Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2022 4:08:02 PM EDT
I was just up in West Hartford and my wife commented on how nice that area is.  We are looking to for a place to go to after retirement and Hartford is halfway between our family in NY and my daughter in Boston.  CT is a really pretty state with reasonable (for a nyer) housing prices and lots of good restaurants. But the politics are quickly going the way of PRNY and they won't take me because I own an evil assault rifle.  Just sad.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You are LEO, you can buy high cap mags, move here with any banned stuff you have, and can buy AWs here if your dept gives you the OK.

The rest is true tho
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
You are LEO, you can buy high cap mags, move here with any banned stuff you have, and can buy AWs here if your dept gives you the OK.

The rest is true tho
View Quote

yeah but if LEO and able to possess the "evil" stuff now, can he keep them after retirement?  if not, there is no point ...

OP, if your kids are in Boston, you might as well consider NH or ME?  no issues there.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
If you were LEO in CT, then you could buy banned rifle, but only if Police Chief signed it off. This is why some LEOs are just buying CT Others instead. You can just get it with your permit.
I'm not sure how it works with moving to CT with a banned rifle. I think it either has to be made compliant or inoperable. I could be wrong.

It would make more sense to sell your banned rifle, move here first, get a permit and then just buy CT Other or a pre-ban. Less headache.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ctgunner:

yeah but if LEO and able to possess the "evil" stuff now, can he keep them after retirement?  if not, there is no point ...

OP, if your kids are in Boston, you might as well consider NH or ME?  no issues there.
View Quote

Pretty sure the answer is yes. CT LEOs and Military (CT National Guard) have option to register them as "Assault Weapons" within 90 days when they retire. That's what I was told by one of the retired Vets who's working at a gun store.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Not CT LEO, NY.  The goal is to get to a red state or at least a purple state like PA.  NH or ME would work but it's to far from the family in NY.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

The OP appears to be from NY. If they are a NY LEO then it's possible CT's AWB and LCM exemptions for law enforcement may not apply.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sbhaven:

The OP appears to be from NY. If they are a NY LEO then it's possible CT's AWB and LCM exemptions for law enforcement may not apply.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sbhaven:

Correct.  They do not - exemption is for CT LE only.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
While I understand the niceties of equidistant travel, not only is CT forever blue, the town of West Hartford is deeper blue still.  Blue to the point of looking black.

I've lived in WH for 18 years because of marriage and work.  On its face when you drive through, it does look great.  The downtown has nearly every type of food you can name, it's very safe and very clean.  But dig a little deeper and you'll see that being a conservative voter is useless.  The Democrats run everything.  Everything.  And they are way on the progressive side.  Anything goes here and if one person points out something that hurts one's feelz, the town will instantly hop on that bandwagon without hesitation.  Everyday someone wakes up here pissed off at something.  It's quite amazing.

I'm moving but staying in the general area in a little over a year.  That I lasted this long is a miracle.  Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top