Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2023 10:00:08 PM EDT
Took the boy out for an awesome outing today.

I can't think a better way to spend a goregeous winter day with my 6 year old son than grilled hot dogs, a yuge Mt. Dew, some good fishing on the ice!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure beats staring at the TV.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sure beats staring at the TV.
View Quote

...and playing video games.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You got that right! I got a nephew that’s 5 days younger than him, if it doesn’t involve a video game or a tablet he has zero interest.

My kids are trying to bankrupt my toy fund with 22 ammo and 2 stroke outboard oil, which is perfectly fine with dad.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#4]
That's awesome. I love ice fishing. My kids love it too, so long as the fish are biting. Though they seem to have fun running around and sliding on the ice too!
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 1:55:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Very cool. That will be a great memory for him.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Racine County pike

Attachment Attached File

Sturgeon Bay for perch

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I just started to get into it. I took the kiddos out yesterday. I need to invest in a hub to get us out of the wind.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Gotta love it!!  Here are my submissions.

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just started to get into it. I took the kiddos out yesterday. I need to invest in a hub to get us out of the wind.
View Quote

If I may make a suggestion, shelter and heat are almost mandatory to keep kids interested. If you have multiple small children I would suggest getting at least a 4 person insulated hub and invest in a buddy heater with a 5 lb propane tank.

If it's just you and one kid, buy a 2 person flip over shack,  insulated of course.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I may make a suggestion, shelter and heat are almost mandatory to keep kids interested. If you have multiple small children I would suggest getting at least a 4 person insulated hub and invest in a buddy heater with a 5 lb propane tank.

If it's just you and one kid, buy a 2 person flip over shack,  insulated of course.
View Quote

One more thing is a floor!
I use weight room interlocking mats from a buddies weight room he didn't want.
A little bit of extra weight but are worth it keeping gear dry while supplying traction.
Mr. Buddies will thaw a 2" pool of water inside a insulated hub.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#11]
The best eating fish is a Large Mouth Bass through the ice.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#12]
You’re not the first person I’ve heard that from. I can’t say I would personally put a largemouth bass near the top of my “best eating” fish list.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You’re not the first person I’ve heard that from. I can’t say I would personally put a largemouth bass near the top of my “best eating” fish list.
View Quote

It’s gotta be through the ice.

Summer bass is different.

The amount of meat you get from a bass is great.  That upper front area of the filet is a big hunk of fish, white and flakey.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#14]
You're a good Dad!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You're a good Dad!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't caught crap around here. Heading to Lake of the Woods this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I do not like fishing on ice
Nor do I like catching lice
To freeze my butt off is not nice
Somewhat like a bowl of rice.

Yeah, sorry, I got nothing.  Glad the kids are having fun. Not my thing.  Hell, no time for it between wrestling and tae kwon do.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Put the ice gear away for the season today. Southern end of the state has been poo for ice this year. My poor boat is starting to look awfully lonely and is in need of some walleyes in the livewell soon.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:35:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Put the ice gear away for the season today. Southern end of the state has been poo for ice this year. My poor boat is starting to look awfully lonely and is in need of some walleyes in the livewell soon.
View Quote

Males just started hitting last week before the Fox River went above flood stage (10.0 ft.)

Launch at the park in Silver Lake at the "F" bridge and head up river,  hitting the holes along "W".

Walleye is open year round, with a limit of 3 at 18", changed a few years ago from 5 at 15".

Purple is the color of choice along this stretch,  be it plastics,  lindy rigs, or crank baits.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll have to check that out Chukar, thank you! I personally like vertical jiggin eyes while drifting.

I'm normally a Wolf River/Bago system guy when I target them but I'll try to fish them anywhere. After spring though, it's nothing but panfish for me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'll have to check that out Chukar, thank you! I personally like vertical jiggin eyes while drifting.

I'm normally a Wolf River/Bago system guy when I target them but I'll try to fish them anywhere. After spring though, it's nothing but panfish for me.
View Quote

No problem!

The nice thing is that it's not crowded.

I also fish the Wolf and Rock systems,  but I can't stand crowds.

Also,  the white bass run is usually pretty good after the walleye .
More so if there is a good shad run coming up from the Chain O' Lakes in Illinois .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top