User Panel

Site Notices
Why do you Cola Warrior? (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By ORjeepguy:
I don't do it to necessarily win. I do it to improve myself. Do better than before. Try harder than the last event. Meet awesome people and see the awesome people I have already made friends of.

I love our sponsors. The prizes are great. But I don't need any of that. I need the camaraderie and good times. The party booms and great food. Heckling and despair.
View Quote

OPNI!
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:43:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#2]
7 years ago I saw some random post about a cola warrior not far from where I lived.
I followed directions to the desert in the middle of nowhere. I really knew nothing about it aside from that it was some shooting competition. I showed up with a friend and we drove right up to the start of the obstacles. Everyone thought my friend was Chris Costa. I tried to do hard things and vomited in the desert with strangers cheering me on or um... encouraging me. I didn't do terribly well. I still haven't really figured out how to chug.

I was inspired to improve myself further. That has never really born itself out in my time or placement (though one year I busted my butt and managed most of the obstacles and even chugged 4 cans). The past couple of years my personal improvements haven't had anything to do with cola warrior. It seemed absurd to drive to the middle of the dessert to meet friends and strangers year after year to try to do obstacles I know i didn't prepare for and would fail at, to not know there is an extra button on this particular ak, forget that I am eating peeps, to fail obstacles and still be too much of a pussy to do more than walk the half mile, to rely on all 140 rounds of ammo and still not neutralize all targets and to vomit in the desert surrounded by strangers and friends after just 2 cans of soda.

You can get better at cola warrior, you can win awesome prizes (The sponsors have been more generous than I could have imagined)and you can make great friends. All of that is wonderful but in a fucked up world doing something so crazy and stupid that makes you uncomfortable just to make yourself do it can be the only thing that makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Obo2:
7 years ago I saw some random post about a cola warrior not far from where I lived.
I followed directions to the desert in the middle of nowhere. I really new nothing about it aside from it was some shooting competition. I showed up with a friend and we drove right up to the start of the obstacles. Everyone thought my friend was Chris Costa. I tried to do hard things and vomited in the desert with strangers cheering me on or um... encouraging me. I didn't do terribly well. I still haven't really figured out how to chug.

I was inspired to improve myself further. That has never really born itself out in my time or placement (though one year I busted my butt and managed most of the obstacles and even chugged 4 cans). The past couple of years my personal improvements haven't had anything to do with cola warrior. It seemed absurd to drive to the middle of the dessert to meet friends and strangers year after year to try to do obstacles I know i didn't prepare for and would fail at, to not know there is an extra button on this particular ak and forget that I am eating peeps, to fail obstacles and still be too much of a pussy to do more than walk the half mile and to rely on all 140 rounds of ammo and still not neutralize all targets and to vomit in the desert surrounded by strangers and friends after just 2 cans of soda.

You can get better at cola warrior you can win awesome prizes (The sponsors have been more generous than I could have imagined) you can make great friends. All of that is wonderful but in a fucked up world doing something so crazy and stupid that makes you uncomfortable just to make yourself do it can be the only thing that makes sense.
View Quote

"Sometimes....the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity"
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Hangout with friends pretty much. Always good company.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I think that this quote previously sums it up pretty well

“We equate comfort with happiness to the point where we’re so comfortable we’re miserable. There’s no struggle in our lives. No sense of adventure. We’re never too hot or too cold, we get in an elevator, drive our cars, it all comes easy. What I’ve learned is that I’m never more alive than when I’m pushing and I’m in pain. I’m struggling. I’m gasping for air. I’m afraid. And it is in that struggle where I think the magic is.”

I am older, 52 with kids that are 11 and 7. Work and all the other things in my life are fun but I surely do crave the competition and also it drives me to get outside and run, go to the gym, improve my shooting. Doing a Cola or other type of match is a great place to judge your progress. There are always things to work on and I know for me that the thought of an upcoming Cola or Run-n-Gun match is what pushes me to train every day and not go easy and slack off.

Additionally these events can also involve night vision. I have run one Cola in the day and two at night. I think that I will stick to NV runs only. Once you get started shooting under NODS it just makes everything else seem easy and is extremely fun.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I added a new reason at West this year.

To do well enough to motivate the younger fitter people do better than this fat lazy guy who's over the hill. Several people reran to knock me out of top 10 on that basis.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By nvgeologist:
I added a new reason at West this year.

To do well enough to motivate the younger fitter people do better than this fat lazy guy who's over the hill. Several people reran to knock me out of top 10 on that basis.
View Quote

Team Beat [Redacted] was a success!
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can shoot under stress, you'll do alright at a Cola War.

If you can chug, you'll do alright at a Cola War.

If you can obstacle, but can't shoot or chug, you're gonna have a bad time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By nvgeologist:
If you can shoot under stress, you'll do alright at a Cola War.

If you can chug, you'll do alright at a Cola War.

If you can obstacle, but can't shoot or chug, you're gonna have a bad time.
View Quote

I’m gonna have a bad time….

But I’m gonna make the best of it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:34:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Seiran:
The fact that Baja less than a week after having stents put in whipped about thirty people that were younger and in better shape than him should be a huge wake up call to a lot of people.
View Quote

If I could get a couple stents put In I bet I could get top10.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:18:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Kolat:

If I could get a couple stents put In I bet I could get top10.
View Quote
Cyborg upgrades!
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JohnStoner:
Meeting the best people. Constant improvement and competitiveness. Enjoy watching others do their best, learn and improve. Observing someone realize an AHA! moment and the pieces click into place.
View Quote

Also JohnStoner " It's not a cult...here, drink this"

Went to NW2 because it was close, I went to NW3 because it was close and 2 was pretty fun.

I went to West because I wanted to fulfill my promise of running combat with my free Esstac plate carrier, totally worth it.

Ten out of five stars, would not change a thing.

You guys rock and you know it. Never change.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Why do you Cola Warrior? (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top