Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 3/18/2020 9:22:04 AM EDT
Just a little light shaking.....

Edit: 5.7, I guess it was bigger than I thought.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I am, everyone I know is fine.  That was nothing like what I expected.... It felt too... gentle.  Lots of movement, but it didn't feel very harsh at all.

I'm probably 10-15 miles from the epicenter.  I expect old, unreinforced masonry buildings closer to the epicenter will have some cracks for sure.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Northern Utah checking in.  All good.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Few miles west.

Computer monitor fell and broke. Other small things fell from the shelves.

No house damage I can tell.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Magna checking in. All good here.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're in Tooele? I have a rental in Tooele; hope it's OK.
View Quote
Erda coulple miles north.

It will be fine. Maybe some cracks in the bricks if anything ( if you have that)
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm normally up at 0430, so I was out letting the dog take a dump.

She came in, when all of a sudden I felt a violent shaker with what looked like lightning in the distance (arcing up north on power lines I think).

Trees were shaking, house was going up and down, then settled into left-to-right swaying that remained swaying for a while.

Birds were flying out of the trees frantically, dogs barking, followed by Kennecott alarm siren going off.

I've been through a lot of quakes in SoCal and Japan, and this was a much shorter, violent quake that presented much differently from what I'm used to.

I'm not far from the epicenter in West Jordan.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Spilled 12,000 gallons of hydrochloric acid from Kennecott down towards Tooele, over the containment barriers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
It woke me up, like someone put some coins in my bed.
First earthquake for me!
Garbage day here, so my dog had his bark collar put on the night before.
Heard the dog bark and yelp seconds before it started.

Went through the security camera footage a min ago with the wife to see if anything interesting was there.

Saw the dog looking very concerned 10min before it started, then ran inside to bark.

Poor lil guy.
He made me proud today.

Now if he would stop barking at the garbage truck @ 6am
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 2:02:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Spilled 12,000 gallons of hydrochloric acid from Kennecott down towards Tooele, over the containment barriers.
View Quote
What was it spilled from?
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SALT LAKE COUNTY (ABC4 News) A 5.7 magnitude earthquake struck the Wasatch Front Wednesday morning causing a hazmat situation at Salt Lake Valley refinery.

The earthquake caused a hydrochloric acid leak at Rio Tinto Kennecott’s refinery forcing it to halt all operations and evacuate personnel.

A chemical plume was released at the refinery and moved toward the Great Salt Lake, Salt Lake County emergency officials said.

At the request of Governor Gary Herbert, the Utah National Guard was deployed to assist the Unified Fire Authority in monitoring the situation.
https://www.abc4.com/news/top-stories/earthquake-update-national-guard-deployed-to-monitor-kennecott-spill/
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I felt the 4.06 last night, (downgraded to 3.95).

I was watching the chronology of the BoM on YT, when the ground started wobbling left and right under me in the basement.

Looked over at the walls, which were jiggling too.

Nobody else in my home noticed.

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top