Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2022 3:42:02 PM EDT
For anyone interested, here is your answer--- worth 8 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHrvAfrR81Q
Know your enemy! --The females can look similar to native Song Sparrows.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.  Was wondering why the hate in the stroll thread. Now I know.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Cowbirds do the same.  
Take a 22lr Stinger and further bore out the HP and it will full grenade on a little bird.......and you might find it's toes.

PS all starlings must die

Happy shooting
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Good info.  I have the dog retrieve the downed sparrows and bring them up the deck where I then collect and dispose of them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
That has got to be one happy dog!
I used to have a Border Collie mix that would go into spin cycles when I fired my pellet gun.
I would close the doggy door, make the shot, then open the door-- she couldn't get out and find that bird fast enough.

Thought I had a two-fer yesterday. Two Starlings in a knock-down drag out fight rolling on the ground.
I pegged the one on top when it was lined up with the one on the bottom.
Bottom one flew off so maybe I hit it, maybe not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For anyone interested, here is your answer--- worth 8 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHrvAfrR81Q
Know your enemy! --The females can look similar to native Song Sparrows.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505154/Sparrow_jpg-2312183.JPG
View Quote

That was really informative.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad you found it interesting. Yes, TedsHoldover is has some pretty informative stuff.
There are also other videos out there showing English House Sparrows going into Bluebird nest boxes and killing everything in it, then building a new nest on top of the dead birds.
After successfully producing broods in two Bluebird boxes two years running now, the English Sparrows have gone even higher on my priority list.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I had to chime in on the cowbird topic.  There's a guy in Virginia who is a big purple martin landlord (over 70 pairs of birds), and cowbirds are their arch enemy.  I've been to his place for the lessons he gives on the topic...purple martins only exist east of the Mississippi because of folks who set up and maintain houses for them.  Out west, native Americans made (make?) houses out of gourds for them (which is why the houses out this way are designed like that.)

Anyway...cowbirds will go into the nest of other birds (like purple martins) and lay their eggs for the resident adults to brood, hatch and feed.  Cowbirds do not take over the nest...they let the resident birds do all the work.  The hatched cowbird chicks crowd out the other chicks, who starve.  (Audubon refers to this specific bird behaviour as "parasitic.")  Cowbirds come back to the nests every once in a while to see if their eggs are still there and are unmolested.  If the cowbirds' eggs have been removed or are damaged in any way, they destroy the resident bird's eggs.  Nasty little buggers...

Those PVC gourds you see in the video that are used for purple martin houses usually have an access port in the back for the landlord to check on them and to do any required maintenance.  If cowbird eggs are present, you take them out and addle them...then put them back.  They'll never hatch, but they will be there when the adult cowbird comes back to inspect things.  Of course, if the cowbird meets an untimely end, then none of this matters.  ETA:  They're protected by the Migratory Bird Act.

Regarding bluebirds and sparrows...I've heard of bluebirds coming to the windows of the people who feed them, freaking out because of sparrows taking over their nest and [apparently] asking for help.

ps: I want one of those FX airguns.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Great info.
I have seen Song Sparrows at my feeders busting their ass to feed a freshly fledged chick that's almost twice it's size and no other chicks in sight.
Parasitic nesters indeed. I once heard this mentioned by Rush of all people. He called them the organized crime family of the bird world.
I have yet to find one of their eggs in one of my Blue Bird boxes. When I do, I will definitely fix it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven’t seen a house sparrow on my feeders in days now.  I guess I got most of them.  I was hoping for months of fun but nope.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Apparently my Crossman Legacy 1000 is currently dialed in.  

Fucker was eating my grass seed and would leave when I banged on the window.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I haven’t seen a house sparrow on my feeders in days now.  I guess I got most of them.  I was hoping for months of fun but nope.
View Quote

If I hit them too often they will either avoid my place completely or hit the feeders for just a second and leave. I lay off for a while and they come back.
Other times they are gone until a new bunch arrives.
Either way, good job!
Quoted:
Apparently my Crossman Legacy 1000 is currently dialed in.  
Fucker was eating my grass seed and would leave when I banged on the window.
View Quote

Well, it's gone now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top