Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sethelarian:
Temple, A little far North but I dont mind the drive for some shenanigans.

Worked in Pflugerville for 4 years, until I went back to college.
View Quote

Also in Temple for now, but building a house in Salado.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:06:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Meeting someone in person before handing over personal information is a better idea.
View Quote

Generally the best idea.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Some of y'all have expressed privacy concerns (a few in IM) and I was wondering how to handle that. The easiest thing would be for me to keep the list and have certain restrictions as to who can access it - but how? Let's say we get someone that has malevolent intentions (doxxing, etc); how would a person like that be vetted from obtaining access to the information? This is only a concern if we start adding actual addresses; the current method just knowing that a guy with screen name XYZ lives in a certain part of town isn't quite enough info to doxx them I think...

[ETA] I think we'll keep it informal like now. A lot of us already have met some folks and have swapped contact information. Meeting someone in person before handing over personal information is a better idea.
View Quote

Well, I mean, don't stand up and wave your hand in a "do you live in Austin?" thread would be a good privacy mechanism if you're worried about it. I'm not worried, obviously.

Easy enough to find me (or most anyone else) if you're motivated.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:28:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: skid2041] [#5]
Where do people such as Zhukov, swingset, & subnet eat breakfast Tacos?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Manchaca
I pronounce it men chah' ka or sometimes just "north Buda" but never "south Austin"
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cspackler33:
Manchaca
I pronounce it men chah' ka or sometimes just "north Buda" but never "south Austin"
View Quote

It's man-chack
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:32:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cspackler33] [#9]
Originally Posted By TexasOutdoorsman:

It's man-chack
View Quote

I thought so too when I lived in Austin.
Then I moved here and didn't like saying it that way.

I always wanted to make one of those get together dinners but I used to work every Saturday night.  Came back to htf awhile later and they were kaput.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:56:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: skid2041] [#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By skid2041:
Where do people such as Zhukov, swingset, & subnet eat breakfast Tacos?

Juan in a Million

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/13/73/9d/64/juan-in-a-million.jpg

Ah, yes. Not bad. I have recently found a glorious taco truck on Burnet, north of Anderson Ln. In the parking lot of a Chevron.

They make awesome burritos & tacos. Plus, their salsa Verde is amazing (& hot).

ETA: I would have thought you all would have gone to something less touristy. Kind of disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:23:37 AM EDT
[#11]

I always wanted to make one of those get together dinners but I used to work every Saturday night.  Came back to htf awhile later and they were kaput.
View All Quotes

It's man-chack

The "cheesecake"/"cold war" crew get's together just outside of Austin twice a year at least. Check out the threads.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m west of Austin in a few different places including Spicewood, Horseshoe Bay and Lampasas. Looking forward to seeing y’all again in March.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#13]

ETA: I would have thought you all would have gone to something less touristy. Kind of disappointed.
View Quote

Well, Juan In a Million is close to our real goal. We were giving Subnet the Homeless Experience, showing him the tent cities, shopping cart-derby, and hipster alley.....what's more Austin than that?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Great food but I am staying far away from downtown Austin if I can...

If you are up in Georgetown, you can do worse than Tortilleria Y Taqueria San Pedro Limon, it is just off the IH35 Williams Drive exit.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By swingset:

Well, Juan In a Million is close to our real goal. We were giving Subnet the Homeless Experience, showing him the tent cities, shopping cart-derby, and hipster alley.....what's more Austin than that?
View Quote

The homeless are now setting up their tent cities in Wilco. Just a month ago I saw none in Wilco. The Commie sheriff comes in and now the underpasses are full.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#16]

It's man-chack
View All Quotes
Manchaca

It's man-chack

I always said Man-Shack, then I met some folks named Manchaca and they said I was the only white boy to ever get it right

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bobweaver:
I’m west of Austin in a few different places including Spicewood, Horseshoe Bay and Lampasas. Looking forward to seeing y’all again in March.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:03:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swingset] [#18]
Originally Posted By wolfjflywheel:

I always said Man-Shack, then I met some folks named Manchaca and they said I was the only white boy to ever get it right

View Quote

One of my favorite things, as an Ohio transplant, is purposely saying all the local names wrong. I know how 99% of them are pronounced, but I do it wrong just for fun. And, I can do a good texas drawl so I say it wrong with the right accent just to see if anyone gives me a weird look.

Drives my GF nuts.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#19]

One of my favorite things, as an Ohio transplant, is purposely saying all the local names wrong. I know how 99% of them are pronounced, but I do it wrong just for fun. And, I can do a good texas drawl so I say it wrong with the right accent just to see if anyone gives me a weird look.

Drives my GF nuts.

View All Quotes

Drives my GF nuts.

I was born/raised/lived in Austin till about 10 yrs ago, I always loved giving directions to out of towners with the original street names.

Hell I still call MLK  19th street
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

That makes complete sense. Perfect area.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#22]

There are two reasons why I will continue to go to Juan's at just about any time: The Don Juan and their enchilada special Monday/Thursday.
View All Quotes

Ah, yes. Not bad. I have recently found a glorious taco truck on Burnet, north of Anderson Ln. In the parking lot of a Chevron.

They make awesome burritos & tacos. Plus, their salsa Verde is amazing (& hot).

There are two reasons why I will continue to go to Juan's at just about any time: The Don Juan and their enchilada special Monday/Thursday.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:08:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cspackler33] [#23]

I was born/raised/lived in Austin till about 10 yrs ago, I always loved giving directions to out of towners with the original street names.

View Quote

That's pretty much why I make a point of pronouncing it the way I do.

I have yet to call Congress bridge "Anne Richards", it's still town lake, and I like to sneak a little extra into Cesar commie Chavez St.

When city council clears out homeless camps and labels the constant city hall protests as "insurrections", I'll reconsider.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#24]
105 miles south on I-35, but that's nothing in TX, right?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
View Quote

in tx, anything less than an hour is "just down the road."   san antonio is "just down the highway."
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:27:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm a little ways past SA, but close enough for gov work!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I call it Town Lake, even tho it's the fucking Colorado river.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#29]

I'm sorry, but that's too far away from the rest of us cool kids.
View Quote

Yeah, that's pretty near half way to Mexico from here...  :-)

Drive time wise, not that far off.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#30]

That's pretty much why I make a point of pronouncing it the way I do.

I have yet to call Congress bridge "Anne Richards", it's still town lake, and I like to sneak a little extra into Cesar commie Chavez St.

When city council clears out homeless camps and labels the constant city hall protests as "insurrections", I'll reconsider.
View Quote

I call it Town Lake, even tho it's the fucking Colorado river.

View Quote

Ditto

Godamn hippies ruin everything, Aquafest, Drag Boat racing, the best swimming holes, hell they even ruined the music scene in my opinion by letting the homeless junkies rule with impunity downtown.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
View Quote

Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:

Yeah, that's pretty near half way to Mexico from here...  :-)

Drive time wise, not that far off.
View Quote

Nothin' to it.

I used to jump in the truck on a Friday after work and drive all over creation just to go hunting.

When you make it south of 410 on 35 you can let up on your deathgrip of the steering wheel a little now.

Devine a little calmer, Pearsall Austin who? Dilley home free baby.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Central/west
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#33]
central.  smack dab in the middle
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By fender_fella:
central.  smack dab in the middle
View Quote

I dig the headstock in your avatar....is it yours? Reminds me of Buck Owen's flag guitar.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#35]

I dig the headstock in your avatar....is it yours? Reminds me of Buck Owen's flag guitar.
View Quote

You are actually correct...

It is a special edition Buck Owens model Telecaster that Fender put out a number of years ago.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MDog26] [#36]

It's man-chack
View Quote

As it has always been . . . and always should be.  Since I was born and raised north of the river, we said “man shack”.  I lived off of Manchaca and Jones Road for a year back in 1981.  Living south of the river was like living in a foreign country.  It sucked.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Nothin' to it.

I used to jump in the truck on a Friday after work and drive all over creation just to go hunting.

When you make it south of 410 on 35 you can let up on your deathgrip of the steering wheel a little now.

Devine a little calmer, Pearsall Austin who? Dilley home free baby.
View Quote

Carne guisada at pacho garcias for dinner
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Home base is the upper reaches of Bull Creek . . . technically, NW Austin.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#39]

You are actually correct...

It is a special edition Buck Owens model Telecaster that Fender put out a number of years ago.
View Quote

Sweet. I have a picture of me somewhere when I was 7 at a HeeHaw taping standing next to Buck and Roy Clark and he's holding that guitar. Loves me some telecasters, too.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Sweet. I have a picture of me somewhere when I was 7 at a HeeHaw taping standing next to Buck and Roy Clark and he's holding that guitar. Loves me some telecasters, too.
View Quote

I got a Tele, but it is a Squier Classic Vibe neck on a natural finish solid ash body...  Not 'real' Fender, but it plays nice.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#41]
There are job openings for me in Austin. I’m seriously tempted.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By denverdan:
There are job openings for me in Austin. I'm seriously tempted.
View Quote

You'd be giving up the expensive Colorado real estate and liberal bullshit for....uh....expensive Austin real estate and liber....ya know what? It's warm here and we have 8,000,000 taco joints.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#43]

I got a Tele, but it is a Squier Classic Vibe neck on a natural finish solid ash body...  Not 'real' Fender, but it plays nice.
View Quote

All mine are builds or knock-offs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#44]

All mine are builds or knock-offs.
View Quote

Same here.  The only real Fender I have is a 1977 Strat.  Unfortunately those late CBS era models are pretty much regarded as junk, so it isn't even worth much.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#45]

You'd be giving up the expensive Colorado real estate and liberal bullshit for....uh....expensive Austin real estate and liber....ya know what? It's warm here and we have 8,000,000 taco joints.
View All Quotes
There are job openings for me in Austin. I'm seriously tempted.

Oh yeah I understand Austin is a liberal shithole but at least the state as whole isn’t.

La Grange is an option for me as well. Wherever that is haha.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Oh yeah I understand Austin is a liberal shithole but at least the state as whole isn’t.

View Quote

A haw haw haw...

La Grange is about an hour east of the Austin Bergstrom Airport on 71...  depending on how fast you drive of course.

Home of really good Kolaches and Kablaneks.  Sadly the Chicken Ranch is long gone and not a trace of where it was is even there anymore.  Damned Marvin Zindler.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:50:57 AM EDT
[#47]

A haw haw haw...

La Grange is about an hour east of the Austin Bergstrom Airport on 71...  depending on how fast you drive of course.

Home of really good Kolaches and Kablaneks.  Sadly the Chicken Ranch is long gone and not a trace of where it was is even there anymore.  Damned Marvin Zindler.

View All Quotes

A haw haw haw...

Decent place to live?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Decent place to live?
View Quote

It looks like it.  I only know one person who lives there, but he seems to like it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#49]
La Grange is growing like crazy. Looked at property there last year which eventually sold to a developer for subdivision. Half of it was flood plain too. Proximity to South and East Austin makes it popular for commuters who work in those areas.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top