Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2020 9:17:44 PM EDT
My dad is trying to find a plumber to reroute plumbing through an attic. It's for a elderly widow. Her late husband did everything and she has no idea on what today. She has been turning the water off and on when she needs it.

My dad has had three different people come look at it to get a quote and no one will return his calls.

Can anyone help ? Marion County.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 6:46:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I am no help . . . but be very careful about plumbing in an attic.

I know a guy (a senior mechanical engineer) who did that in Vicksburg.

Winter came and his pipes froze and burst in his attic. It was both a disaster and a lesson.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#2]
There’s a big house in town that had the attic plumbing let go and do tens of thousands of dollars damage. Water flows down hill(Rule #2 of The Plumber’s Three Rules of Plumbing). That said, maybe Luter’s Supply in Tylertown has some insight into a good plumber in the area. I can’t remember who we used back in 2013 or else I would pass their info along. I did go with PEX for all new plumbing and have had zero issues.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Winter came and his pipes froze and burst in his attic. It was both a disaster and a lesson.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:
There’s a big house in town that had the attic plumbing let go and do tens of thousands of dollars damage. Water flows down hill(Rule #2 of The Plumber’s Three Rules of Plumbing). That said, maybe Luter’s Supply in Tylertown has some insight into a good plumber in the area. I can’t remember who we used back in 2013 or else I would pass their info along. I did go with PEX for all new plumbing and have had zero issues.
99% of new houses are piped through the attic. No one routes copper pipe in a slab any more. That method was bad on several levels.

Water piping in an attic using PEX is pretty much fool proof now, but just like everything else the quality of the install is the deciding factor.

PEX is not "freeze-proof", but it is much less like to burst if the pipe freezes. The weak spots in those cases is the fittings which on a normal install there are very few of.

@speechpathjunkie if your dad is having a hard time getting a plumber to call him back, it could be because either they are busy or the job itself is no good. Depends on what exactly the plumber is being told. Have him call them back and ask point blank why they don't want the work. Maybe the scope can be adjusted. It would be easier if the plumbers in question have an office, and not just a guy in a truck with a cell phone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top