Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/5/2023 8:19:13 AM EDT
That seems damn excessive
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#1]
31% increase in evaluation for me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Government has an insatiable desire for more and more tax revenue.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Property tax owed, or increased property valuation? They are not one in the same.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Nearly 25% for me.

I know, I know you only pay 3% more (state-wide avg), but that's annually. So it'll catch up eventually.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Just a tad over 18% evaluation for me…

Heard some ugly ones at work today too from coworkers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#6]
$ value goes down so your taxes have to go up to meet the gov't need for more $
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#7]
28%.  Yikes.   That's 51% increase since 2019.  That's the assessed value increase, I guess we'll see how the calculation comes out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep. Just plan on a 3-5% annual property tax increase for eternity. Have yet to see a jurisdiction lower their rate based on the massive valuation increases. Huge windfall for government inefficiency.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#9]
We got hit for a 22.5% increase.

They are blaming it on the hot real estate market the last 2 years, could be part of it but not the only factor in the increase.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#10]
19% for me.  
I think they went for broke because the Iowa legislature has a couple of bills up for debate about reining in the property taxes.
Got this from my local rep today.

We continue to receive questions and concerns from taxpayers all over the state as county assessors send out updated property tax assessments to Iowans. Taxpayers from Sioux City to Davenport are concerned about how the rise in assessments will impact their property tax bill. KWWL reported some viewers said they received 50% to 60% jumps in their assessments. Home assessments in the Des Moines area are reportedly up by record amounts. WalletHub recently released 2023’s Tax Burden By State, putting Iowa among the worst states for property tax burdens. The rapid rise in property tax assessments is a concern we have heard about since last spring, and we’ve heard even more about over the last couple weeks.

I do ask you to keep in mind that Iowa law requires the state to apply the residential rollback, which will limit the statewide taxable value (as opposed to the actual assessment value) to growth of 3%.

We have heard these concerns, and it is our primary focus as we head into these last scheduled weeks of the legislative session. Several proposals in the legislature to address these concerns and alleviate the burdens on Iowa property taxpayers are being considered in both chambers. Senate Republicans are focused on getting to the core of the issue by simplifying and consolidating the number of levies used by local governments, limiting levies that seem open-ended for additional spending, reinstating hard levy caps, providing a series of controls to protect taxpayers, and eliminating loopholes abused by local governments to exceed limits that had been set by law. We are asking local governments to follow the Senate’s example. We are simply asking local governments to control spending, invest in important priorities, and give taxpayer money back to those who earned it. Senate Republicans have used these principles to guide us the last several years and it has put us to the strong fiscal place we are today.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Can you give me some numbers for context?  Say for a three bed, 2 bath house with 2 car, or a 320 acre farm?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#12]
My 5 acre and 3000 sq ft house went from 330 to 450k
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you give me some numbers for context?  Say for a three bed, 2 bath house with 2 car, or a 320 acre farm?
View Quote

2 bed 1.5 bath house in town
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My 5 acre and 3000 sq ft house went from 330 to 450k
View Quote

Wow
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I am in Black Hawk and mine went up 50k not sure how it will all pan out though
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#16]
$40,700. Increase in Valuation in one yr.

Where they are way off on valuation is the recently sold comparable properties had to be brought to perfect condition to get VA or FHA financing. I’ve been in several of the houses on my street and most would take thirty thousand to bring them up to sellable condition. Several of them are owned by elderly on fixed income so they can’t afford repairs and maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#17]
my evaluation went up a tad more than $60K...  they'll roll it back, but our local school pushed their percentage way up, so it'll be a rollercoaster ride to the new number.  it won't be the end of the world, but it'll be up a noticeable amount after the dust settles.

yes, the legislature acted, but it won't amount to a hill of beans, and here's why...  not discernable difference in taxes will be realized unless spending is cut.  and since they didn't cut spending, the taxes will continue to be collected to pay for the mandates of government.

if we were smart, we'd continually ask how spending has been cut with every pitch we're offered by politicians.  that's the key.  when they don't cut spending and shitcan silly programs, the tax will be collected, whether that be by the city, county, the state, at a gas pump, when you buy a new mower, or whatever.  if spending doesn't slow or reverse, there IS NO tax cut despite what is said.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
my evaluation went up a tad more than $60K...  they'll roll it back, but our local school pushed their percentage way up, so it'll be a rollercoaster ride to the new number.  it won't be the end of the world, but it'll be up a noticeable amount after the dust settles.

yes, the legislature acted, but it won't amount to a hill of beans, and here's why...  not discernable difference in taxes will be realized unless spending is cut.  and since they didn't cut spending, the taxes will continue to be collected to pay for the mandates of government.

if we were smart, we'd continually ask how spending has been cut with every pitch we're offered by politicians.  that's the key.  when they don't cut spending and shitcan silly programs, the tax will be collected, whether that be by the city, county, the state, at a gas pump, when you buy a new mower, or whatever.  if spending doesn't slow or reverse, there IS NO tax cut despite what is said.
View Quote

so true
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Appealed and had $90k reduction

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top