BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/4/2019 8:54:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of night vision thermal imaging device are you using?
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#3]
It’s on my list for the future. It’s just hard to justify the cost, but do want.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve got a handheld Pulsar but I mostly use it for scouting.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a lowly set of PVS-7B's. I've got a buddy with a REAP-IR. I ever win the lottery, I'll be picking one up.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an AB micro helmet set up. I've tried to poke coyotes with it a couple times but it just doesn't give me a lot of range. Really need an IR for detection and a better illuminator for shooting under the NV.

So mostly it gets used for shooting rats in the barn
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Last night was pretty good.  Snow will help.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an AB micro helmet set up. I've tried to poke coyotes with it a couple times but it just doesn't give me a lot of range. Really need an IR for detection and a better illuminator for shooting under the NV.

View Quote
And Chipmunks
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And Chipmunks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Chipmunks

I could have murdered bunnies last night.  God they were everywhere.  I have a S&W MP22 set up with an IR laser and can for shooting pests.  The IR illuminator on my monocular may not be useful for much, but it sure makes indistinguishable bunny shaped dark spots into distinguishable sets of eyes out to 40-50 yards.

Mostly I was just walking around trying to spot any deer milling about so I didn't shoot anything.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I could have murdered bunnies last night.  God they were everywhere.  I have a S&W MP22 set up with an IR laser and can for shooting pests.  The IR illuminator on my monocular may not be useful for much, but it sure makes indistinguishable bunny shaped dark spots into distinguishable sets of eyes out to 40-50 yards.

Mostly I was just walking around trying to spot any deer milling about so I didn't shoot anything.
View Quote
MN recently passed using NV and thermal for fox and coyotes. Have a pvs 14 handheld for spotting, and 4x NV on suppressed AR. Hope to get more use out of it this year.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I just have an atn x-sight. It works OK for what it is, and a good ir light gives me good vision out to 150yds.
Better than being blind, but it is heavy.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It’s on my list for the future. It’s just hard to justify the cost, but do want.
View Quote
Same here.
Have funds, but just can't justify cost.
Unless shtf, but then it's too late to purchase, much less train with.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Have a GP PVS-14, I’ll be upgrading to WP DTNVG’s next year at some point.

So far I’ve smoke 14 coyotes under NODs, mainly just have fun shooting steel and messing around in the woods and on the SxS.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#19]
@USSRangerSM

Oconto and Marinette.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just have an atn x-sight. It works OK for what it is, and a good ir light gives me good vision out to 150yds.
Better than being blind, but it is heavy.
View Quote
I bought one of these when Cabelas was closing out the bargain cave.  I'm really not happy with it. I only tested it inside the house, but it just doesn't perform well enough for field use.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 1:14:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Buddy has a pulsar I think trail 50?
Videos he has sent me are amazing! Said around 5-6k if I remember right?

Recently played with a flir pts 233? It was amazing! I was just in the store but looked at rifle on wall I had handled prior, grip and for end still hotter than the rest of rifle.  Followed a guys foot steps around store then went outside and played around. It was around $2,200 and I want one bad now!
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I bought one of these when Cabelas was closing out the bargain cave.  I'm really not happy with it. I only tested it inside the house, but it just doesn't perform well enough for field use.
View Quote
I bought a better ir light and it made a huge difference.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just a lowly set of PVS-7B's. I've got a buddy with a REAP-IR. I ever win the lottery, I'll be picking one up.
View Quote
A buddy of mine sells IR sights, I made the mistake of looking through the REAP-IR before looking at some of the lower prices units.  Once you've fondled the REAP-IR, everything else looks like shit.  I especially love the ghost outline screen.  But like you, I'll get one when I win the lottery.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#25]
For those of you looking for a better IR illuminator (and laser for that matter) there is a thread in the NV forum that discusses the Perst brand of lasers. They have an excellent laser based illuminator and high powered adjustable power laser that is on par with the US manufactured PEQ restricted lasers. I have a feeling that once the FDA gets wind of them, they'll ban them from import and you'll lose your chance to get them. If I didn't already have an older PEQ2 that already has that same ability, I jump on one of these in a heartbeat.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Perst-3-lasers-/18-495277/
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For those of you looking for a better IR illuminator (and laser for that matter) there is a thread in the NV forum that discusses the Perst brand of lasers. They have an excellent laser based illuminator and high powered adjustable power laser that is on par with the US manufactured PEQ restricted lasers. I have a feeling that once the FDA gets wind of them, they'll ban them from import and you'll lose your chance to get them. If I didn't already have an older PEQ2 that already has that same ability, I jump on one of these in a heartbeat.

View Quote
Awesome, thank you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd love to be in the game but at the moment it's just not quite economically viable
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Awesome, thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, thank you.
The Perst-3 or Perst-3+ is the one that really piques my interest. That would be the one that I'd buy that I think is most similar to a PEQ in capability, and I really like the PEQ2.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The Perst-3 or Perst-3+ is the one that really piques my interest. That would be the one that I'd buy that I think is most similar to a PEQ in capability, and I really like the PEQ2.
View Quote
Yeah I watched a couple videos linked in that thread.  The Perst-3 would definitely expand my horizons and capability.  I don't need a super bright green laser for anything, just a slaved visible for daytime zeroing, so saving a couple hundred bucks on that version is probably what I'll do.

Up until this point I was planning on buying a Holosun LS321R, but the Perst is lightyears more performance for the price difference.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I really like the way the laser can be use basically for an IR light  for a long distance by adjusting the dot all the way out.
I kind a struggle with the fact they are from Russia. I'm not hearing anything bad about Ivan...But still if I'm gonna spend that amount of money I want Something from this country(At least bought from a company here, That will take care of warranty here)...IDK
View Quote
Black Phase Tactical
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I am working on getting into the game.
Leaning toward a pvs14 first, then a thermal scope for coyotes.
Maybe get a flir breetch instead of a pvs14, but I feel like I would still want night vision anyways.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The most important part for Coyote hunting in my opinion, Is having thermal to scan with.
I tried using a thermal scope on the gun for scanning , That is a PIA.

I am using the night vision for the kill, And thermal Handheld unit for spotting.

(I am not saying you shouldn't get a thermal scope )
View Quote
Thanks for this. It's been what I've been thinking. As cool as a thermal weapon sight is I think I'm going to get a handheld monocular.

Then a clip on NV.

Being glued to a rifle to scan sucks during the day, it's got to be even worse at night.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The most important part for Coyote hunting in my opinion, Is having thermal to scan with.

I am using the night vision for the kill, And thermal Handheld unit for spotting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am working on getting into the game.
Leaning toward a pvs14 first, then a thermal scope for coyotes.
Maybe get a flir breetch instead of a pvs14, but I feel like I would still want night vision anyways.

Are you using a scope or red dot with your NV setup? Helmet mounted?

Also I believe using an IR laser for coyotes is illegal in WI correct? I'll have to have a separate rifle set up for IR laser training and shooting.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#39]
PVS 7a for about 20 years now. IR laser on a G17 and AR.

Riding my ebike at night i roll up on all kinds of night  visions.

I don't patrol around the farm at night with headlights, they been busted out on my farm truck forever now... I picked up some serious "industrial" IR illumination for my rides on those moonless nights.

My goggles were built in 85, still going strong with a few small flaws, but the clarity is spoiled on me after viewing modern gear. I had coyote hunters out with all kinds of night vision and thermal. Flew a drone over my place that had IR imaging and thermal looking for a cave entrance, that was super cool and some of the thermal hardware was not that out of line/crazy on price.

I'm wavering on replacing/upgrading my 7's tubes or selling the 7 and putting the money on getting a new 14.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Also I believe using an IR laser for coyotes is illegal in WI correct? I'll have to have a separate rifle set up for IR laser training and shooting.
View Quote
You're not allowed to scan/spot with light, only use light for the point of kill. Lasers and ir illumination is fine, to make the shot.

Scan detect with thermal
Switch to NV and laser/illumination make the shot.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You're not allowed to scan/spot with light, only use light for the point of kill. Lasers and ir illumination is fine, to make the shot.

Scan detect with thermal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scan detect with thermal
So is this just another case of the hunting regs saying supressors and SBRs are illegal, but in reality there is no law against them?
Just want to be 100% sure
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#43]
So is this just another case of the hunting regs saying supressors and SBRs are illegal, but in reality there is no law against them?
View Quote
The only NFA items that are restricted from hunting are Machineguns and DDs.  SBR/SBS and suppressors are legal.  I called the DNR back in 2010 and spoke to a guy named Scott Loomans.  He removed the verbage from the hunting regs once I proved to him that it was legal to own NFA in WI.  Sure enough, in 2011, all the SBR/SBS/suppressor restrictions were gone.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That looks fun!!

Where was this at?
View Quote
Bear Arms range in Mequon
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scan detect with thermal
They consider IR illumination to be "a light" no different from a spot light. I don't think it matters whether it's an IRLED or a laser illuminator.

There's nothing in the regs I saw about thermal or laser aiming devices.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They consider IR illumination to be "a light" no different from a spot light. I don't think it matters whether it's an IRLED or a laser illuminator.

View Quote
That is the interpretation I that Ive have had from the local warden, IR is a no go
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That is the interpretation I that Ive have had from the local warden, IR is a no go
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For scanning or spotting.  Illuminating at the point of kill is ok, whether with visible light or IR light.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scan detect with thermal

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That is correct
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For scanning or spotting.  Illuminating at the point of kill is ok, whether with visible light or IR light.
That is correct
Yep, I asked a warden about this over the phone. I had to explain it a couple of times. I scan with thermal and once a coyote is located I am legal to use my Sightmark Photon on my rifle to shoot the yote.

I'm in the thermal game...I have two Trail XQ38s. One of these days I should mount one on a rifle
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top