Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2020 5:48:39 PM EDT
If I am going to bring one of my AR15s to NY, which fixed mag, mag lock thing do I want?  

DDsranch? All star tactical? Something else?  Basically just want to get the best one.  

I visited NY This past weekend and got our apartment for the next year.  I was so caught up in the gun laws that I didn’t realize how beautiful it was going to be in upstate NY.  I’ve never been up there before.  Absolutely beautiful.  Bunch of anti Cuomo signs everywhere lol.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
None.  They are horrible.  I got a really bad double feed jam that I could not fix.  

I couldn't drop the magazine, and couldn't separate the upper and lower.  I was literally scared I would get hurt trying to free the jam with tools.  

I felt it was unsafe to try and get it home in that condition plus maybe it was illegal driving around like that?  Plus what gunsmith would take a loaded and jammed gun from me?

I was at my local range and there was no one else there to lend a hand or advice.  

I thought I was out of options but one, and that was to scratch off the serial number, wipe off any fingerprints, walk out into the woods, dig a hole,  and bury the gun.  I seriously contemplated that.

In the end, I took a chance and put a screwdriver in and pried out the live rounds out.  I felt like a bomb squad tech defusing an IED.

Fuck that mag lock bullshit.  I would rather take a chance breaking the law with an "assault weapon" than ever put a mag lock on any of my guns ever again.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Some years ago on another board a guy posted how he turned his into fixed mags with like $2.00 of parts from the hardware store and it works. I'll see if I can dig it up.
For a hunting AR going fixed is fine, but if I was doing a HD gun I would rather have an abortion AR that allows for mag changes.

Here is what the guy wrote

Go to the hardware store, I went to Value.

Buy a 10-32 pitch 9/32x3/4 round base tee nut fastener for $2
Buy a neoprene rubber washer for .25 cents.

Then place the washer over the fastener

Trim the washer to the same size as fastener.

Remove your mag catch button and spring.

Install your mag first, then install your new fastener.

Smear some epoxy over the new lock.
Paint it black.

Remove pivot pin, load mag from top.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Like anything else bastardized for "compliance" they suck, but you do what you have to do to keep from being done.
We install these: https://www.bulletbutton.com/Default.asp
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  I’ll only be there for a year so gonna leave all my AR15s at my uncles.  I’d like to take one though and can deal with the fixed mag for a year.  Fucking stupid laws (preaching to the choir here).  
What pisses me off the most is not being able to take my pistols.  Then they say it’s a 8 month wait for a permit.  I gotta be there 6 months before I can even apply for one.  Would be moved back to Ohio before I even get it lol.  Had a pistol since I was 8, ccw for years and years.  Still can’t be trusted with a pistol I guess.  Trusted with my bolt actions though, I guess I couldn’t possibly hurt anyone with those.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]
DDs or All-star.  Either one is fine if that is how you are going .  Throw a 10 round lancer or pmag in it so you can pull the base plate/spring/follower in the event of a catastrophic failure.  Buy a couple Bear flag Defense bf-10s so you can actually reload the damn thing in some semblance of a timely fashion.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Torque Precision FC hook is the best option imo.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Torque Precision FC hook is the best option imo.
View Quote

So watching a utube video on clearing a double feed with the FC installed I see the mag can be removed with the plastic tool though. Not sure if this would fly here even though I like that option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4BZ1v5bEj4&feature=emb_rel_end
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So watching a utube video on clearing a double feed with the FC installed I see the mag can be removed with the plastic tool though. Not sure if this would fly here even though I like that option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4BZ1v5bEj4&feature=emb_rel_end
View Quote

Sad as it is, I think that is treading in dangerous waters too.  The CompMag even states you need to epoxy the fixing screw to be "unsafe" and this would follow along the same path.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Just lock a 10 round P mag into the receiver using a cheap mag lock, if you get a malfunction just open up bottom of magazine and have rounds fall down. I’ve owned 22 AR-15s and have had only 3 malfunctions in 50,000 rounds. I only load 5-10 rounds at a time and slow fire. 20” AR15 Colt is moat reliable.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
DDs or All-star.  Either one is fine if that is how you are going .  Throw a 10 round lancer or pmag in it so you can pull the base plate/spring/follower in the event of a catastrophic failure.  Buy a couple Bear flag Defense bf-10s so you can actually reload the damn thing in some semblance of a timely fashion.
View Quote

Do this. It will make going to the range bearable, and legal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top