Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2020 7:04:48 PM EDT
I moved here form Texas years ago, I fish Willard, Pineview reservoir, and local layton reservoirs. I am using senkos, ned rigs, texas rig, wacky. I’ve gone fishing 5 times this year, no catches yet. What gives?
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only fished for the various types of trout around here.

I've usually had success on some variation of Jakes or Panther Martin spinners. And I don't consider myself to be any kind of a fancy fisherman. I just throw them in when we took the scouts camping.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Bass fishing this time of year here is tough.  What are the water temps?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Water temps are way too cold for bass to be active in the northern half of the state yet. They perk up when the water temp gets above 45.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've only fished for the various types of trout around here.

I've usually had success on some variation of Jakes or Panther Martin spinners. And I don't consider myself to be any kind of a fancy fisherman. I just throw them in when we took the scouts camping.
View Quote

Panther Martins for Bass? Panther Martin is the go to for trout.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I have crank baits like that, didn’t get a bite yet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bass fishing this time of year here is tough.  What are the water temps?
View Quote

I don’t know, im guessing 37-40, I am thinking this is the main issue with Pineview reservoir.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Water temps are way too cold for bass to be active in the northern half of the state yet. They perk up when the water temp gets above 45.
View Quote

This is what I’m thinking.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Look for the ponds stocked with them.  Guy I know just got 5 last weekend.  He does those community pond places.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]
so I have 3 different boats, all different configs.

Pineview: I have caught 1 fish there, it was the smallest little bass I have ever seen.
I thought it was turd of moss, then I saw a cute lil fish. aww I thought.
Carefully got him off of the hook and back in the water.
I have never caught another fish there.
Used all three boats, my favorite is a cabin boat setup for "good times" and power downriggers.

I have had some luck at other lakes, pineview is very close to me and overall fun as long as you don't expect to catch fish.

My favorite: Strawberry!

I run the big trolling boat, has a cabin, downriggers are the shit.
I catch atleast 3 good size fish each time
downside, I use 20gallons of fuel to get there, and another 20 gallons on the lake.
Worth the trip IMO.

Looking to sell the two smaller boats at this point.
But then again I had fun restoring the 3 boats a few years ago. The "v3" boat is the final version.

ETA: Trout, one key thing... when you pull them out of the water: Gut them right away.
Huge difference in the way the taste (assuming your not one of those catch and release hippies)!
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ETA: Trout, one key thing... when you pull them out of the water: Gut them right away.
Huge difference in the way the taste (assuming your not one of those catch and release hippies)!
View Quote

Oh my goodnesss, yes.

A few weeks ago my friend took myself and my fiancee ice fishing for the first time. We both landed identical cutthroats from the Scofield Reservoir. Beautiful fish. I'm a spearfisherman so I am used to ikejime'ing every fish I get immediately (icepick or knife to the braincase). I left it on the ice. She cut the gills and bled hers instead, and it took awhile to expire.

We got home and I fired up the smoker. I smoked them whole after gutting them. She was eating hers and I was eating mine. I'm mostly done with the meal and it's one of the best tasting fish I've ever had, and she is making funny faces and hardly touching hers. I thought she was being fussy and she thought I was overselling it. I tried a bite of hers. It was terrible, like stagnant pondwater. Mine was amazing and clean and she loved it. Same species, same hole, same age, 5 minutes apart. Entirely because hers struggled and released a lot of histamines/stress hormones.

Brain them and gut them immediately, amazing difference. I am out of the habit of gutting immediately just because I am used to being in the Pacific with my catch pinned on my belt . . .
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#12]
What was said above about water temp being too cold, so instead hitting the shallow local ponds. It's too early for bass in the lakes. Medicman was right on with crawdad looking baits. I've also done well with jigging leech of different colors for different days.
But hey Tex, this is blue ribbon trout country. It's time you got yourself a fly rod. The rivers here are a gem.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top