

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#11]
And then there is this https://bonnercountydailybee.com/news/2022/mar/16/do-pass-recommendation-hb701-snp/

Why can’t they just stop trying to find ways to spend other peoples money?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And then there is this https://bonnercountydailybee.com/news/2022/mar/16/do-pass-recommendation-hb701-snp/

Why can’t they just stop trying to find ways to spend other peoples money?
View Quote

That is all government can do since it produces nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top