Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2019 10:41:44 AM EDT
When the hell are they going to topcoat the highway and what are all of those concrete rectangles they're cutting into it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#1]
It fucking sucks,  I try and not drive on 84 because of the traffic.  I’m struggling to figure out what the state is doing,  why cut up a road that you just paved and put concrete blocks in it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Im so glad my commute is now less than 8miles round trip
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why cut up a road that you just paved and put concrete blocks in it?
View Quote
Because it's better than cutting up a road that you just paved because you realized that the drainage wasn't actually connected to anything?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because it's better than cutting up a road that you just paved because you realized that the drainage wasn't actually connected to anything?
View Quote
Hahahahaha
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think it has anything to do with drainage. There's no curbing or catchbasins in any of that roadway.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
A number of years ago, the state repaved a long section of RT34 in Derby.

Immediately afterward, someone I knew was stuck in traffic on the same part of the road.  Traffic was being held up by a state crew marking up parts of the fresh pavement.

Since traffic was at a standstill, he was able to ask the road crew why they were marking the road.

It seems the contract to pave the road came due before they had a chance to patch bad parts of the road.  So, the state had mapped out all the bad spots, and were now coming back to cut up the new pavement to fix the base underneath!

Only in CT!
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It fucking sucks,  I try and not drive on 84 because of the traffic.  I’m struggling to figure out what the state is doing,  why cut up a road that you just paved and put concrete blocks in it?
View Quote
Because someone's brother, cousin, wife, brother in law, son, father.... owns a business that is benefiting in some way shape or form.

I only drive it at night, which REALLY sucks. It's like playing Mario Kart trying to dodge stuff.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's the reply I received from the District IV Construction  Administrative Assistant:
"The concrete pads that are poured are repairs to the concrete pavement that is under the asphalt.  Once the concrete repair work is complete the Contractor will pave with asphalt to provide a smooth riding surface. "

My question is, why don't you do this before putting the first layer?
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Because DOT Construction Div. does not communicate with DOT Bridge Dept who doesn’t communicate with Highway Maintenance Dept. and so on and so forth.

Add in low bid contractors who are way over booked, and project monies that have to be spent in an allocated time frame regardless if all stages of highway betterment’s have been completed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
What A SHIT HOLE We live in.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I travel this on my commute to work, as it's already January I guess they don't plan on paving it till the Springtime now? Maybe the snow plows will shave down the concrete to be level with the asphalt by then?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#13]
The heaves will gladly raise enough of it to ensure the plows don't miss
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top